• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The infamous SNE lawn thread

Damage In Tolland

Fertilizing itself isn't bad. It's the blind application of off the shelf solutions without testing the soil - and quite often the over application of fertilizer that does the damage.

If I didn't have my soil tested I'd likely waaaaayyyy over fertilize.

A well landscaped property increases property values in the area. It can be done without polluting the environment.

this

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It shouldn't be a matter of "doing what you want." There's a responsibility to society involved in life. Obviously being a Republican businessman you don't understand that, luckily some of us see things better...

dear lord.

just a guess, but gradually as you get older, are further removed from college, get married, have kids etc....your positions on some of these things will change.

i remember having the same opinion when i was younger.

life just changes as you get older i think. different responsibilities.

It's encouraging to me to see young people have an awareness though, blind negligence is everywhere. Knowing how much to apply and when is a benefit to all. Agree that intensity wanes as priorites change but awareness of personal responsibility to our surroundings should not. It pisses me off to no end to see punks throwing crap out the window, fast food stuff, plastic bottles etc. Wish more were like tubes really.

It's encouraging to me to see young people have an awareness though, blind negligence is everywhere. Knowing how much to apply and when is a benefit to all. Agree that intensity wanes as priorites change but awareness of personal responsibility to our surroundings should not. It pisses me off to no end to see punks throwing crap out the window, fast food stuff, plastic bottles etc. Wish more were like tubes really.

oh certainly agree with that. can't stand that crap...but not from an environmentalist standpoint...just from a "be a fookin adult" perspective.

my feeling is, be a nice guy...be a good neighbor...be good to your family/raise your kids the right way...and don't try and tell people what to do. i don't have a responsibility to you, and you don't have one to me. LOL.

Regarding the maintaining of a meticulous lawn. Trust me....once you get away from the east coastal area subdivisions, etc....... a lot of American's have lawns that look like dumps. LOL But that isn't a desire to protect the environment on their part...no they are just slobs basically....

And as far as keeping a meticulous lawn....they do so also in most of Western Europe, but as noted in my earlier post, they go in more for a garden of various plants and less emphasis on the open grassy lawn. But for the most part they also keep their garden's neat and meticulous in the places I'm familiar with such as Germany, Austria, UK.....

My assumption is that they use some chemicals though.... In Germany for instance they are so meticulous that you almost never see any brush growth, weeds etc. along the edge of fields (between the field and the road). I am suspicious that they are spraying that roadside area to keep that growth down...not sure how else it could look so perfect.

name='CapeCodWeather.net' timestamp='1302616378' post='625231']

this

The amount of trash along the roadsides in my area (probably the US in general) is disgraceful. I have a bum who throws his coors beer cans along part of my fields once or twice every week. I'd love to have a hidden cam or something and catch that guy. On the plus note I guess I make about $5 a year in deposit money from him. ;)

But now that I think about it ...the 5 cent deposit is a total joke today and deters very few people. It's been 5 cents since the 80s... I think if you made it about 25 cents it may have some deterrent value.

Your buddy Socks started throwing his opinion into the mix and then decided to offer the same opinion 10 different times..then to add insult to injury ..brought politics in for good measure

You and Socks are the only people I've ever put on ignore. You are in good company!

HAH ..I remember at that GTG I went to in Northampton. Nate and Kevin got into a minor dispute over McCain vs. Obama, before we returned to wx analysis. :) My family since I was a little kid and they used to argue over Nixon/Watergate was always into nice political arguments at GTG's etc. so it doesn't bother me really as long people can put it aside in the end and not let it be personal.

You and Socks are the only people I've ever put on ignore. You are in good company!

I never mind when Kevin is irrationally exuberant about snow chances. I understand 100% since I'm the same way. :snowman: When he was pulling for torches last Summer it got difficult.

Kevin had one comment near July 1st or so, about the impending torch that made me LOL. It was an indirect comment to people like Pete......something in the lines of " I pray, oh do I pray for those that don't have air conditioning...." Turned out to be a hell of a torch.

There's no harm in talking about the environmental effects of lawn fertilizers of which there are many. But it's a life choice just like anything else.

Organics are much better for the environment because they release much more slowly/naturally. Products like Lesco are probably the next best thing.

But again many of you are wasting money if you don't get your soil tested.

http://www.ludlow.ma...ts/fertiliz.pdf

No doubt fertilizers are choking our waterways. But again it's personal preference. http://www.chesapeakebay.net/news_lawnfertilizerreport.aspx?menuitem=57211

Kevin had one comment near July 1st or so, about the impending torch that made me LOL. It was an indirect comment to people like Pete......something in the lines of " I pray, oh do I pray for those that don't have air conditioning...." Turned out to be a hell of a torch.

LOL...That's exactly what it was... I had so much fun last summer

Somehow I survived. I think there were 2-3 nasty days last year, no big deal.

That was awesome...

And Pete with his locks of hair blowing in the mountain breezes...

Archived