Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January General Banter Thread III

Isopycnic

rduwx

Cycling is my business...I have a Training Center in Charlotte that caters to cyclists and multisport athletes. I am getting cabin fever major. My clients are. Staff are. Give us some 65 degree and then flip to CAD and southern runners. Today was awesome. Wind in the face, cool but tolerable. Give us 3 more days of it to get us out of the funk...then #SNOmg

quote name='rduwx' timestamp='1296262430' post='388001']

That's awesome CLT!!!! I've been going a little crazy myself. I was planning on doing the Assault on Mount Mitchell in May but I don't know if I'm going to be ready. The cold has really hit me hard this year. I try to ride the trainer as much as possible but I hate the trainer.

Anyway I don't think we're done w/ our snow chances. I'm really curious to see what's happens in the upcoming weeks. That southwest upper low thats showing on the models is looking interesting and I really like that some of the mets and lookout are starting to talk about it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well on a totally different note. I traded an old 67 Mustang that was torn down to the ground for this Buggy. Weighs about 500 pounds, has a little over 50hp, and gets over 30mpg. The weight to HP ratio is pretty close to what a new mustang GT would be, and better than the previous versions. :bike:

If you average ours, we'd get 18MPG. :thumbsup:

163100_1611856175068_1196175171_31369003_4284588_n.jpg

Last summer, for the first time, I didn't have problems with the worms after planting Marigolds around and amongst the tomato plants. This year I'll try corn starch too for double protection!

Of course, this year I expect snow at Easter, so I'll hold off on my early plantings :) T

I totally forgot about marigolds! We planted those when we had a garden when I was growing up and if memory serves, they worked like a charm. I'll remember to add those to the repertoire this year. Good call! :thumbsup:

I want to know what screw-up at accuweather put this map together? I mean really......................can you not put the chances for harsh winter weather on the correct side of where the low runs? What a terrible graphic.

That is laughably absurdly stupid. According to their graphic, the Florida panhandle is in for a major ice storm.

I want to know what screw-up at accuweather put this map together? I mean really......................can you not put the chances for harsh winter weather on the correct side of where the low runs? What a terrible graphic.

Looks like Accuweather screwed up their atmosphere knowledge. It is quite true that it is warmer at the poles than at the equator at some points in the atmosphere, but that's at 100 mb or so, not at the surface! arrowheadsmiley.png

By the way, if any of you are going to be in Raleigh tomorrow, there is a lot of stuff going on downtown in celebration of the NHL All Star game being in town. WRAL's chief meteorologist, Greg Fishel, will be onsite all day. I work in the BB&T building which is right on Fayetteville St., where they've got everything set up. A lot of the news people, including Greg, were down there this afternoon. I stopped by and talked with him for about 10 minutes about ensemble forecasting, implications of the solar cycle on North American winters, extreme high latitude blocking, and general Winter forecasting. I think he left the conversation very enlightened. :) Haha! In all seriousness, though, he's as nice a guy as you'll meet, and he'll gladly take time to talk with you.

By the way, if any of you are going to be in Raleigh tomorrow, there is a lot of stuff going on downtown in celebration of the NHL All Star game being in town. WRAL's chief meteorologist, Greg Fishel, will be onsite all day. I work in the BB&T building which is right on Fayetteville St., where they've got everything set up. A lot of the news people, including Greg, were down there this afternoon. I stopped by and talked with him for about 10 minutes about ensemble forecasting, implications of the solar cycle on North American winters, extreme high latitude blocking, and general Winter forecasting. I think he left the conversation very enlightened. :) Haha! In all seriousness, though, he's as nice a guy as you'll meet, and he'll gladly take time to talk with you.

I only call Greg when I feel the need to, which is infrequently, and when I mention one of our Chief's here in the east, it is either him or Skip as I have an open line to both. What many fail to realize is that most if not all of the on air wx forecasting is governed by what the producers say can be divulged before hand, in order to keep verification stats up compared to neighboring stations and within the region. I do not support this and have expressed the opinion to all the on air mets I have talked to, however, they are powerless when it comes to corporate, and that is understandable. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes we do not see, even though we see the same models hone in on a solution, many times the ramifications of going too bullish based on a general consensus is against those from higher above, and on air they have to scale back accordingly based on what will verify in terms of stats and pleasing the hierarchy.

I only call Greg when I feel the need to, which is infrequently, and when I mention one of our Chief's here in the east, it is either him or Skip as I have an open line to both. What many fail realize is that most if not all of the on air wx forecasting is governed by what the producers say can be divulged before hand, in order to keep verification stats up compared to neighboring stations and within the region. I do not support this and have expressed the opinion to all the on air mets I have talked to, however, they are powerless when it come to corporate, and that is understandable. There is a lot that goes on behinds the scenes we do not see, even though we see the same models hone in on a solution, many times the ramifications of going too bullish based on a general consensus is against those from higher above, and on air they have to scale back accordingly based on what will verify in terms of stats and pleasing the hierarchy.

I don't know Skip. He local to your area? I interned with Greg when I was going through the met program at State in the early/mid-90s. He and I eat lunch together occasionally, but it's been a while since we've done that. He's a really good guy. And I hear you with respect to the producers running the show, so to speak. I've gotten some perspective on that before, and like you, I don't support that. It's unfortunate that it works that way. But anything to get an edge on the competition, I guess.

Hmmm Raleigh...all that brick is just.....uummm so appealing to the eyes haha. Would be cool to be there. Had quite a few friends go to state so I have spent many weekends up there. I always liled how raleigh is a pretty big city, but it has never felt that way to me. Hopefully you enjoy it...and le car was a good addition to the thread!

Banter:

If it can happen way down here at all :snowman: , it's usually February (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/List_of_snow_events_in_Florida)

- won't happen this year I'm fairly sure (+AO, +NAO, declining PNA), but nothing is out of the realm, historically, so don't despair north of here. Maybe for you all a bit up my I-75 driving sights, the cold and some snow will yet come back your way before St. Patty's Day. Hoping so anyway ...

So - let's keep up hope (and maybe I get 1 more snow chase to Union County this winter!!!!! :thumbsup:; or maybe not :(:raining::underthewx:)

I don't know Skip. He local to your area? I interned with Greg when I was going through the met program at State in the early/mid-90s. He and I eat lunch together occasionally, but it's been a while since we've done that. He's a really good guy. And I hear you with respect to the producers running the show, so to speak. I've gotten some perspective on that before, and like you, I don't support that. It's unfortunate that it works that way. But anything to get an edge on the competition, I guess.

Skip is in New Bern, the closest competent Met we have here in E NC, with Greg being a close second given the proximity to PGV. Greg and I got into a online disco a couple winters ago about the QPF axis shifting south with a weak 850, can't remember the date but laid down 3-4" in Fountain . Since then, we have established the phone line, and in terms of sig impacts on sensible wx that is sig, as he has a great understanding of wx in the Carolinas. The last time I talked to him was just before the Christmas storm, making sure, which he was, that the parcels were going to phase as the solutions came into agreement with high res models about 24 hrs out.

Your a smart guy Itunis. Good to see you priorities are in order. When I first started dating my wife I told her that when fall comes around dont plan on me doing anything on Saturdays. If you want to watch football with me thats fine but I will be watching football. Here it is six years later and she turns to me last season and made some comment about GT's kicker and knew his name. I was amazed. The same thing has carried over to weather. She knows about phasing and thicknesses. So hang in there.

Well on a totally different note. I traded an old 67 Mustang that was torn down to the ground for this Buggy. Weighs about 500 pounds, has a little over 50hp, and gets over 30mpg. The weight to HP ratio is pretty close to what a new mustang GT would be, and better than the previous versions. :bike:

Well guess I'll know who you are if I see this driving around town guitar.gif

BTW here is the truck I'm looking at buying:

epDtq.jpg

T0Ejg.jpg

I really want something for the summer to take to the beach and for the winter to chase some snow.

Why is it the models can get lake cutters right a week out without wavering but if they show a winter storm we have to watch every trend a pray for mercy?:gun_bandana:

Haha I was just thinking that, when it's not snow or ice the models converge a week out and nail it....but it just shows how fragile the atmosphere has to be for us to get something in the south east.

Hmmm Raleigh...all that brick is just.....uummm so appealing to the eyes haha. Would be cool to be there. Had quite a few friends go to state so I have spent many weekends up there. I always liled how raleigh is a pretty big city, but it has never felt that way to me. Hopefully you enjoy it...and le car was a good addition to the thread!

Yeah, the Brickyard is not the most attractive thing in the world, but it is unique. I like how the round math building (Harrison, if I remember correctly) is slowly sinking. At least it was when I went there...maybe they got it fixed now. That's an engineering marvel. :rolleyes: My parents really did own a Le Car when I was growing up. A complete piece of garbage for a vehicle. No power, the electrical system kept going out, and it didn't crank half the time. But it was cheap and got some good gas mileage.

Well guess I'll know who you are if I see this driving around town guitar.gif

BTW here is the truck I'm looking at buying:

epDtq.jpg

T0Ejg.jpg

I really want something for the summer to take to the beach and for the winter to chase some snow.

Yea just need to get some seat belts in it in the next few days, and tags on Monday. That truck is awesome. I always thought it would be cool to have a jeep where you could take the doors off and cruise around in the summer, but be able to go anywhere in the winter as well. Hope you get it!

:lmao: great pic eyewall.

Well, today is going to be the warmest day we've had in months here. FFC forecasting 65 today and upper 60s tomorrow. I hope to god i don't hit 70 as I'd rather not break the streak of non 70 degree days at least.

Geez...bradford pear trees will start budding after this weekend, friggin lady bugs will be everwhere and the ants from HELL will be out of the ground especially after the big rains. I'm not happy at all about this warm up!

Archived