e46ds1x
January General Banter Thread III

Isopycnic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

008-1.jpg

wub.gif

March '09 was a good snow (although it wasn't quite as impressive up here in GSO with "only" 6").

It SUCKED how fast that snow melted, though, with the March sun angle and warm ground temperatures prior to the storm (remember we had a deluge of rain with temps in the 60s just before the ULL and the preceding period was warm, as well, I believe).

I'm planning on getting some type of 4x4 (either a Defender 90 or an FJ) next month so next year it will be ON for the chase!

Did you decide not to buy that FJ you have been looking at?

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and it's awesome in the snow. We just bought my wife a Ford Flex AWD and it does great in winter weather also.

Yea I was really thinking about getting a new Subaru WRX to have all wheel drive, and would love to go chase some storms some time. But I dont think I can pass up the new Mustangs. I had a 67 I drove for a while then tore apart to rebuild that I am selling now, and I test drove a new GT. and it was amazing. So I may just have to wait until I get my wife a new car, since she wants an MDX and it will be all whell drive.

http://www.skisugar.com/sugarlive/

Its pretty cool looking at the live cam now that you can see. You can see how much more snow is on all the trees up at the top of the mountain, since it was around 30 degrees and the base was 33 degrees during all that snow yesterday. Amazing how much of a difference 1,200 ft. makes.

From the mid atlantic forum

Initial totals from the NWS:

DCA: 5.0" (total 8.8" for the season) ...1.52" liquid (daily record beaten by 0.2")

IAD: 5.1" (total 8.9" for the season) ...1.31" liquid (daily record beaten by 0.54")

BWI: 7.8" (daily record broken by 0.9". total 12.1" for the season) ...1.82" liquid (daily record beaten by 0.49")

NOTE: IAD snow total has to be underdone... METAR was reporting as much as 9" of snow on the ground, with SNINCR reports of at least 6"

I have had around 13 or 14 inches total for the year (although I measured 10 inches in a number of spots, official reports around my area were around 9 inches so that is the reason for the 1 inch range..in the case I was wrong on my measurements. I picked up 4 to 4.5 with the first one). So that means I STILL have more snow than DC for the year and at worst tied with iad. :thumbsup: Although I know I lost a couple of inches in that first one due to the warm ground..probably would have had 6 or 7 if not for that. So probably about 16 has actually fallen from the sky :snowman: That said, it would have to be a bit dissappointing for them to have such high liquid totals and only end up with 5 or 6 inches.

I'm pretty amazed that I still have more than them, especially after this storm. However, unless we pick up another one, I'm sure they will likely end up with more in the end. A few of these systems in the long range are probably going to give them some. But it's nice to enjoy it while it lasts. Who knows though, maybe mother nature is in a really giving mood and will give us one more good one before the winter ends. It would be nice to actually beat them for once.

http://www.skisugar.com/sugarlive/

Its pretty cool looking at the live cam now that you can see. You can see how much more snow is on all the trees up at the top of the mountain, since it was around 30 degrees and the base was 33 degrees during all that snow yesterday. Amazing how much of a difference 1,200 ft. makes.

TheBlade - Maybe it was the time of morning when I saw it, but I almost fell out laughing at your avatar. I can't believe I haven't noticed it until now.

TheBlade - Maybe it was the time of morning when I saw it, but I almost fell out laughing at your avatar. I can't believe I haven't noticed it until now.

Yea a few people have said that, I still laugh every time I look at it so I am glad other people do to. :lol: Just wish it was a little bigger so you could read the words better.

The funny thing is that Brick never gets fired up at all the bashing he takes...which validates your point.

Yeah, I've learned that he never gets fired up because his intention is to try to get others fired up. He just hops from thread to thread dropping 1 liners trying to get fires started. It's actually pretty funny when you start paying attention.

Archived