Newest Member
    CHSVol
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude..enough..we get it. IDC

There's just as many people that use fertilizer that don't.

Again..do what you want..and so will i

It shouldn't be a matter of "doing what you want." There's a responsibility to society involved in life. Obviously being a Republican businessman you don't understand that, luckily some of us see things better...

It shouldn't be a matter of "doing what you want." There's a responsibility to society involved in life. Obviously being a Republican businessman you don't understand that, luckily some of us see things better...

Obama has done great things for this country.. We came within an hour of a gov't shutdown..the economy sucks. oil and gas are sky high..unemployment is higher than ever. Good choice.

You don't see anything better than me. Take your preaching hippy ways the hell out of my thread..and head to Woodstock or somewhere where someone cares

Obama has done great things for this country.. We came within an hour of a gov't shutdown..the economy sucks. oil and gas are sky high..unemployment is higher than ever. Good choice.

You don't see anything better than me. Take your preaching hippy ways the hell out of my thread..and head to Woodstock or somewhere where someone cares

Better than what Bush did: two unfinished wars, world economic crisis in March 2008, no health care....

Oil and gas aren't high because of Obama...they're high because more people are using them, and less is being produced, at least from conventional sources.

I don't think I see everything better, but the short-sightedness on this issue is pretty astounding. Amazing that you could turn your yard into a Superfund site, as Pete would say..

Well there is value in your property/resale value for having a nice lawn and ourdoor space. However, generally it is for keeping up with the jonses purposes ; being more fixated upon what others think of you than necessary. I'm guessing it is no different than the cars we drive being status symbols, some people are actually shallow enough to judge others on their lawns, I'm sure. lol

Fertilizing itself isn't bad. It's the blind application of off the shelf solutions without testing the soil - and quite often the over application of fertilizer that does the damage.

If I didn't have my soil tested I'd likely waaaaayyyy over fertilize.

A well landscaped property increases property values in the area. It can be done without polluting the environment.

Lol. He's been an awesome president don't you read ap? Gas isn't high we are just experiencing a free market. It's only tough to find a job if you are unwilling to work at mcdonalds or Denny's. Hope and change we can believe in.

Politics and lawn threads come on nzuck.

Fertilizing itself isn't bad. It's the blind application of off the shelf solutions without testing the soil - and quite often the over application of fertilizer that does the damage.

A well landscaped property increases property values in the area. It can be done without polluting the environment.

Exactly, there's ways to have a nice yard without being a polluter...plenty of organic fertilizers are available, there's plenty of ways to remove crabgrass without chemicals, etc. If I can grow my entire vegetable garden organically, I'm sure you people can figure out how to grow a field of grass organically...And I agree, one of the biggest mistakes is that people fail to have their soil tested for pH and nutrients, so they don't know where they are starting in terms of fertilizer application.

Well yeah, I'm aware of that. I have no problem with fertilizers as supplements, I'm not going to organize a boycot chain at the Home Depot around the fertilizer section over it. However, there's plenty of naive and primitive people want to just apply it liberally thinking they are helping when infact they're just torching themselves for several years to come and adding to the problem.

Lol. He's been an awesome president don't you read ap? Gas isn't high we are just experiencing a free market. It's only tough to find a job if you are unwilling to work at mcdonalds or Denny's. Hope and change we can believe in.

Politics and lawn threads come on nzuck.

One of the few things we agree on lol...politics :thumbsup:

Kev, should I wait a week or 2 to start with the starter fertilizer? A little north and colder than you...

No green here yet

Also, when should I overseed?

I would overseed ASAP..should have done this weekend..and apply the starter fertilizer the same day.

Both should be done before the soaking rain on Wednesday

Then there's 2 nice sunny days in the 60's Thursday and Fri

I would overseed ASAP..should have done this weekend..and apply the starter fertilizer the same day.

Both should be done before the soaking rain on Wednesday

Then there's 2 nice sunnys in the 60's Thursday and Fri

Last of the snow just melted today :lol: Granted, most of the yard was clear, but I was pretty busy.

I also had moles do damage on the south side of my yard...:axe: That means grubs

Does Agway do soil testing?

I'm in a pretty woodsy area where most people don't see much of each other's lawn.

I have a brother who used to work doing Chem-lawn, and now does organic applications... well, sorta organic ;)

I suck at lawn care... we usually have a nice looking yard for about a month or 2 before something kills it.

I mow and rake and add a little fertilizer, but I prefer to have the kids running around on it than letting it look like a museum

We don't have much lawn here in the suburbs...the front is filled with a Weeping Cherry tree, Rhododendron (looks amazing in mid-spring, but doesn't last long)...and then a ground cover of Pachysandra...the back is a concrete patio for grilling/entertaining surrounded by Hydrangea, then a level up is the vegetable garden, and then higher up we just let the forest and Forsythia bushes mingle since it's the beginning of a huge nature preserve anyway.

That organic stuff is crap..I would never use that on my lawn. If it's so good why don't the golf courses use it.

I know how to water. Been doing lawn stuff since I was a teenager.

My soil is acidic due to all the trees. Lime needs to put down every yr in most yds with trees.

Please don't preach to me Joe

You do what you want..and I don't tell you how to do it

Vineyard Club on Marthas Vineyard is a pretty good example of a 100% organic golf club, looks like they are doing just fine, you dont have to tell me about golf courses and what it does to the environment, its pathetic, they are poisoning us and the land. I guess it makes you feel good though to poison tolland, the oceans and your family, hey best of luck with your chemicals.......................ENJOY!!

Vineyard Club on Marthas Vineyard is a pretty good example of a 100% organic golf club, looks like they are doing just fine, you dont have to tell me about golf courses and what it does to the environment, its pathetic, they are poisoning us and the land. I guess it makes you feel good though to poison tolland, the oceans and your family, hey best of luck with your chemicals.......................ENJOY!!

wait a second, there isn't much room for competition on Marthas Vineyard for golf courses, so it is not as though cutthroat competition from the other 15 courses on the Vineyard is going to force them to use cheaper methods..

I'm going to guess using organics is less financially viable than the alternatives due to application and maintanence. Just a guess though. In most cases, it just does not make sense for a business to spend more than it must on time and labor/upkeep.

In your example , it's most likely an anomaly. Also , I'm sure they're using the "100% organic" as a selling point which makes sense, are they not? The environmentalists must eat that up.

Overall I agree with you 100%, however golf courses are in business to make money not be friendly to the envioronment - and as long as the practice is allowed, it is what it is and not much will change.

Better than what Bush did: two unfinished wars, world economic crisis in March 2008, no health care....

Oil and gas aren't high because of Obama...they're high because more people are using them, and less is being produced, at least from conventional sources.

I don't think I see everything better, but the short-sightedness on this issue is pretty astounding. Amazing that you could turn your yard into a Superfund site, as Pete would say..

LOL thanks I needed a good laugh to start the work week and that did the trick! Also funny reading the nature-loving posts - made from a computer or smartphone, containing lead, mercury, and cadmium, and using electricity generated most likely from burning coal - all posted while a beautiful spring late afternoon passed. Irony abounds.

I love a lush, green lawn, it's right up there with a tropical sandy beach as far as bare-foot walking enjoyment goes. That's an appreciation of nature right there.

As far as over-seeding: is it necessary to use an 'overseeder' machine, or are you talking about throwing down some grass seed? My lawn isn't thin enough for sprinkled grass seed to make good contact (I don't think) but I'd like to overseed at some point.

Often in suburban areas the alternative to a golf course might be a subdivision, strip mall, etc.... So if I see an old defunct farm being converted to a GC then that seems like the more desirable and asthetically pleasing thing....even if they do use pesticides etc.

wait a second, there isn't much room for competition on Marthas Vineyard for golf courses, so it is not as though cutthroat competition from the other 15 courses on the Vineyard is going to force them to use cheaper methods..

I'm going to guess using organics is less financially viable than the alternatives due to application and maintanence. Just a guess though. In most cases, it just does not make sense for a business to spend more than it must on time and labor/upkeep.

In your example , it's most likely an anomaly. Also , I'm sure they're using the "100% organic" as a selling point which makes sense, are they not? The environmentalists must eat that up.

Overall I agree with you 100%, however golf courses are in business to make money not be friendly to the envioronment - and as long as the practice is allowed, it is what it is and not much will change.

Often in suburban areas the alternative to a golf course might be a subdivision, strip mall, etc.... So if I see an old defunct farm being converted to a GC then that seems like the more desirable and asthetically pleasing thing....even if they do use pesticides etc.

Definitely, I'd rather have the golf course as well. More competition = generally lower greens fees/rates and higher standards.

alright folks, I went out and bought a bag of Lesco crabgrass preventer from Home Depot--twice the cost of the Scott's stuff...will apply this week depending on rain forecasts....I dont do much more than Crabgrass preventer and then the fall feeding...lawn holds up ok for most of the summer without anything further....

-

My question is, why is the Lesco so much better? (I've had trouble with CG still coming through in spots even though I've put CG preventer down all 8 yrs that I've lived here-so willing to try something new)

I don't even care about crab grass. Any grass is just grass to me. :) I was just happy to get a decent covering on my baked clay soil here after this place was built 5+ years ago. The first year was a dust bowl.

alright folks, I went out and bought a bag of Lesco crabgrass preventer from Home Depot--twice the cost of the Scott's stuff...will apply this week depending on rain forecasts....I dont do much more than Crabgrass preventer and then the fall feeding...lawn holds up ok for most of the summer without anything further....

-

My question is, why is the Lesco so much better? (I've had trouble with CG still coming through in spots even though I've put CG preventer down all 8 yrs that I've lived here-so willing to try something new)

Archived