mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
January General Banter Thread III

Isopycnic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just found the one bright spot in this storm and I think Lookout will appreciate it too. Cantore just said DC is expecting 4" out of this which will double their seasonal total. If that is true then most of us will still have more snow than them after this storm. Little consolation but it still makes me smile. I know they will smoke us in the end but its almost February and its not too many years that we have more this late.

I just found the one bright spot in this storm and I think Lookout will appreciate it too. Cantore just said DC is expecting 4" out of this which will double their seasonal total. If that is true then most of us will still have more snow than them after this storm. Little consolation but it still makes me smile. I know they will smoke us in the end but its almost February and its not too many years that we have more this late.

I'm back in DC/Arlington now, and it is snowing like almost nothing I have ever seen. Over 6 inches in much of the area all ready and at least two to three more hours of this to come. Out in Loudoun County, some areas are getting three inches per hour. Local DC mets have increased forecasted totals to 10 inches or more! Airport is now effectively shut down. This thing is unreal!

I'm back in DC/Arlington now, and it is snowing like almost nothing I have ever seen. Over 6 inches in much of the area all ready and at least two to three more hours of this to come. Out in Loudoun County, some areas are getting three inches per hour. Local DC mets have increased forecasted totals to 10 inches or more! Airport is now effectively shut down. This thing is unreal!

Darn you, That's my snow I was suppose to get..... :D lol ENJOY !!!

Glad you are enjoying the storm DC :thumbsup: Don't forget to post some pictures :)

Just talked to my brother - driving W to E going to Ashburn: says he's moved 1,000 yards in 2 hours and it's like nothing he's ever seen. He's figuring 2 - 3" per hr., based on what he's seeing from sitting in the car. He said thank goodness for XM ....

(Send us a bottle of snow down this way, some year!).

I was just looking at IAD's obs. Impressive. Thundersnow. Temps aren't cold, around 32. Sounds like what happened around here the March 09 storm. If you get on the right side of an ULL, you're in business....oh what could have been.

But not to worry, we'll likely have 2 to 4 more solid chances in the South.

Just talked to my brother - driving W to E going to Ashburn: says he's moved 1,000 yards in 2 hours and it's like nothing he's ever seen. He's figuring 2 - 3" per hr., based on what he's seeing from sitting in the car. He said thank goodness for XM ....

(Send us a bottle of snow down this way, some year!).

I'm all for it snowing, but after my December debacle on my commute home I vowed I will never get caught again. Over 5 hours to go 13 miles from less than a tenth of precip :axe: And almost wrecking 5 times :axe:

I was just looking at IAD's obs. Impressive. Thundersnow. Temps aren't cold, around 32. Sounds like what happened around here the March 09 storm. If you get on the right side of an ULL, you're in business....oh what could have been.

Yeah, they are getting crushed, around 4" in DC to 7-8" towards Leesburg with lots of lightning. Some folks in the MA thread don't have power, and many other have lights flickering. Impressive considering this is going to be a quick hitter for them, but man is it hitting. I am jealous atm... :snowman:

anyone have any idea how the roads might be tomorrow afternoon traveling from charlotte to boone, banner elk, sugar mountain? i know they got around 6 inches today and am not familiar with how well they take care of there roads up there.

thanks!

Yeah, they are getting crushed, around 4" in DC to 7-8" towards Leesburg with lots of lightning. Some folks in the MA thread don't have power, and many other have lights flickering. Impressive considering this is going to be a quick hitter for them, but man is it hitting. I am jealous atm... :snowman:

yeah when you get up to 7" to 8" of the wet snow at 31 degrees you're in trouble with lines and trees. Thats a tremendous amount of weight. I don't think most folks (not on here) but average people wonder how just 7" of snow can bring down trees and lines, but that much water in the snow is so much more than what happens with regular snowstorms usually. Not only that, its the rate of it that structures and nature can't handle much. I wish I had set up a timelapse camera during the big one here just to show how quickly it accreted to everything. That temp and the size of the flakes was perfect to clump together, even around to the underside of lines. This is a cable coax with a 2 1/2" radius of snow wrapped around it here, with the cedar almost about to fall on it the next day. Turns out I cut that cedar in half, and it collapsed on the line anyway. I thought it was just an awesome spectacle to see snow wrap around a wire to that thickness, it may have been 3" in radius, which would be a 6" diameter...Lots of weight! About the equivalent of tying a 2 liter drink bottle (full) on the wire every foot along its length.

post-38-0-77250700-1296092633.jpg

I didnt quite have the damage here that I had from December 2002 but there were tons of branches and limbs down after 3/09. That's a snow you almost can do without.

I drove around the county the day after both storms and around my area to the state line it was like a warzone, but driving out of the area just a few miles towad town it was vastly different. I couldn't believe how different. And I remember thinking how much worse this was than the 2002 where I was, but it was quite localized to a few square miles.

I hate the way they lowered the age limit to 15 for American Idol this year. :angry::banned:

Yep...kind of opens up a can of worms-possibly...

On another note, I LOVE looking at Jennifer Lopez! I hope they have a lot of her getting out of her chair and hugging contestants! That would make for great ratings! :wub:

Music to my ears! Wanna team up and chase one if its close and our area is looking shabby? Might as well...would be a nice close to the season! :snowman::scooter:

I guess I am looking at it as that was one great storm for Christmas, but overall this winter has been a disappointment as far as snow goes.

Brick, I look at every storm as a blessing and am glad I/WE got it I don't expect another so when it arrives it comes as another blessing. I thank God for the frozen stuff and think my wife is helping. Be to see you complain about snow in your back yard is a lil too much. Have a good day.

I drove around the county the day after both storms and around my area to the state line it was like a warzone, but driving out of the area just a few miles towad town it was vastly different. I couldn't believe how different. And I remember thinking how much worse this was than the 2002 where I was, but it was quite localized to a few square miles.

March 09 was an amazing storm. The weight of the snow was tremendous and brought down tons of trees around here. However I only lost power for less than an hour the day after the snow.

Here are two pics from the storm showing the weight on the trees.

The first is a crepe myrtle that is usually double this size in height.

post-1368-0-26640000-1296096976.jpg

post-1368-0-82035200-1296096997.jpg

Yep...kind of opens up a can of worms-possibly...

On another note, I LOVE looking at Jennifer Lopez! I hope they have a lot of her getting out of her chair and hugging contestants! That would make for great ratings! :wub:

Haha! I was thinking the same exact thing. She hardly looks like the same J-Lo that co-starred in one of the greatest Jon Voight movies ever -- Anaconda. :D They got her looking good on the show, though. Yep.

Music to my ears! Wanna team up and chase one if its close and our area is looking shabby? Might as well...would be a nice close to the season! :snowman::scooter:

Yeah, you got 4x4? I used to go all the time to Boone area but that was years ago. Its gonna take a big one to really get interested. I actually used to chase upslope, but would prefer an ULL.

Archived