SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Welcome to American Wx Forums!

ORH_wxman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I rarely posted on Eastern (mainly just obs during winter storms), I was a dedicated lurker and enjoyed reading the often informative (and never dull) back-and-forth. Glad that my weather fix can now be satisfied here! Just hope that the rest of the "family" got the news about Eastern's demise and will eventually find their way here!

I wish I could donate.. but no job, no debit card, and paying for prep school is hard enough as it is.. i feel guilty. Thanks to everyone that makes this possible.

Don't feel bad. Times are tough right now. Do what you can by posting and helping folks here.

What do people typically donate. I saw someone was going to put in $250.00, another $100.00... I can't swing that.

What is reasonable?

And sbos_wx, just pay it forward. You will have your chance when you are the starting DE for the Pats in 2016

Whatever you can afford. It's really tough for many now. Every little bit helps!

--Turtle ;)

Great job to you guys for getting this set up smile.gif.......easy to get up and running and everything looks the same as before.....

I don't post a whole lot - just 1000 in 5 years - but I lurk pretty much 24/7.....I love reading all the posts from the mets on here and I devour the analysis even though I can only really understand 10% of it.......I have learned so much and am happy to have a place to satiate my inner weenie......I would have really been bummed had I not logged in today from work (no no but hey I can't help it) in time to get the info to get up and running here......one minute Eastern was there and then the next it was just gone......let's hope all the weenies make it over and here's to heavy heavy winter for all......

I will definitely be donating.......keep up the good work....

What do people typically donate. I saw someone was going to put in $250.00, another $100.00... I can't swing that.

What is reasonable?

And sbos_wx, just pay it forward. You will have your chance when you are the starting DE for the Pats in 2016

People donate all kinds of amounts. Some people only donate a couple dollars. A few others obviously can afford more. Whatever people throw in, its all appreciated.

Interesting ... what exactly transpired? The description/explanation on the other interface sort of nebulously defines unscrupulous usage of the former Eastern site provisions; but in simpler terms it sounds like Eastern was at last simply over-run by doiche-bags and could no longer be controlled.

I must apologize to those that have sent emails asking for my continued contribution over recent months. I was not ignoring you. I made a conscious choice in the middle of the summer to abstain from posting informational and/or forecasting speculation content, which is all I ever really was involved for with the site to begin with. But, I began repeatedly being targeted by certain members and moderators, who clearly had ulterior motives that did not include scientific discussion and/or the sharing of knowledge in the field of Meteorology. The latter reason really was the last straw. I refuse to post again on a site that suspended me for defending my self against a small cadre of moderator-back a-holes (to remain nameless). The suspension was forced, those that contributed to a particular heated exchange were not evenly evaluated, and all of them were on one another's "friends" list. Hello

I must say, I feel pretty vindicated for having taken the measure of sharply discontinuing contribution; it perhaps shows that my observations and suspicions of the site users (all) was succinct.

The sad truth is that these internet forums in general allow anonymity, and that apparently is too tempting to those with chips on their shoulders - so to speak. Initially, J.Q. Public users are well behaved, but given time, said anonymity will attract those that will take advantage and willfully engage in adversarial intent for whatever reason motivating them (personal issues, or personality/character flaws). To mention, intellectual theft was also a big big problem for Eastern. I have seen elements of my own discourses show up abroad, taken almost verbatim, and pawned off as though it were the poster's original insight. And to make matters worse, there is no way given an "open public discussion forum" that can be proven - so now, one has to be double precognizant of what they revealing.

The bottom line, whether it is pointless bickering by those using the anonymity of the internet for their own poisonous amusement, or more organized methods of knowledge extraction without permission aside, there really does not seem to be any way to really truly protect a site from eventually being infiltrated by those with nefarious agenda. So going forward, for me anyway ... if I do contribute my post may come across more conclusive without a lot of leading reasons and methods.

Archived