Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Current Snow Depth

CT Rain

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3-4 feet in the woods up here. Andover and Pittston Farm in ME both sitting on 47"

That's probably more than in Aroostook, as the far north has missed out on some of the high water-content events.  Looks like about 6" on the lawns outside my AUG office, probably twice that up at the airport, just over 3 feet at home.  SWE sample 2 weeks back had 8.02". If I get to it tomorrow I'm expecting about 9.5, as we've had 1.89" this month and almost no melting.

I know folks like shade for snowpack retention, but parts of my yard are a canopy of 100ft+ spruces, so those sheltered areas where not as much snow fell to begin with are all bare. Open, undisturbed non-south-facing slopes and fields still have 6-7" though. Just took a core sample of a spot with 7" which yielded 2.4" liquid.

I've noticed the Charles River in Boston has been "icebroken" between Charles St and MOS. Must get the ducks in the water, already delayed for the first time since business opened. Inner River Basin is still 70% ice. WOW!

Yard at home is covered south facing still about 4" averaging 6-8" of glacier.

A very late leaf out, ice out is a safe bet.  

Just took a core sample of 5.8" of snow, which melted down to 3.1" liquid!  A 1.9:1 snow:liquid ratio.  Impressive.

That's some ripe snow!  Once it gets to 50% water, its pretty much ready to all melt at once.  I think the definition of a ripe snowpack in hydro terms is 40-50% water.

Last spring on the mountain, my hydro survey in April yielded 60" of snow depth and 26-27" of liquid (pretty much an entire winter's worth of precipitation).  That was right before the snow really started releasing.

That's some ripe snow!  Once it gets to 50% water, its pretty much ready to all melt at once.  I think the definition of a ripe snowpack in hydro terms is 40-50% water.

Last spring on the mountain, my hydro survey in April yielded 60" of snow depth and 26-27" of liquid (pretty much an entire winter's worth of precipitation).  That was right before the snow really started releasing.

How do you even take a core of 60" of snow lol

Archived