12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January General Banter Thread III

Isopycnic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think people are being a little silly all the way around. He doesn't know Robert, and Robert's post was at best passive aggressive. He's right in a lot of ways - if you're trying to figure out "what it would take" to get snow in the SE, it isn't happening.

I think mets should be allowed to say whatever they please without challenge from anyone, but that also requires they themselves can handle the pre-moderation chatter. I think if the first dumbass 2 post poster hadn't come in and set the new guy off, none of this would have happened. We should be in storm mode right now in all likelihood and that would have prevented this ugliness.

I think storm mode contributes to the problems but that is just me.

I agree 100%. That creates even more edginess.

Not really. You guys don't realize how much crap is filtered out when we are in it because you don't see how much is deleted or how many people are taken care of. If we didn't have it, it would be a total clusterf***.

That said, no need for storm mode right now.

Not really. You guys don't realize how much crap is filtered out when we are in it because you don't see how much is deleted or how many people are taken care of. If we didn't have it, it would be a total clusterf***.

Nothing to prevent you from deleting storm mode or not. One thing I see happening in storm mode that makes it ineffective is there is a whole group of posters who see themselves as mini mods. They come out when the storm flag is raised. Someone make an IMBY post. Instead of just letting the mods do as they see fit we get several posts from the mini mod crowd chewing the perp out. Sometimes the IMBY poster posts again to apologize. More rarely they post to defend themselves from what they see as an attack. This is usually followed by a post or two saying, "Mods please delete this". By the time it all plays out that one little IMBY post has turned into ten or more off topic posts. Of course by then someone else has posted another IMBY post and it all starts again.

Seriously, after the Carolina crusher of 2000, no one can say they really know what is going to happen with winter weather here, no matter what the models say. I think we were just supposed to get a lot of rain with that one, too. Not saying this is the same thing, but there is a lot of moisture coming, so who knows.

No, RDU was supposed to get flurries from that one. The storm was forecasted to go out to sea and miss, but instead it came much closer to the coast and nailed places as far inland as GSO.

No, RDU was supposed to get flurries from that one. The storm was forecasted to go out to sea and miss, but instead it came much closer to the coast and nailed places as far inland as GSO.

I was in Raleigh during that time, and distinctly remember that the night before the storm, WCNC predicted 2 to 4 inches. There was still some snow in patches because of a series of snow events that winter.

You guys do a good job. I agree with jburns' previous comments to what I'm typing. You don't need storm mode to moderate effectively, as demonstrated by the current system. If there are issues with particular posters, as in you delete their posts and warn them and they still keep commandeering the thread with imby or off topic stuff, ban them for a time or whatever. I don't see any value in storm mode other than it gives you the right to do what you are already capable of doing.

From my perspective, it creates more tension and like jburns said, you get a lot of people calling other people out. Just more posts to delete.

That said, you guys do a good job, like I stated before.

I also remember some oddball temp swings that winter (January 2000 specifically). In early January I napped in a patio chair on my back deck after doing some yard work. Mid 60s maybe? It's couldn't have been too cold, granted I was in the sunshine. Still, all those weather events that were to happen about a week or two later made that an unusual winter.

Archived