Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Feb 24-25 Secondary Cyclogenesis and Upslope Obs

dendrite

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of days downhill with the kids and a couple of days I went out solo x-c. I posted a trip report on views.

Hot off of the presses:

post-290-0-98637600-1330145782.jpg

post-290-0-91821300-1330145785.jpg

Nice pics. Trees look heavy. Where did you go downhill. Attitash/Wildcat/Blac/Cranmore? Looks like your XC trip took you up to the Great Glen Trails.

http://www.vftt.org/...ch%29-2-21-2012

Nice pics. Trees look heavy. Where did you go downhill. Attitash/Wildcat/Blac/Cranmore? Looks like your XC trip took you up to the Great Glen Trails.

http://www.vftt.org/...ch%29-2-21-2012

I skied Cranmore with the kids Wednesday afternoon and all day yesterday. I love Wildcat, but the economics justified Cranmore. Nice spring conditions actually...not mashed potatoes, but easy for the kids to turn in. It was very enjoyable; I've skied in much worse. The snow cover in the woods on the other hand has been rock hard cement. The current storm was needed.

I only skied down about a mile and a half of the auto road from roughly 2.3 miles down to a little below the 1 mile marker (the bottom 4 miles are groomed by Great Glen trails), Everything else was on USFS land. We are allowed on that segment of the auto road without purchasing a trail pass. If I had skied down to the base (or started there) I would have had to purchase a trail pass from Great Glen. But I started and ended at PNVC.

The day before I bought a pass from the Jackson foundation and skied a few miles up along the Ellis River and back. That was an easier day, but with some nice downhill sections to tune up on. I'd love to be able to break out the skis at home before spring. I got spoiled last winter with snowcover from 12/26 - 3/1.

A pretty wicked looking cyclone on WV/IR. Classic look to a deepening northeast bomb where mass ascent is being forced almost solely along the upper jet/low level front circulations with a very tight vertical coupling between the two features...very weak static stability helps. I could be wrong...but this has to be one of the deepest cyclones across the northeast all winter.

post-999-0-88254200-1330149408.jpg

post-999-0-27921100-1330149455.jpg

A pretty wicked looking cyclone on WV/IR. Classic look to a deepening northeast bomb where mass ascent is being forced almost solely along the upper jet/low level front circulations with a very tight vertical coupling between the two features...very weak static stability helps. I could be wrong...but this has to be one of the deepest cyclones across the northeast all winter.

Not saying much....you're probably right. lol

987.8mb and falling

I think I saw a 991 imby this winter, tonights 976 is the lowest now, but wasn't really sure how accurate my $100 station is. Hard to dish out a grand or more for a davis, someday.

I am down to 973mb now, Secondary is just to my south, Still pretty impressive with the dynamics that went on with this storm

And here we go... the upslope portion of the event has begun. It is ripping right now.

Here's the composite... but strong winds or something is causing this snow to drift quite a bit down wind. Heaviest is right on the Spine in the Mansfield/Smugglers Notch area, but its snowing pretty hard in town right now, too.

Here's a lower scan of that same radar... you can see on composite the heavier echos are west of where they are at the lower elevation scan. Mansfield is the radar black-hole on the county line.

Euro keeps it around all day today too...should be good up there.

Nice.... it is just nuking outside right now. Just about to leave for work at the mountain. Going to be incredible up there several miles west and directly under the beast.

This radar isn't doing it justice in town... these heavier echos must be drifting down wind on the strong westerly flow because it is like someone just tore a pillow open outside my window.

8" on the ground here.

Nice! You are up decently high in elevation, so that matches my 8.5" at 1,500ft I just cleared off the snow board since 4pm.

I had 7.0" at my house at 800ft this morning... 7" of 32F snow bomb. Snow plastered to everything including telephone poles and wires, all trees are just caked... looks like those photos from Virginia the other day.

And I cannot believe how hard it is snowing outside... 2-3"/hr no problem here at the Spine. That was the worst drive of the season up here... full whiteout the whole way and these flakes are about 1" in diameter.

My buddy, grooming supervisor, is at the top and measured around 12" best he could.

Snow fog outside... just ripping 30-35dbz dendrites.

I posted my morning report in the NNE thread as well, but added it here since it contains some observations/totals:

Event totals: 4.7” Snow/0.68” L.E.

We got a decent shot of liquid down here at over two thirds of an inch, but with temperatures hovering a bit above freezing it has been fairly dense; snow density values were coming in around 15% H2O until this morning’s analysis, where it has dropped to 6% H2O. This event has now pushed snowfall at this location past 80 inches, although it still remains the least snowy through this point in the season out of the last six. The resorts from Stowe northward look to have done well with overnight snow, and it looks like the blitz is continuing north of I-89 based on the radar.

25FEB12A.gif

There’s some wind even reaching down to our location, so we’ll have to see what it does to the new snow and lift operations. The north to south list of 24-hour Vermont ski areas accumulations is listed below for those locations that have updated this morning:

Jay Peak: 15”

Burke: 10”

Smuggler’s Notch: 10”

Stowe: 12”

Bolton Valley: 6”

Mad River Glen: 5”

Sugarbush: 8”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Bromley: 4”

Stratton: 5”

Mount Snow: 2”

Some details from the 12:00 A.M. and 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

12:00 A.M.

New Snow: 2.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.39 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.2

Snow Density: 16.3% H2O

Temperature: 33.3 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 - 3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 8.5 inches

6:00 A.M.

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.7

Snow Density: 6.0% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (2 -10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

How localized this is is ridiculous. I can't even see across the parking lot right now. This is the heaviest sustained snow all winter by far.

Still ripping 1-3 inches per hour. The summit has to have so much snow.

BTV cam looking at Mansfield shows the wall of white...

Even the western slope of Nashville isn't seeing anything... wall of white towards Mansfield.

Here in Stowe... just a freakin' whiteout.

Archived