• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3.5-6 obs and discussion - rain! (and some snow!)

Ian

Odd distribution of snow in my neighborhood. Not a flake on my lawn, but the soccer field about 30' lower in elevation had snow in between the clumps of grass. Some cars had snow, some didn't. Really marginal temps, so I guess that would explain it. 33.7° was my low.

I noticed the same thing in my neighborhood in Herndon. My lawn was clearly snow-covered, while my neighbor's -- at virtually the same elevation -- was not.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed the same thing in my neighborhood in Herndon. My lawn was clearly snow-covered, while my neighbor's -- at virtually the same elevation -- was not.

Has to do with ground temps and where water had saturated for me. Anywhere the ground was soaked the snow melted - any shaded or drier area ha snow on it (Mulch piles, leaves, decks)

BTW this is one of the RARRE times when DC is snowing while boston is 45 and rain.

Ummm, probably not as rare as you think, I can think of a number of times when the DC-Balt corridor was receiving a backend snow while Boston was getting rain....all about storm track

I don't like everyone else talking about their back yards in one thread. We should have separate threads for everyone.

This. I don't enjoy reading about everyone getting snow/sleet last night when all I got was rain.

ION can you make me my own subforum please? Thank you.

This. I don't enjoy reading about everyone getting snow/sleet last night when all I got was rain.

ION can you make me my own subforum please? Thank you.

Eh who cares, in most cases people only got an inch or less, save for the western MD mountains and terrain of WV....they can have it, if its going to snow again make it a big one, I myself am a snowlover but im getting kind of tired of the little nuisance dustings to an inch type crap, if thats all its goign to do then bring on spring and 70 degrees.

Eh who cares, in most cases people only got an inch or less, save for the western MD mountains and terrain of WV....they can have it, if its going to snow again make it a big one, I myself am a snowlover but im getting kind of tired of the little nuisance dustings to an inch type crap, if thats all its goign to do then bring on spring and 70 degrees.

There really needs to be a sarcastic emoticon made...

How bout these?

:rolleyes:

:wacko:

:facepalm:

:axe:

those are the best for sarcasm.

It's my own fault - I should have known better that Chris would have taken my post about needing my own subforum seriously.

It must be the lack of hair or something....

Usually our weather stats are almost the same, so I was surprized you only had 0.5" of snow. In north Hagerstown, we picked up 2.2" of snow on the ground with a bit more on cars. Melted precip was 1.94" in my gauge. Seasonal snowfall is now 24.8", so we are closing in on our long term "norm" of 28".

I see the Gerg Keefer had 1.82" and 2.0" of snow at his station a couple of miles south of me.

Final storm totals for here:

1.71" of total precip. 1.42" of rain, 0.06" of sleet, 0.23" of snow.

0.5" accumulation on the snow board, 1.0" on cars. Season's total now 20.3"

He must live high up on the mountain side below the Shenandoah Natl Park. No one in the valley record 4-5" of snow. Browntown is at the bottom of the mountain in the northern shenandoah valley. Even star Tannery , VA which is over 1000 feet up got an inch or so.

Surprised at the Bluemont, VA report of 2.5", NWS employee sent that one in, impressive but also I can beleive it since the LoCo sheriff dept last night was saying Rt 7 was a mess with cars off the road late last night.

It is quite possible.

I got a good half inch + overnight but didn't see a flake fall. I swear it must have changed over the moment I closed the window blinds and put my azz to bed. Bathroom break around 5am I was surprised to see all the white outside. Snowman.gifThis puts my snowfall at 29 inches thus far. 35" is normal. Still a little ways to go. Maybe mid March can pull it out.

At one point last night we had a ground covering in Stephens City, but it all either melted or sublimated in the very strong winds we had all last night (once again kept awake most of the night). Surrounding mountains were very snow-covered this morning. My fiance's parents live in Warren County (Rt 522 S) below Chester Gap and had 6-inches of snow. Recieved the attached photo from them this morning. Unreal.

I can confirm the Browntown snow report. A coworker of mine lives about 6 miles up on (not in elevation) Browntown Rd and had in excess of 3 inches. This was mostly an elevation dependent event.

On a side not, there was another surprising lack of moisture in Stephens City. I checked my rain gage last night and measured just a hair above .7 inches. Thinking that must've been an error I checked the local weatherbug station (R E Aylor) and it reported .86. That's only 1 mile from my house, so although my gage my have been slightly wrong (will have to evaluate its location and orientation), the lack of precip is confirmed. Winchester Regional reported 1.1 I believe, and Front Royal reported 1.33. I've lived in Stephens City since July, and for every precip event this place underperforms, with the exception of the wind. I can't understand this. The geography is similar to Winchester, MRB, etc, could it really just be coincidence? I wish there were records to check the history, but the records use Winchester as the reference.

post-5003-0-23723400-1299520119.jpg

Usually our weather stats are almost the same, so I was surprized you only had 0.5" of snow. In north Hagerstown, we picked up 2.2" of snow on the ground with a bit more on cars. Melted precip was 1.94" in my gauge. Seasonal snowfall is now 24.8", so we are closing in on our long term "norm" of 28".

I see the Gerg Keefer had 1.82" and 2.0" of snow at his station a couple of miles south of me.

I noticed the difference just across the bridge when I drove into Md on I-81 this morning. You must have just been a degree or two colder at the onset. I had the liquid equivalent to have similar totals to yours, but lost a lot to melting conditions early on.

Top of South Mt. looked to have about 3" when I crossed it around 7:30 a.m. with a lot of ice in the trees too. I was really tempted to hit the Appalachian Trail, but gotta make a living.

It's my own fault - I should have known better that Chris would have taken my post about needing my own subforum seriously.

It must be the lack of hair or something....

Or its my luscious V from my chest to my ball fro...I get that you were joking about the subforum stuff but I thought you were serious about jealousy of people reporting snow :snowman:

Or its my luscious V from my chest to my ball fro...I get that you were joking about the subforum stuff but I thought you were serious about jealousy of people reporting snow :snowman:

I don't think I will ever be able to get that mental image out of my head. Perv.

It is quite possible.

At one point last night we had a ground covering in Stephens City, but it all either melted or sublimated in the very strong winds we had all last night (once again kept awake most of the night). Surrounding mountains were very snow-covered this morning. My fiance's parents live in Warren County (Rt 522 S) below Chester Gap and had 6-inches of snow. Recieved the attached photo from them this morning. Unreal.

I can confirm the Browntown snow report. A coworker of mine lives about 6 miles up on (not in elevation) Browntown Rd and had in excess of 3 inches. This was mostly an elevation dependent event.

On a side not, there was another surprising lack of moisture in Stephens City. I checked my rain gage last night and measured just a hair above .7 inches. Thinking that must've been an error I checked the local weatherbug station (R E Aylor) and it reported .86. That's only 1 mile from my house, so although my gage my have been slightly wrong (will have to evaluate its location and orientation), the lack of precip is confirmed. Winchester Regional reported 1.1 I believe, and Front Royal reported 1.33. I've lived in Stephens City since July, and for every precip event this place underperforms, with the exception of the wind. I can't understand this. The geography is similar to Winchester, MRB, etc, could it really just be coincidence? I wish there were records to check the history, but the records use Winchester as the reference.

Well I was wrong and admit it. That is pretty amazing how localized this was in some locals then. Pretty wild actually. :thumbsup:

Archived