• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Current Snow Depth

CT Rain

That's some ripe snow!  Once it gets to 50% water, its pretty much ready to all melt at once.  I think the definition of a ripe snowpack in hydro terms is 40-50% water.

Last spring on the mountain, my hydro survey in April yielded 60" of snow depth and 26-27" of liquid (pretty much an entire winter's worth of precipitation).  That was right before the snow really started releasing.

Wow, I can't imagine 60" of such dense snow!  That's awesome lol

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you even take a core of 60" of snow lol

Haha, I did one today. It's the biweekly NWS snow survey I do on Mansfield.

The COOP stake is at 79" but it's up at 3,800ft, while my plot is down at 3,000ft where I had 62-66" depths.

I use the standard issue 60-inch Adirondack snow sampler tube.

I use my fist to pack the snow into the tube (which is why you don't see any in the tube, it's packed down out of view)....but the snow depth is now over the tube's height so it's a bit more tricky.

Then I weigh it to get the water weight...there's 17" of liquid in the pack up there, which sounds right at about 25-30% water.

Lots of snow up here.

The bottom couple feet are like solid ice from the January rains.

Walking around is sketchy, as I was up to my stomach in snow but every once in a while you'd punch down and feel nothing under you.

Down at 1,500ft we have 34-36" on the level, with 9.5" of liquid...again in that 25-30% range.

We'll see if we can build any more pack prior to April.

when you are up here take the Barker Mt road and take the village road. Probably between 40-50 OTG

Yeah, not surprised...thats awesome. There should be more when I get there too...I think you are good for at least 4-6 tomorrow night...perhaps a slight chance at 7-8"...then some more on Saturday.

This seems less accurate.

What's bunk about that is places like the Staffordville coop not only not reporting measurable snow but not even reporting a trace of snow.  I know that there's snow around his station but it's probably not in his yard so he reports it as zero even though he can see snow.  I can tell you that on the ground there are a lot of open areas now but it's anywhere from bare muddy ground to 6-8" of snow depending on how much sun it gets.

For the record, I recorded an inch on the ground as of this morning with about 55% of my open yard covered in snow.  The part with snow has as much as 4-6".  Once it's below 50%, it will turn into a trace.

Well I think today I'm going to have to concede on solid pack. The sun has gotten so high now that my front yard gets a fair amount in the afternoon as it faces west. Even some holes in the backyard too.. Though still pretty solid to as much 4-5 inches in places. North side of the street still has 100% snow. So we went from Feb 3- Morch 19th. That's impressive considering there was little to no snow fall other than powder inch or 2. So much ice was in the pack that it is/was tenacious. Maxed out at 26-27 inches on Feb 17. All good things must come to an end

Well I think today I'm going to have to concede on solid pack. The sun has gotten so high now that my front yard gets a fair amount in the afternoon as it faces west. Even some holes in the backyard too.. Though still pretty solid to as much 4-5 inches in places. North side of the street still has 100% snow. So we went from Feb 3- Morch 19th. That's impressive considering there was little to no snow fall other than powder inch or 2. So much ice was in the pack that it is/was tenacious. Maxed out at 26-27 inches on Feb 17. All good things must come to an end

Are you sure about that orientation?  Wouldn't it be the opposite and the north side of the road would have less snow than the south side?  I drive down many east-west roads and on all of them the yards on the north side have less snow than the south side.  Rte 190 across northern CT is a good example and the woods on the south side have more snow than the north side, but that's my observation.  Perhaps your neighborhood is oriented differently?

About half my yard is covered with snow and the other half is bare.  The woods have about 80% coverage around here.

Congrats to the folks up north!

Are you sure about that orientation?  Wouldn't it be the opposite and the north side of the road would have less snow than the south side?  I drive down many east-west roads and on all of them the yards on the north side have less snow than the south side.  Rte 190 across northern CT is a good example and the woods on the south side have more snow than the north side, but that's my observation.  Perhaps your neighborhood is oriented differently?

About half my yard is covered with snow and the other half is bare.  The woods have about 80% coverage around here.

Congrats to the folks up north!

Well I meant the north/northeast facing side of the road. It gets very little sunlight and some of those yards still have 4-6 of total snowcover..while the ones that face south and sw have plenty of grass showing

wish I had 2 yardsticks now, have to see what Andover reports but yikes over 50?

46" at my place this morning, thanks to 13" overnight. Some IP this morning and the forecast upper 30s in the afternoon should settle it 3" or so by evening. Another such surprise and I could challenge my top snowpack since moveing here, 49" after the huge dump of Feb. 22-23, 2009.

Archived