• B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D+
    • D
    • D-
    • F

Meteorological winter is over in 4 hours for us. How did it rate? Reasoning desired.

I give it a B for MBY. 19.7" of snow is 82% of climo and 2 months were below average, probably making the entire winter below normal. Bonus points for thunder sleet.

A! 22in of snow in Norfolk. Seasonal average is around 7in. Simply the most amazing season I have seen in my lifetime! Sorry you guys elsewhere weren't so lucky.

8th snowiest season on record. Dec26 storm was the third largest snow on record

I went C+ for here. It would have been a C- or a D+ if it wasnt for the Thundersnow Jan 26. Plus we got a foot so that helped curve the grade somewhat. the last storm busted here and made it a C+ overall for the Met winter time frame

Seasonal average is 24"

and well 15.9" is the total :snowman:

For a big La Nina, not bad, but against all winters, definitely a C is as high as I'd go. 12.2" for the winter.........sucks, but the Sustained Cold, ZR event(s), Nice Winds, and the blessing of 70F+ in between makes it ok.

Definitely could have bveen alot worse.

I thought you would have graded it an A+. You always got the good wx there

I thought you would have graded it an A+. You always got the good wx there

:lmao:

C- minus for me, while the Jan 26th snow was great, I didn't get thundersnow and I lost power. So that ruined the event for me. The rest were just crappy nuisance events.

B+

ended up with 19 inches, which is 1/2 inch over seasonal avg. Plus it was cold(see heating bills). For a La Nina winter, and all the hideous outlooks for dry and warm, far exceeded my expectations. Without the persistent -NAO, this winter would have totally sucked for cold and snow in the MA. I tried to be objective and not compare it to last year, but snowfall wise, average is pretty lame after epic.

B- ... Richmond total so far is slightly less than normal. Which compared to areas just to our south and east.. (some places tippled their average down that way... :P) It's a bit of a let down. But compared to expectations going into this winter... far exceeded what I was expecting.

C-

Cold winter with little to show for it. Missed the big storm in December by about 50 to 75 miles to the east. Except for several nuisance snows of an inch or two only had 2 events worth mentioning with 6 inches and 8 inches and those were basically at night. I guess last winter plays into the grade as well because of being spoiled with all the snow we received.

I predict the first F when Ji sees this.

Nope, looks like that honor goes to me.

Big fat F on my scorecard. Less than 40% of climo snow, despite ample opportunities. Every single event underperformed (even Jan 26 we were forecasted 8 -12, and despite being a pretty decent 7" storm it still underpreformed) from the start (Dec 5) to the end (Feb 21). Historic winters north and south of us, misery on top of us. While we did have sustained cold, not bitter cold, that only added to the disappointment of so little snow, and the many bouts of dry winds only added to the misery. I can't see anyway to sugar coat this winter.

The good:

-I watched a dusting of snow fall on Christmas day. The only other times I've seen that happen here was in 1995 and 2002. Bonus points are awarded for Christmas snowfall (no matter how small).

-January was a good winter month. 1/26 was an awesome storm: about 8 inches of snow, high snowfall rates, the first time I've seen thundersnow and thundersleet, and the snowpack lasted forever.

The bad:

-12/26, the snowdome, etc. Watching basically everyone in the United States except DC/Balt have a historic winter.

-Below average snowfall at BWI (I live about 10 minutes from the airport so I refer to those totals as IMBY measurements)

Final grade: I'll give it a C+. Not great, but I've seen much crappier winters here.

I gave an A-. December made the season in my backyard. I had snow falling on almost everyday and had a rare White Christmas. That's what it is all about. January was okay, by February it was pretty much over, but that is okay. I'd rather get off to an early start, enjoy the snow and cold, and then move on to thoughts of Spring.

B- ... Richmond total so far is slightly less than normal. Which compared to areas just to our south and east.. (some places tippled their average down that way... :P) It's a bit of a let down. But compared to expectations going into this winter... far exceeded what I was expecting.

Agreed, I would give it an A if we hit our 13" average. Although the number was lower than I would've liked, the number of days with at least a trace of snow, particuarly in December and January, made it seem as if we were having a decent winter. We did have a lot of disappointing close calls. But, when you consider the persistent cold and the fact that we were near average, we can't complain too much.

It's all relative though when you're grading a winter.

Archived