joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring Thread

Allenson

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

33.4F and the precip is about done. Just some light SN/PL/RA spitting from time to time. It's impressive to get a late April event like this during the day where it stays mostly snow.

Here are some crappy pics from about 30-45mins ago when it was a little over 1". I had all of my snow stuff put away for the season (so the grass would green) so a tape measure on the roof of my car is what you get. :lol:

post-3-0-94991300-1303578156.jpg

post-3-0-77791600-1303578158.jpg

post-3-0-65399800-1303578160.jpg

post-3-0-00529800-1303578155.jpg

Measured 0.5" here with snow still falling (I, too, had to resort to measuring on a car top). Snapped a pic when it was falling pretty good.

I had 0.5" or so as measured on my deck railing.

Might have gotten a tenth or 2 more, but the 0.5" is what I will record. All washed away now. This was at 7:00 or so this morning... bye bye winter (again)

I had 0.5" or so as measured on my deck railing.

Might have gotten a tenth or 2 more, but the 0.5" is what I will record. All washed away now. This was at 7:00 or so this morning... bye bye winter (again)

I wish mine had fallen overnight -- about three hours of precip fell as rain and I've been over freezing during the entire event. Cannot complain, though. I was expecting flakes at the most.

I wish mine had fallen overnight -- about three hours of precip fell as rain and I've been over freezing during the entire event. Cannot complain, though. I was expecting flakes at the most.

Snow was still falling off and on here until 10 or 10:30, we also had sleet and mixed junk.

Lovely April day in New England

Ended up with just over an inch here at Topnotch on the Mountain Road. The last few bursts of precipitation were sleet... before ending as drizzle and mist. Classic SWFE.

The scene here looks almost exactly like Dendrite's pics... nice to have one last snowfall here as I can't really see it snowing again below 2,000ft at least.

I drove up to the mountain around 9am, and the Mountain Road became snow covered around 1,200ft... by 1,400ft there was 2" of cement on the road (they could've plowed but the state plow was no where to be seen) and it was greasy-slick. At 1,500ft at the base of the ski resort looked like mid-winter with snow plastered sideways on every tree, twig, and sign... I'd say there was around 2-2.5" at 1,500ft and the car thermometer had dropped to 31F.

I thought we had a chance for an inch or so the last couple of days. You're right though...this would've been great if it came in around 3-6z. I've had 0.30" liquid through the tipper so I probably could've doubled my 1.2" of snow.

35.2F and -RA now. It should push 65F tomorrow. Then bring on the Wed/Thu toasties.

We got a couple of inches here. It even ended up sticking to the roads for a brief period around 10:30 when the intensity was quite good. What made this particularly odd was how strong the south wind was during this all snow, late April event.

post-1533-0-94781200-1303583911.jpg

post-1533-0-54428400-1303583931.jpg

Was a bit surprised to see slushy flakes in PWM this late morn. (I'd had spinal fusion surgery yesterday at Maine Med, came home today. Herniated disc pressing on spinal cord had taken about 2/3 of leg strength and balance, and most of the feeling from my fingers - made buttoning an adventure. Some improvement already, but may be 6 months before I know how much strength/feeling returns.) Nearly all (non-accum) snow in Topsham, but much lighter precip AUG north. It was all snow but very light in New Sharon, nowhere near intense enough for daytime accum in late April.

Was a bit surprised to see slushy flakes in PWM this late morn. (I'd had spinal fusion surgery yesterday at Maine Med, came home today. Herniated disc pressing on spinal cord had taken about 2/3 of leg strength and balance, and most of the feeling from my fingers - made buttoning an adventure. Some improvement already, but may be 6 months before I know how much strength/feeling returns.) Nearly all (non-accum) snow in Topsham, but much lighter precip AUG north. It was all snow but very light in New Sharon, nowhere near intense enough for daytime accum in late April.

Good luck on your recovery. :)

Snow is slowly melting away. I'm eagerly awaiting the warm temps this week.

It continued to snow/rain this morning without accumulating, and then at some point in the mid morning sleet started to mix in, and it was getting that sleet in there that seemed to make the frozen precipitation substantial enough to actually accumulate down at this elevation. We picked up a couple tenths of an inch of snow/sleet accumulation, and with the sleet starting to mix in, I decided it was time to pop up to the mountain for a run in case the snow conditions were going to deteriorate. At the base of the Bolton Valley access road (340’) accumulations were similar to what we’d picked up here, with patchy areas of white, and as expected, the accumulations increased with elevation. Up in the village (~2,100’) the accumulations were 1-2 inches, and the precipitation was snow with sleet mixing in. On my ascent I found the following for depths of new snow:

2,100’: 1-2”

2,700’: ~2.5”

3,100’: ~3”

The snow was fairly dense with the sleet mixed in, so even though this wasn’t a major dump, turns were actually pretty sweet, and mostly bottomless on low and medium angle slopes. The intensity of the precipitation gradually tapered off while I was on the mountain, and it trended toward mostly sleet, but seemed to come back to some small flakes eventually.

Back down at the house around midday there was still a white coating on parts of the lawn, and even now a bit of that is hanging around. I’ll put together a few pictures when I get the chance.

Ended up with 2.4" of new snow here today. Not too bad given the date

Here's to a speedy recovery, man. Good luck & heal up!

I headed over to Woodsville today and the ride over Orange Heights through Groton was interesting to say the least. It looked like there was around 3" in the higher spots. It stuck to the roads as well. Just tire tracks with several inches of slush in between. It was pretty hairy in spots, glad I have procrastinated and not taken the snow tires off yet. Around my house we probably had an inch or so, mostly gone by the time I got back home at 3:30. Tis' truly a winter that doesn't want to give up.

Hoping for a quick recovery for Tamarack too.

Nice snow roller, Dendrite.

I headed over to Woodsville today and the ride over Orange Heights through Groton was interesting to say the least. It looked like there was around 3" in the higher spots. It stuck to the roads as well. Just tire tracks with several inches of slush in between. It was pretty hairy in spots, glad I have procrastinated and not taken the snow tires off yet. Around my house we probably had an inch or so, mostly gone by the time I got back home at 3:30. Tis' truly a winter that doesn't want to give up.

When we went into Bradford yesterday, the roads out here were snow-covered until we dropped below 1000' or so...which from here isn't very far, just a couple miles or so. By the time we got back though, just wet. But yeah, that slushy stuff can be pretty slick.

Still have snow on the ground this morning but the temps are already on the way up and the fog is thick....

Foggy as hell here this morning. It starts to burn off here and there but then just comes right back. Started the day at 33, up to 39 now but it feels cool, damp and clammy out there. Ready for the fog to burn/lift and let the sunshine work.

We were just about done with the mud but yesterday's snow set us back a little bit. One of these days, we'll turn the corner for good. Skis are put away and I'm itching to ride....not to mention get 50+ mpg instead of 20....:scooter:

Went up to the Sunrise Service at the top of the Mansfield Gondola this morning... I actually hadn't been up on the mountain outside of the base area in a week, and I'm still blown away by the amount of snow up there. It is absolutely ridiculous for April 24th and I now think we are about a month later than where we were last year at this time. Stuff was already greening up and leafing out up to almost 2,000ft at this time last year.

This year, not even close. You can still ski in the woods from top-to-bottom. There's still 18" of solid pack on RT 108 at the winter-time closure (1.5-1.6K feet) and at the top of the Notch on 108 at 2,200ft there's over 2 feet on the roadway. Last year at this time the road had been opened for two weeks. We haven't lost any snow at 1,500ft in the past 7 days, and have gained snowpack at the higher elevations. I can't believe its still holding steady or rising.

I'll try to share some pictures in a little bit... but there is a lot of snowpack left to melt up there.

Here's one view... not a bare spot to be found.

Went up to the Sunrise Service at the top of the Mansfield Gondola this morning... I actually hadn't been up on the mountain outside of the base area in a week, and I'm still blown away by the amount of snow up there. It is absolutely ridiculous for April 24th and I now think we are about a month later than where we were last year at this time. Stuff was already greening up and leafing out up to almost 2,000ft at this time last year.

Last year's early leaf-out really screwed the Green Mountain forests; 850s dropped to -7C during the 4/27 snowstorm, ruining many of the new buds and leaves. It took quite a few months for the Green Mountains to recover their eponymous color. It's better that things wait until the danger of a serious freeze/snowfall is past.

6am Easter morning at the Church of Mansfield where Ullr is God... Ullr is believed to live in a cave under Mansfield's Kitchen Wall where the deepest snow on the mountain falls. I wandered out there to pay homage, amid coyote and some sort of cat (bigger than a bobcat) tracks; I love how eerie it can be as the fog and mist dance with the mountain and dawn's first light.

Snowpack remains at 7-8 feet in here.

Some more pics from after the sun had fully come up...

This is around 3,000ft on the High Road. My ski poles are around 4 feet tall, so I tied them together with the straps, and lowered them into a tree well. First pole disappeared and the second one went about a third to half of the way down before it hit something... so snowpack at 3,000ft is still a solid 5-6 feet (down from 8 feet at 3,700ft).

I was able to ski a favorite gully all the way to the bottom where I stopped to eat breakfast near a stream at 1,700 (within shouting distance of the Midway base lodge) where there's still a solid 1-2 feet on the ground. I can't believe there's still this much snow cover well below 2,000ft.

Lets see how much of this we can carry into May. This is the winter that doesn't want to go quickly or quietly.

Yikes, Hope it all works out for you, I am holding out as long as possible on surgery, Sounds like yours had to be done, I have not got to that point yet, Just dealing with leg numbness, But my doctor wants to do a 2 level fusion (4 Vertabrae) on mine........ :(

Archived