• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Feb 24-25 Secondary Cyclogenesis and Upslope Obs

dendrite

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM SUNDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 609 PM EST SATURDAY...HEAVY UPSLOPE SNOW CONTINUES TO

PERSIST ALONG THE SPINE OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS. WITH WEST TO

NORTHWEST WINDS CONTINUING AND LOW LEVEL MOISTURE STILL

PREVALENT...EXPECT THE SNOW TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL

HOURS. THUS HAVE EXTENDED THE WARNING THROUGH 11 PM FOR THE

NORTHERN GREEN MOUNTAINS. AFTERWARD...SHOULD SEE THE SNOW TAPER

OFF TO SNOW SHOWERS AS DRIER AIR WORKS INTO THE REGION. WILL

LIKELY SEE AN ADDITIONAL 2-4 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.

THIS WILL PUT FINAL TOTALS IN THE HARDEST HIT AREAS OF EASTERN

CHITTENDEN...EASTERN FRANKLIN...WESTERN ORLEANS...AND WESTERN

LAMOILLE COUNTIES IN THE 1 TO 2 FOOT RANGE WITH A FEW 30 INCH REPORTS

POSSIBLE. OUTSIDE OF THE WARNED AREA...NOT EXPECTING MUCH MORE

THAN A FEW SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS WITH ANY ADDITIONAL

ACCUMULATIONS LESS THAN ONE INCH.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the upslope region... snowy New England.

Some more photos from town.

It just picked up again in town... ripping cotton candy. This is certainly one of the most memorable upslope snow events I've seen here. Note to self: Bombing low pressure systems in northern ME or the Maritimes with deep closed upper level lows providing synoptic cyclonic moisture feed... look out.

This has to be one if the best posts ever. Upslope ftw.

awesome storm.

you can drive all the way to coventry in on/off flurries with the moon poking out, 2 miles N on rt 5 and full on windswept blizzard.

got home to 8" new from when I left at , over 20" now on the ground, wind is roaring, and its still hammerin snow, 1/4 mile vis (although wind ripped too)

no doubt J is getting peppered

powder pigout in full effect

Down to 20f. Snowing hard. I would guess we picked up 6-8" on the mtn by the time i left at 3. Another 4-5" since 4. Might have to go out for a walk. Skiing was great today and tomorrow will be off the charts. All is well in the universe.

Epic would also work as a way to describe tomorrow. A buddy up at the mountain said since 4pm when he cleaned his car off, there's an additional 5" as of 7:30pm. So 5"/3hrs up there jives with my 1"/hr average down here in town further from the mountain.

Still showing no signs of quitting. Glad to see the Greens south of I-89 have been getting lit up now, too. It seemed a bit slow to start down there this morning.

18" now storm total at 800ft... 1" last hour again.

Wind increasing.

PF, that last round photos of people skiing today was too much. I'm headed up to Stowe tomorrow and staying over Sunday night to ski again on Monday. It's going to be an early morning, but this can't be passed up. You should get a commission on tickets sold through your posts here.

Bringing my 98mm rockered skis. It's the widest I have.

Any recommendations on a inexpensive but serviceable place to stay for three guys?

PF, that last round photos of people skiing today was too much. I'm headed up to Stowe tomorrow and staying over Sunday night to ski again on Monday. It's going to be an early morning, but this can't be passed up. You should get a commission on tickets sold through your posts here.

Any recommendations on a inexpensive but serviceable place to stay for three guys?

I'm heading up from NYC late tonight for the same reason....I hope my drool won't leave permanent flood damage to my apartment!!!

I know right, TB and I were discussing options as I read this. Showed him the pics and radar, oh my.

yes PF keep us posted tonite w/ your obs.

looks like sugar bush...mrg...are all gettin hammered this eve.

nice snows even on the e. slope now

not sure if killington got major league screwage this pm...echos are tailing off toward rutland and west on radar instead of the spine of the kilington higher peaks

Lol...I'm making one of the longest skiing day trips ever!!! (Brooklyn NY to Stowe)

That's hardcore. Much respect. I've made the trip from Queens, but never for just a day.

Looks like the heavy upslope snow has gotten as far south as Killington again.The K1 Lodge cam shows heavy snow in the lights.

Anybody have recommendations for Stowe glades? I haven't been there in about 8 years, before I got into tree skiing.

Freak fill us in, cheapest decent place for overnight, price?

Sleep in the truck. I do it all the time.

yes PF keep us posted tonite w/ your obs.

looks like sugar bush...mrg...are all gettin hammered this eve.

nice snows even on the e. slope now

Wife says a few inches fell today and it's snowing at a good clip now. Ullr rewards the pious.

That's hardcore. Much respect.

Looks like the heavy upslope snow has gotten as far south as Killington again.The K1 Lodge cam shows heavy snow in the lights.

Anybody have recommendations for Stowe glades? I haven't been there in about 8 years, before I got into tree skiing.

You should hook up with Powder Freak, my glade days are over. Gonna need some speed for 3 feet, sweeeeeet.

Event totals: 11.8” Snow/0.95” L.E.

We got the word that Bolton’s lifts were on wind hold this morning, but we decided to grab the skins and head up anyway, figuring we’d earn turns as needed, and catch the lifts if they opened. In terms of snow, there wasn’t much going on at the house, and there were just a couple of additional tenths of an inch beyond the overnight accumulation, putting the storm total around 5 inches. While it wasn’t snowing much at the house, the mountain was getting blitzed. Snow was coming down in the 1-3 inch/hr range in the higher elevations, so the plows couldn’t quite keep up with the access road. Getting up the switchbacks below Timberline was a bit tricky with all the snow, but we made it to the Village and could see that there was indeed a good bit of wind. We had just prepped the gear for skinning when we found out that they had just opened the Mid Mountain Lift, so we did some lift-served laps:

25FEB12B.jpg

Snowfall was extremely impressive, sideways at times, but it was lots of fun to be out there. The snow was definitely coming down hard because our car was notably covered after just the three to four hours or so that we were on the mountain:

25FEB12C.jpg

After skiing, Mom and the boys went swimming in the sports center, so I had time to tour the Village and grab some pictures of the snow:

25FEB12D.jpg

We had no idea if anything had been going on down in the valley, but we pulled into the driveway and there was a foot of snow down – I checked the snowboard and found that 7.1 inches had fallen while we were at the mountain:

25FEB12E.jpg

The snow had also dropped down in density to 3.8% H2O, definitely into that Champlain Powder™ territory. That afternoon accumulation elevated this storm as the largest of the season, just passing the 11.7-inch storm from mid January by a tenth of an inch. Not only was that snow down on the board though, it was still dumping at 1-2 inches/hr. I checked the radar and those 30-35 db returns were just stacked up against the spine:

25FEB12B.gif

The snowfall numbers below are certainly going to continue to rise the way it’s snowing, but I’ve tabulated the snow totals that I’ve seen reported by the Vermont ski areas for this wintry stretch of the past few days. The list is north to south as usual, and the sweet spot around Stowe and Smuggler’s Notch is very evident.

Jay Peak: 26”

Burke: 13”

Smuggler’s Notch: 34”

Stowe: 34”

Bolton Valley: 17”

Mad River Glen: 16”

Sugarbush: 16”

Pico: 12”

Killington: 12”

Okemo: 7”

Bromley: 6”

Magic Mountain: 8”

Stratton: 6”

Mount Snow: 4”

Based on the radar and what’s going on down here in the valley, totals are going to cruise right past three feet. This is a great event though, because we haven’t had any of these multi-foot cycles yet this season, and this will pump a good shot of liquid into the snowpack in a soft way.

This third storm alone looks like it could go past the 18-inch range even down here in the valley, because there’s already another half foot down on the snowboard as of ~8:30 P.M. and the moisture just continues to be pumped up against the spine on the radar:

25FEB12C.gif

Some details from the 4:30 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 7.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.27 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 26.3

Snow Density: 3.8% H2O

Temperature: 26.1 F

Sky: Snow (2 - 20 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

I’m planning to do the next snow analysis at 10:30 P.M., so we’ll see where the storm total is at that point.

Archived