Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January General Banter Thread III

Isopycnic

Hi, neophyte here -

Crystal ball projection, rain for the next two mid-weeks then something frozen around feb 12. We are looking at a +NAO now right? No consistent blocking Greenland highs on the models that I see. Brace for some temps around 60 F for my region at least. Early grass sowing season?

Just had to post sumpthin'.

I appreciate the education I'm getting reading all this.

:popcorn:

Welcome!!!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was heading to a gymnastics event in Florida for his daughter.

His entire family are atheletes!

:weight_lift:

:ski:

(also secret meeting with CLT Clients) :whistle:

I must say...back in the day, when he used to give daily updates for free, before he started the pay service, he ALWAYS returned emails. You could ask him anything. Then I found WWBB and of course...forgot about the one sided upper Mid ATL/NE lover. :gun_bandana:

I do practice green techniques, such as composting, companion planting, and re-introducing natives, rather than invasive species in regards to trees and flowers. However, for the amount of things I grow and how much I have vested in, I pull the trigger with some pesticides for targeted issues and as a preventative measure depending (such as tomato horn worm pre-treatment in May, and then again in June). For example, late last Spring I had strawberry clipper beetles nipping the flowers on the blackberries, just below the base so the flower dropped. It took me about a week to figure out not only there was a problem, but what was causing it. So just after dark, once the pollinators were gone for the day, I doused those suckers with Carbyl (light weight stuff), and had the sprinkler on them around daybreak the next morning to wash it off, as I don't like to hurt the bees. I had to do this 3 times over the course of a week to eradicate the beetle, and just from that infestation which I caught early it reduced my blackberry yield by about a third, although I still ended up with 30 pounds of berries. Case in point, we have a ton of bugs and fungus issues here in ENC, this is just one example of the myriad I come across every year, and to take the time to find an organic approach to each one is not always possible. I follow the best practice guidelines from our local extension office, which is through NC State and there website is a great resource I use frequently. Gardenweb is also another invaluable tool, and if I am stumped on something, that is the place I go to ask. I am going to start a Southeast Lawn and Garden Thread here in a couple weeks, counting to the growing season, as horticulture is very much dependent on the weather.

this is a good place to start: http://www.ces.ncsu..../hil/ag-06.html :)

and some more: http://www.ces.ncsu....l/wx-index.html

http://www.ces.ncsu....depts/hort/hil/

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/

Bugs: http://www.ces.ncsu....epts/ent/notes/

I grow it for several purposes, and yes one is to replenish nitrogen. I seed a couple of my larger beds over as a cover crop to keep out weeds, and replenish nitrogen in September. In the spring, before they flower I turn it over, and plant within a week or two. It adds green manure, which is really good for the soil. Clover is a legume, and therefore performs a process called nitrogen fixation where nitrogen is taken from the air in the form of N2 and converted into the soil as NH3. They are however, heavy phosphorus feeders so you should get your soil tested to make sure it has a adequate level before hand, if not you will have to do a dressing based on your soil test results. you may also need to inoculate them with the bacteria if you are growing in an area where clover has not been grown, but only for the first year as after that the nitrogen fixing bacteria will be in the soil. I also grow it as a food plot for wildlife, namely deer and rabbits, which actually brings a bunch of other creators in as lots of things like to each fat rabbits! I have several food plots that are planted in late summer, running a 2:1:1 ratio of crimson clover, rye grass, and 7-top turnip. I have only used crimson red clover btw, love it!

Thanks very much for the info. I'll make sure we visit those websites. Sounds like you're quite the gardener. We had the same problems with horn worms on the tomato plants this year (I believe that's what was getting them). We sprinkled corn starch on them and had no further issues. But it's nice to have a resource for things like this so you know what to do. So thanks for providing it! Not sure what we'll put in this year, but we're looking forward to it. :)

I do practice green techniques, such as composting, companion planting, and re-introducing natives, rather than invasive species in regards to trees and flowers. However, for the amount of things I grow and how much I have vested in, I pull the trigger with some pesticides for targeted issues and as a preventative measure depending (such as tomato horn worm pre-treatment in May, and then again in June). For example, late last Spring I had strawberry clipper beetles nipping the flowers on the blackberries, just below the base so the flower dropped. It took me about a week to figure out not only there was a problem, but what was causing it. So just after dark, once the pollinators were gone for the day, I doused those suckers with Carbyl (light weight stuff), and had the sprinkler on them around daybreak the next morning to wash it off, as I don't like to hurt the bees. I had to do this 3 times over the course of a week to eradicate the beetle, and just from that infestation which I caught early it reduced my blackberry yield by about a third, although I still ended up with 30 pounds of berries. Case in point, we have a ton of bugs and fungus issues here in ENC, this is just one example of the myriad I come across every year, and to take the time to find an organic approach to each one is not always possible. I follow the best practice guidelines from our local extension office, which is through NC State and there website is a great resource I use frequently. Gardenweb is also another invaluable tool, and if I am stumped on something, that is the place I go to ask. I am going to start a Southeast Lawn and Garden Thread here in a couple weeks, counting to the growing season, as horticulture is very much dependent on the weather.

this is a good place to start: http://www.ces.ncsu..../hil/ag-06.html :)

and some more: http://www.ces.ncsu....l/wx-index.html

http://www.ces.ncsu....depts/hort/hil/

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/

Bugs: http://www.ces.ncsu....epts/ent/notes/

I grow it for several purposes, and yes one is to replenish nitrogen. I seed a couple of my larger beds over as a cover crop to keep out weeds, and replenish nitrogen in September. In the spring, before they flower I turn it over, and plant within a week or two. It adds green manure, which is really good for the soil. Clover is a legume, and therefore performs a process called nitrogen fixation where nitrogen is taken from the air in the form of N2 and converted into the soil as NH3. They are however, heavy phosphorus feeders so you should get your soil tested to make sure it has a adequate level before hand, if not you will have to do a dressing based on your soil test results. you may also need to inoculate them with the bacteria if you are growing in an area where clover has not been grown, but only for the first year as after that the nitrogen fixing bacteria will be in the soil. I also grow it as a food plot for wildlife, namely deer and rabbits, which actually brings a bunch of other creators in as lots of things like to each fat rabbits! I have several food plots that are planted in late summer, running a 2:1:1 ratio of crimson clover, rye grass, and 7-top turnip. I have only used crimson red clover btw, love it!

Thanks for all of the good info. I mostly grow tomatoes so I am very familiar with hornworms. Words cannot describe my hatred for them. I think I will give the clover a try next fall.

Thanks very much for the info. I'll make sure we visit those websites. Sounds like you're quite the gardener. We had the same problems with horn worms on the tomato plants this year (I believe that's what was getting them). We sprinkled corn starch on them and had no further issues. But it's nice to have a resource for things like this so you know what to do. So thanks for providing it! Not sure what we'll put in this year, but we're looking forward to it. :)

Last summer, for the first time, I didn't have problems with the worms after planting Marigolds around and amongst the tomato plants. This year I'll try corn starch too for double protection!

Of course, this year I expect snow at Easter, so I'll hold off on my early plantings :) T

Last summer, for the first time, I didn't have problems with the worms after planting Marigolds around and amongst the tomato plants. This year I'll try corn starch too for double protection!

Of course, this year I expect snow at Easter, so I'll hold off on my early plantings :) T

I've heard about Marigolds but never tried them. I might do them and cornstarch so I can avoid Sevin altogether. There is nothing worse than seeing a defoliated tomato in just one night.

Canton, trees are one problem I dont have. My garden takes sun all day long to the point where I could use some shade in the afternoon. The only redeeming thing is a small mountain to my west that blocks the sun a little bit close to evening.

I am thinking I really need to move back to the north. I miss the possibility of 20" snow events and thundersnow. Obviously they have had a lot of that this year so of course if I did next year will not pan out like this one. I know it is too much to ask to see thundersnow in Southern Pines without question.

lol..you better not, we need you.

I've experienced thundersnow about 3 times I think. It was awesome to say the least and it would be nice to experience something like that again. I really thought that band with the last snow could have produced it, it changed the dominate winds just like a line of storms moving through and it had 2 to 3 inch per hour rates. Unfortunately I never heard/saw any lighting.

NC can have some huge storms but they have just been in somewhat of a drought lately with it. It will change. But i figured you would be happy so far with this winter? It sure as hell beats most of them of late.

I want to know what screw-up at accuweather put this map together? I mean really......................can you not put the chances for harsh winter weather on the correct side of where the low runs? What a terrible graphic.

LOL. It's accuweather, if they had it right, then I would be surprised. Joe Bastardi said, " Major disruptive winter storm much of nation next week. Arguably it will be the worst week of winter for nation as whole" on twitter last night.

Gonna be a nasty winter storm for us in the south....you know, with all of that rain and possible thunderstorms. ;)

Accuweather is a joke.

Man, it's been like forever since I've seen fair weather cumulus clouds, or whatever type of clouds we've had floating in and out this afternoon. Sure beats those low, leaden, heavy overcast skies that portend of rain or snow, but just hang there in suspension.

For what it's worth, Accuweather is already hyping the upcoming storm as the Great Groundhog's Day Storm, with ice in North Carolina and southern Virginia, major snow in DC-Baltimore.

http://www.accuweath...-may-affect.asp

400x266_01281541_ghogstorm.jpg

FWIW? Not a hill of beans. Remember the map that said all of north GA would get ice and no snow with the early January snow storm? Not-So-Accu WX is a joke most of the time.

This map made me lol. Now i remember why i never trust the DGEX model.

eta.totsnow192.gif

Of course the DGEX sux- it is the NAM extended out, and we all now how bad the NAM is after 36 hours, much less 192 hours. The NOGAPS is stellar compared to this joke of a model- it is a waste of super computer resources.

lol..you better not, we need you.

I've experienced thundersnow about 3 times I think. It was awesome to say the least and it would be nice to experience something like that again. I really thought that band with the last snow could have produced it, it changed the dominate winds just like a line of storms moving through and it had 2 to 3 inch per hour rates. Unfortunately I never heard/saw any lighting.

NC can have some huge storms but they have just been in somewhat of a drought lately with it. It will change. But i figured you would be happy so far with this winter? It sure as hell beats most of them of late.

Oh I am very happy with this winter so far! I just long for the real big ones sometimes that is all. As for the context of where I am this has been a great winter. Obviously January 2000 was a once in a lifetime event which I am thankful I witnessed.

I was checking those photos out yesterday, some areas are close to 3' in NJ and CT, and that is with compaction. :guitar: Should be a sloppy mess once all that melts. :)

Yeah flooding might be an issue there ;). Especially if a sudden warm up occurs soon.

You guys should see the incredible snow depths in New England!

http://www.americanw...depth-pictures/

That's pretty crazy, about as deep in some of those places as the snow was at my friends' house in Evergreen CO last Feb (they're at ~8k feet). Very cool, I lived up in Andover (north of Boston) for a couple years and never saw snow that deep.

After another pretty historic winter I'm not green with envy. I plan on enjoying the 60+ degree temps this weekend. Some of my peeps in the north ATL metro may be familiar with the Greenway system here in Fulton Co (basically an extensive paved trail system through my area). I'm dragging the girl out to ride bikes and enjoy the warmth while we have it, because it certainly look like the cold will return with a vengeance before spring arrives.

You guys should see the incredible snow depths in New England!

http://www.americanw...depth-pictures/

Impressive but I bet they don't have wind like this.

Friday: A chance of sprinkles between 10am and 4pm. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 53. Breezy, with a calm wind becoming west between 17 and 20 mph.

Archived