• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 5-6 2010 - Snowmageddon

Ian

After the second storm on the 10th ended I took five measurements and had an average snowdepth of almost 55 inches. 

Come into Manchester kinda in the center of town having approached from the west. Road was decent, windy, I could stop a lot.  Few places the drifts on side of road were like sculptured.  First time I stopped I thought. Wait this isn't 3' of snow, I just left that and know what it looks like.   So I measured and was careful as I could be to not measure drifts and I got a couple of 61-62" stuff but mostly 50-55".

That's where I get a little jealous. At no point did my yard have over 30", let alone 4'+.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I had 28" in the first storm, and right about 10" in the second, so I'm sure I had over 30" in certain places, but the wind from the second storm really scoured out a lot of spots and ended up piling that snow in drifts and the like.

Got 52 for the two storms, and I had a peak depth of like 42. Interestingly, places like manchester had more because they had snow snow snow snow, same as here but jan 30 and feb 2-3 melted. The 12 days in all, 63"

It really was the second storm here that put us over the top. I recorded 32 inches, but with all the wind it was very difficult to get an accurate measurement, it could have easily been closer to 36 inches.

Come into Manchester kinda in the center of town having approached from the west. Road was decent, windy, I could stop a lot.  Few places the drifts on side of road were like sculptured.  First time I stopped I thought. Wait this isn't 3' of snow, I just left that and know what it looks like.   So I measured and was careful as I could be to not measure drifts and I got a couple of 61-62" stuff but mostly 50-55".

The snowcover lasted well into March here. By Feb 12th or so after some melting and compacting snow depth was closer to 40 inches. We kept a solid 18-24 inches until the enf of Feb. Picked up another 4-5 in the end of month storm that got NY real good. After that storm that was all she wrote.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I had 28" in the first storm, and right about 10" in the second, so I'm sure I had over 30" in certain places, but the wind from the second storm really scoured out a lot of spots and ended up piling that snow in drifts and the like.

I had 24.7" in the first and 9" in the second, but with compaction and drifting it never really seemed like there was more snow around on Feb 10 than there was on Feb 6.

The snowcover lasted well into March here. By Feb 12th or so after some melting and compacting snow depth was closer to 40 inches. We kept a solid 18-24 inches until the enf of Feb. Picked up another 4-5 in the end of month storm that got NY real good. After that storm that was all she wrote.

And then it finally all disappeared.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2010/05/unbelievable_still_snow_at_bwi.html

There was a massive pile of snow where 295 meets the Inner Loop as you come to the Wilson Bridge that was still there well into April, if I recall correctly.  It's one of the few spots in that section where they could pile the snow up without interfering with traffic.  And I remember all the dirt, grit, and grime that was left behind from that pile - it was pretty nasty and it took a long time for it to get washed away that summer.

There was a massive pile of snow where 295 meets the Inner Loop as you come to the Wilson Bridge that was still there well into April, if I recall correctly.  It's one of the few spots in that section where they could pile the snow up without interfering with traffic.  And I remember all the dirt, grit, and grime that was left behind from that pile - it was pretty nasty and it took a long time for it to get washed away that summer.

I remember parts of 295 (up near me) where merge lanes weren't plowed all the way. I went to work one day between the storms and got to the end of the in ramp and had to come to a screeching stop. I was either going to drive straight into a snow bank or onto 295 traffic. Was really bad and am lucky I didn't cause an accident because of it. I called SHA as soon as I got to work to complain. It was plowed that day.

I remember parts of 295 (up near me) where merge lanes weren't plowed all the way. I went to work one day between the storms and got to the end of the in ramp and had to come to a screeching stop. I was either going to drive straight into a snow bank or onto 295 traffic. Was really bad and am lucky I didn't cause an accident because of it. I called SHA as soon as I got to work to complain. It was plowed that day.

Working from home for a week FTW.

;)

Great memories looking through that thread, thanks Wes. What an incredible period...oh the excitement and obsession and sleeplessness. I got 28" from the first storm and about 17" from the second but measuring that was tough. 

There was a massive pile of snow where 295 meets the Inner Loop...

Bringing back memories of the "Mt. Chipotle" siliiness, ha.

• 11 months later...