Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Feb 24-25 Secondary Cyclogenesis and Upslope Obs

dendrite

My video of the upslope at Bolton Valley Best watched in 1080p:

Thanks for the video eyewall, I watched it in

and you can get a really nice sense of the flakes. We made our own trek up and down the road today – up was tough in the morning, but down around 4:00 P.M. or so wasn’t bad since it had been recently plowed. The plow(s) must have had to tend to the access road all day long with those snowfall rates. We joked that the plow driver was just doing laps to keep pace with the snow, although they probably didn’t quite have to go that far. Glad you had a chance to get out and see the upslope!

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just drove back from BTV on 89, absolutely pounding through JSpin's neck of the woods. 35 mph for a good stretch of the way, not much passing going on. Back in Barre, maybe an inch new.

For those of you making the trip north, the Watebury Best Western may be full but there is a Comfort Inn right off Exit 7 in Berlin that may have rooms. Not as close but only another 10-15 minutes or so down 89.

Thanks for the eyewall, I watched it in

and you can get a really nice sense of the flakes. We made our own trek up and down the road today – up was tough in the morning, but down around 4:00 P.M. or so wasn’t bad since it had been recently plowed. The plow(s) must have had to tend to the access road all day long with those snowfall rates. We joked that the plow driver was just doing laps to keep pace with the snow, although they probably didn’t quite have to go that far. Glad you had a chance to get out and see the upslope!

Thank you and I loved it! I got to ski there Wed. Hoping to get some runs in tomorrow to enjoy the benefits of this event. Definitely it ranks some of the heavier snows I have witnessed rate wise!

It was dumping on the mtn yesterday when it was not dumping in town. That plus the fact that I seem to be in a spot in Stowe that doesnt always get the best totals, and I already have 15 inches tells me that 34 is certainly possible on the mountain. I think his 4pm ob in the notch is 18 and if you ask me it picked up after that in town snowing at an inch per hour. At his higher el spot 34 is not unlikely, but it makes me wonder where that number came from.

It was dumping on the mtn yesterday when it was not dumping in town. That plus the fact that I seem to be in a spot in Stowe that doesnt always get the best totals, and I already have 15 inches tells me that 34 is certainly possible on the mountain. I think his 4pm ob in the notch is 18 and if you ask me it picked up after that in town snowing at an inch per hour. At his higher el spot 34 is not unlikely, but it makes me wonder where that number came from.

There was a massive difference top to bottom even at Bretton Woods today. We hung around the top of the mountain where it was heavy snow. Powder on the top of 2 mile on the way down was easily 10" deep on the side of the trails. By the bottom when you start tying into other trails, 6-8", by the lodge maybe 6/7", parking lot my car had maybe 2-3" new all day.

Back closer to the max totals could easily see 20-30" falling. I don't think I've ever in my life seen perfect snowflakes like today. Was fun with the kids to see them on our sleeves on the way up, some of them looked like they were right out of the Bass frosty special.

There was a massive difference top to bottom even at Bretton Woods today. We hung around the top of the mountain where it was heavy snow. Powder on the top of 2 mile on the way down was easily 10" deep on the side of the trails. By the bottom when you start tying into other trails, 6-8", by the lodge maybe 6/7", parking lot my car had maybe 2-3" new all day.

Back closer to the max totals could easily see 20-30" falling. I don't think I've ever in my life seen perfect snowflakes like today. Was fun with the kids to see them on our sleeves on the way up, some of them looked like they were right out of the Bass frosty special.

Glad you are enjoying the trip.

Why not do BW again? Or are you heading to VT?

In any case, glad the resorts made out.

Wachusett might make snow...whoopee...

Also it's still dumping in my less than favorable location. This is the upslope storm that wont quit. Actually when the mtn gets upslope it never makes it the 8 miles to my house, so there is more to this, must be the upper low.

Glad you are enjoying the trip.

Why not do BW again? Or are you heading to VT?

In any case, glad the resorts made out.

Wachusett might make snow...whoopee...

Burke's where both myself and my oldest learned to ski...kind of where it all started 5 or so years ago. Plus they have the new high speed lift and 10-15" of powder. It's a lot closer than Stowe and I have a bad feeling Stowe may be slammed with people Sunday. Bretton Woods we really liked. I'm just thinking that Burke probably is no more than 25-30 minutes further away. It's 30 miles.

The little kids program was so strong today at Bretton I have a hard time passing that up. As you guys know if the youngest loses the show the whole day is shot, she loved the little camp there today and we had a blast watching her ski. Burke's programs are awesome...some of the best...but it may be too much for a 3 year old who wants to go down the hill a few times, eat some goldfish and play with the other kids.

Smugglers was reporting 24 as of about 530pm tonight. That's 10" of snow in 5 hours...wow.

People at the mountain are saying it is crazy. Jay, Some simple arithmetic before bedtime: What's 15+20? 35?? Well, you're right, and it's also the total amount of snow this storm has dumped on us since the first flakes started falling Friday night; 15" at 7:00am this morning, 20" since then. And it's still coming down. So run along now...time to go to bed...because tomorrow's going to be phenomenal.

Event totals: 20.2” Snow/1.13” L.E.

During the six hour period from 4:30 P.M. to 10:30 P.M., 8.4 inches of snow accumulated on the snowboard here at the house, so the snowfall rate has averaged just a bit shy of 1.5 inch/hr. In the 4:30 P.M. analysis, the snow density came in at 3.8% (26.3 to 1 ratio), and because there was a bit of denser snow at the bottom of the stack, I figured this round of accumulation might come in even drier. Well it did. The 8.4 inches that I sampled at 10:30 P.M. contained just 0.18 inches of liquid, indicating that the snow is at 2.1% H2O (46.7 to 1 ratio). I don’t believe I have ever had a stack that tall come in at such a high snow to water ratio, in fact, I was surprised enough that I went out and ran an entire independent analysis from a different location. That second analysis came in at 2.3% H2O (44.4 to 1 ratio), which I’m sure is within the error of this analysis, so I’m very confident in the numbers. Anyway, Mother Nature is producing some extremely stackable dendrites out there, and there are probably going to be a lot of Vermont skiers in the white room tomorrow.

I did notice that the BTV NWS had extended the Winter Storm Warning in the upslope zone tonight:

25FEB12F.jpg

…although it looks like they have dropped it now as the precipitation begins to wind down. It’s been a classic upslope event though, which has surpassed 20 inches of snowfall down here in the valley, and I have no idea what the numbers are going to be up in the mountains, but it should be pretty impressive tomorrow. This event has also vaulted the 2011-2012 season snowfall past 2006-2007 for this date, which is an impressive piece of catching up, but perhaps this is this season’s version of the Valentine’s Day Storm to make up for the dearth of snowfall. There’s another 1.5 inches out there on the snowboard already as of 11:30 P.M., so this event is very close to bringing the season snowfall here to the century mark.

Some details from the 10:30 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 8.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.18 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 46.7

Snow Density: 2.1% H2O

Temperature: 20.7 F

Sky: Snow/Heavy Snow (2 - 12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.0 inches

Jspin, nice pics

Thanks Ginx, glad to pass along the updates and images from the area. It’s also great to see the folks getting inspired to come up and ski thanks to Powderfreak’s reporting; the slopes should be great tomorrow and it’s certainly snow worth traveling for.

Thanks Ginx, glad to pass along the updates and images from the area. It’s also great to see the folks getting inspired to come up and ski thanks to Powderfreak’s reporting; the slopes should be great tomorrow and it’s certainly snow worth traveling for.

Your reporting too bro, just stellar. Love the WE stuff. Even with trace snow on the ground here it is exciting and certainly sounds and feels like winter tonight. Can you do me a favor? Drift pics please!

Wound up with around 3" here. Hard to measure due to blowing and drifting. I had to drive up to S NH for a family birthday party and it was brown the whole way once I got out of the Berks. However, I was chasing a squall on the Mass Pike from east of Springfield to just south of Worcester on the way there, but it didn't amount to much more than a dusting that was melting in the sun. It made the roads wet and brought out the salt trucks. The car was transformed from black to white...LOL. It doesn't look like there was much additional accumulation after I left here around 2 PM. Oddly, although I have about 3" here on the north side of Lenox, there is only a dusting in Lee. Very localized banding occurred in those streamers earlier.

Archived