joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January General Banter Thread III

Isopycnic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: If Raleigh squeaks out a couple inches of snow given that most of the posters feel 99% certain they will get nothing but rain, will they still complain, whine, gnash their teeth if say GSO and points west clean-up with 6" in GSO, 8"+ in CLT, and more than a foot in in the foothills and mtns? Just curious, because then you will kinda know what it felt like during the 2000 storm for us folks west of 77. Not trying to pick a fight, I just want to know the mindset that will happen ahead of time so I don't get snippy with people.

Question: If Raleigh squeaks out a couple inches of snow given that most of the posters feel 99% certain they will get nothing but rain, will they still complain, whine, gnash their teeth if say GSO and points west clean-up with 6" in GSO, 8"+ in CLT, and more than a foot in in the foothills and mtns? Just curious, because then you will kinda know what it felt like during the 2000 storm for us folks west of 77. Not trying to pick a fight, I just want to know the mindset that will happen ahead of time so I don't get snippy with people.

It's 5 inches or bust for me. So in other words, bust. But I will clap and cheer for you guys if it goes well down in Charlotte and that area. I'm still waiting on this dream surprise scenario like Jan 2000 that's gonna give me a foot by Wednesday. Don't even respond with facts, just let me waffle around in my own little world of hopes and unrealistic dreams.

yep. Like #1 in your sig - no high pressure, no snow.

As Allan said, we need a 2000 miracle to get good snow in that situation, and I'm not going to put all my chips in on that.

I agree. I'm not going to argue with Allen cause he's awesome. But it was darn cold the day of that storm, and dry too. It didn't take long for the atmosphere to cool and cool appreciably. This storm won't be that cold, so if we're going to get any snow of substance here in Raleigh, we are going to need either A) The current modeling to be wrong about no CAA (i.e. it's going to have to show up...and it better do that quickly as we're running out of time), or B) The storm will need to be farther East and bomb out earlier than currently being shown so that dynamic cooling will have more of an impact here. I think that's also unlikely since we have no blocking and our wedging will be breaking down. I see no reason why the track of this storm won't end up over the Piedmont somewhere, or maybe even west of that. We'll see......

Yes. We will always complain about not being in the bullseye. But that doesn't mean we would wish that you DIDN'T get a foot of snow. See, it's possible to be happy for you and sad for me.

Haha, hey, if Mother Nature wants it to happen, it will happen! Honestly, everyone in NC could be looking at rain if this thing doesn't bomb out as modeled to bring down the cooler air. Obviously those of us in the western half of the state stand a better chance, but models have been wrong before and will be wrong again. Climo-wise we are in a better position than if this was late Feb, early March, so we stand the best chance of seeing winter precip fly from a huge low just on that alone.

I seem to recall Charlotte getting 9" of snow in the Jnauary 2000 storm that day (Tuesday). Raleigh had cold rain. It wasn't until the bomb out on Tuesday evening that we cashed in with 20". This was not progged and predicted as we do with these other storms now days online.

I will be very happy for the people west of here because I have spent the past 7 winters w/ a lot of them and you want them to do well. But that doesn't mean I'll be happy w/ my 2 inches of slop. I fall under the category of extreme weather watcher. I really like the 10" or more snowstorms, the severe weather outbreaks, and the tracking of hurricanes. I do like the 3" snows but it doesn't really get me going like the higher amounts.

Yes. We will always complain about not being in the bullseye. But that doesn't mean we would wish that you DIDN'T get a foot of snow. See, it's possible to be happy for you and sad for me.

I know, it just seems to be more devilish right now with some posters (note, SOME) be very snide in their comments. A few have just rubbed us guys the wrong way. Plus I am more of a climo-guy that grew up in Hickory, which always stands a better chance based on its climate alone than other places outside of the mtns. I guess that's why I roll my eyes when I see cliff diving for people down east where I am like, "You live where historically it does not snow/ice that often, get a grip on reality!'. But I am not going to broadcast those thoughts out like alot of the NE and MA folks. I went to school in Raleigh, believe me, I know the despair that is winter there. Plus it's been a decade now, so a 2000 storm can happen again for all I care. Means I can just refer to that whenever Brick wants to complain about something trivial.

I won't, but I also won't say anything. The "Charlotte mafia" won't have it :devilsmiley:

I seem to recall Charlotte getting 9" of snow in the Jnauary 2000 storm that day (Tuesday). Raleigh had cold rain. It wasn't until the bomb out on Tuesday evening that we cashed in with 20". This was not progged and predicted as we do with these other storms now days online.

Yea, I wasn't in CLT then. I got to watch nothing fall from the sky back home in HKY. Anyway, like I said, I wasn't trying to pick a fight, I was just curious. I know here that if it says rain and then we get a surprise snow I am ecstatic. I will take any snow I can get, I don't just have to have foot-plus storms all the time.

I know, it just seems to be more devilish right now with some posters (note, SOME) be very snide in their comments. A few have just rubbed us guys the wrong way. Plus I am more of a climo-guy that grew up in Hickory, which always stands a better chance based on its climate alone than other places outside of the mtns. I guess that's why I roll my eyes when I see cliff diving for people down east where I am like, "You live where historically it does not snow/ice that often, get a grip on reality!'. But I am not going to broadcast those thoughts out like alot of the NE and MA folks. I went to school in Raleigh, believe me, I know the despair that is winter there. Plus it's been a decade now, so a 2000 storm can happen again for all I care. Means I can just refer to that whenever Brick wants to complain about something trivial.

The RDU area gets teased. That's the problem. It's not like were in Florida and griping because its not snowing. Were ALWAYS seemingly on the rain/snow line. Then some model runs get us excited only to be let down. I could see your "get a grip on reality" point if we were 300 miles south of you complaining.

I have no beef with anyone cliff diving or celebrating. Am I rooting for the snow to be greater in your area? Absolutely not, just like you aren't rooting for RDU to get hit harder than your back yard. Sometimes people do go a bit overboard an don't even give the storm a chance to develop before they turn COMPLETELY negative. As far as the snide comments go, well, we will just have to live with that in the banter threads.

I won't, but I also won't say anything. The "Charlotte mafia" won't have it :devilsmiley:

Haha, the big bad CLT mafia. Just FYI, I am not a part of that mafia as there a few from my region that make me roll my eyes the same way. I've dealt with Raleigh winters before, I feel every single one of y'alls pain. I'm just a big climo guy and it's tough when you love snow and are stuck in a place that is geographically a bad spot for it. I've been to places where it is 8 feet deep and dreaded leaving it. But in the end, we will never be able to change the weather. I'm done now, hopefully I didn't make all of you want to kill me, especially since I bet 75% of you guys are my fellow Wolfpackers!

Archived