• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January General Banter Thread III

Isopycnic

I think there's enough going on to keep a lot of folks happy. Nothing really "failed" in the last system...we saw a northwest trend emerging and adjusted the forecast accordingly. For fans of year round weather, like me , and many others there will be plenty to talk about. Even during hard core droughts with less than .50" per month, you'll hear me complaining.:lol:

I guess my term for fail should really be defined as fail for MBY! :lol: I enjoy all the discussion no matter the outcome, and yes, the last storm definitely trended north, and we adjusted, so its not like we were calling for a foot of snow day before or anything. I just live in a really bad part of nation to be such a snow lover, I need to figure out how to convince the wife to move somewhere else. Unfortunately she is from NY, so she is in no hurry to have those winters again.:axe:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, you picked the Panthers. Yeah, they were awful this year. They were almost unwatchable. They need a good QB, but that's stating the obvious. Maybe they can pick up Favre? :lmao:

Yea like we signed Testaverde!!! They have been hurting for a good QB for sometime, and some good wide receivers at that. We could probably talk for days on all the problems they had this year. Ugh. On to hoping and dreaming for next season!

Lets make a prediction on number of possibilties for the remainder of winter, including next week since it is still a possibility. I will go with three more chances. Two in February, next week, and another a couple weeks later and one more possibly big one in March.

I'll say four: 2 in Feb. (including next week) and one toward the end of the month. I think blocking returns near the end of the month and into March. With that in place, I think we get 2 threats in March, and possibly a big one. :)

Yea like we signed Testaverde!!! They have been hurting for a good QB for sometime, and some good wide receivers at that. We could probably talk for days on all the problems they had this year. Ugh. On to hoping and dreaming for next season!

Yeah, I hear you. If there's one good thing at least, they don't have an owner like Jerry Jones. :headscratch:

So how is everybody doing with life after the fail?

We're still here, picking up the pieces of what could have been, looking down the road at next Wednesday, and preparing to get screwed again... In all seriousness, I am ready for a warm-up Jeremy! We made it up to 50 here today, I wore a t-shirt all day and if it were not for the little bit of wind, I would have busted the shorts out. Starting to look forward to the start of Spring in about 50 days, everything being dead gets old after Jan, especially since it is hardly ever SN covered. Hope to start the garden blueprints this weekend and get the seed orders in, maybe even do some yard work which I have not done for awhile, except for tending to the clover. ;)

Well facebook is really challenging google. Facebook now has more traffic than google daily...big swing of power. That is why google is paying 6 billion dollars for groupon.

That I did not know. Speaking of groupon, I got a groupon coupon the other day and there were strings attached when I tried to used it. Shady. :thumbsdown:

We're still here, picking up the pieces of what could have been, looking down the road at next Wednesday, and preparing to get screwed again... In all seriousness, I am ready for a warm-up Jeremy! We made it up to 50 here today, I wore a t-shirt all day and if it were not for the little bit of wind, I would have busted the shorts out. Starting to look forward to the start of Spring in about 50 days, everything being dead gets old after Jan, especially since it is hardly ever SN covered. Hope to start the garden blueprints this weekend and get the seed orders in, maybe even do some yard work which I have not done for awhile, except for tending to the clover. ;)

Do you garden organically or do you use pesticides to keep insects off of your plants? My wife put in a small garden this past year and we had issues with worms and insects eating some of the plants. She wants to do it organically, which is probably the best thing. But we're kinda new at it. Is there a good website or resource that you can recommend?

Yea google has been buying a lot of social networking companies and other ones to help them control the internet basically. Those crappy little flash videos and games for lowermybills and mortgages etc...there is a co in charlotte that makes those and they r on goggles top list of companies they want to buy.

0Z Nam looks great at 36. Southern S/W stronger. Strong S/W over the Lakes. General NW -- > SE flow. Looks like it's setting up for something good!

Ok, I'm bored tonight. It's getting time for bed.

We could do impersonations:

Who am I: "Cold without snow sucks. We're not going to get any snow in February. Februarys just aren't good around here anymore."

Or: "I got three inches when everyone else in the county got six. Screwed again."

Just kidding fellas. :D

I am thinking I really need to move back to the north. I miss the possibility of 20" snow events and thundersnow. Obviously they have had a lot of that this year so of course if I did next year will not pan out like this one. I know it is too much to ask to see thundersnow in Southern Pines without question.

Does anyone else think that "Finally Fast .com" commercial sucks? It's funny because it's so silly. You're supposed to pay money for some kind of registry clean-up or something. I don't know what really happens, but it seems kind of like a scam. But it must be worth it because all the people are so excited about it.

Yeah, I hear you. If there's one good thing at least, they don't have an owner like Jerry Jones. :headscratch:

Maybe now that the coaching regime has changed, things will improve. I think Steve Smith is past his prime - at his size you lose half a step and you are done (especially when there are no other alternatives to throw to, so you are constantly double and triple teamed). At least the offensive should be more progressive since the coach who thought 3rd and 6 was a running down is now gone.

Hi, neophyte here -

Crystal ball projection, rain for the next two mid-weeks then something frozen around feb 12. We are looking at a +NAO now right? No consistent blocking Greenland highs on the models that I see. Brace for some temps around 60 F for my region at least. Early grass sowing season?

Just had to post sumpthin'.

I appreciate the education I'm getting reading all this.

:popcorn:

I am thinking I really need to move back to the north. I miss the possibility of 20" snow events and thundersnow. Obviously they have had a lot of that this year so of course if I did next year will not pan out like this one. I know it is too much to ask to see thundersnow in Southern Pines without question.

I'd rather see 1" in Savannah or 3" in Atlanta than 19" in NYC because, honestly, that would be much more exciting/interesting to me. Yes, 19'' (even 10-12") is simply an incredible event just about anywhere. I'm not trying to downplay something like that. However, super heavy snow in an area that routinely averages over 2 feet a year just doesn't have the novelty appeal that southern snow has for me. I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy it if I happened to be there when it occurred or that I wouldn't hope to see some, but I could never see myself either traveling up there to be in the midst of it or else moving up there. It just isn't going to happen, even if I have the means to do it.

Do you garden organically or do you use pesticides to keep insects off of your plants? My wife put in a small garden this past year and we had issues with worms and insects eating some of the plants. She wants to do it organically, which is probably the best thing. But we're kinda new at it. Is there a good website or resource that you can recommend?

I do practice green techniques, such as composting, companion planting, and re-introducing natives, rather than invasive species in regards to trees and flowers. However, for the amount of things I grow and how much I have vested in, I pull the trigger with some pesticides for targeted issues and as a preventative measure depending (such as tomato horn worm pre-treatment in May, and then again in June). For example, late last Spring I had strawberry clipper beetles nipping the flowers on the blackberries, just below the base so the flower dropped. It took me about a week to figure out not only there was a problem, but what was causing it. So just after dark, once the pollinators were gone for the day, I doused those suckers with Carbyl (light weight stuff), and had the sprinkler on them around daybreak the next morning to wash it off, as I don't like to hurt the bees. I had to do this 3 times over the course of a week to eradicate the beetle, and just from that infestation which I caught early it reduced my blackberry yield by about a third, although I still ended up with 30 pounds of berries. Case in point, we have a ton of bugs and fungus issues here in ENC, this is just one example of the myriad I come across every year, and to take the time to find an organic approach to each one is not always possible. I follow the best practice guidelines from our local extension office, which is through NC State and there website is a great resource I use frequently. Gardenweb is also another invaluable tool, and if I am stumped on something, that is the place I go to ask. I am going to start a Southeast Lawn and Garden Thread here in a couple weeks, counting to the growing season, as horticulture is very much dependent on the weather.

this is a good place to start: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/'>http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag-06.html'>http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/'>http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag-06.html :)

and some more: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/'>http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/wx-index.html'>http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/'>http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/wx-index.html

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/'>http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/

Bugs: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/

WeatherNC, do you grow your clover to replenish the soil? I read recently that sowing crimson clover was good to bring depleted soil back.

I grow it for several purposes, and yes one is to replenish nitrogen. I seed a couple of my larger beds over as a cover crop to keep out weeds, and replenish nitrogen in September. In the spring, before they flower I turn it over, and plant within a week or two. It adds green manure, which is really good for the soil. Clover is a legume, and therefore performs a process called nitrogen fixation where nitrogen is taken from the air in the form of N2 and converted into the soil as NH3. They are however, heavy phosphorus feeders so you should get your soil tested to make sure it has a adequate level before hand, if not you will have to do a dressing based on your soil test results. you may also need to inoculate them with the bacteria if you are growing in an area where clover has not been grown, but only for the first year as after that the nitrogen fixing bacteria will be in the soil. I also grow it as a food plot for wildlife, namely deer and rabbits, which actually brings a bunch of other creators in as lots of things like to each fat rabbits! I have several food plots that are planted in late summer, running a 2:1:1 ratio of crimson clover, rye grass, and 7-top turnip. I have only used crimson red clover btw, love it!

Archived