mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
January General Banter Thread III

Isopycnic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't care what the predictions were for this winter coming into it. We had the coldes December ever and only two snow storms to show for it. Yes, the Christmas storm was nice, but since we have had nothing. Winter is just cold and miserable without snow.

we could all say that but you know its not going to snow 24/7 just because its cold. I would have liked to see more but everybody said we wouldn't get much becasue of La nina. I think we have done well so far and looks like more chances are possible

I still don't care what the predictions were for this winter coming into it. We had the coldes December ever and only two snow storms to show for it. Yes, the Christmas storm was nice, but since we have had nothing. Winter is just cold and miserable without snow.

What did you EXPECT?

Between 1989 and 1994, there was no snow at all. You average 6 or 7 inches a year and got more than that already. It's late January. There's a MONTH to go before you can whine about the winter.

Mother Nature would slap you for being so ungrateful!

So says the gentleman in the mountains of SW North Carolina. arrowheadsmiley.png

I think some people need to realize that places like Raleigh do not receive 25 inches a year. Its still Jan and even if you take away the Christmas storm. Most would still be happy with the winter as this point. The forecast was for a good Dec. Then torch.

It was not forecasted to be a blockbuster winter by anyone.

I am tired of hearing about more potential and threats and it doesn't ever work out. We had one every week this month. If I knew it was going to be like that, I'd rather it just warm up and be in the 60s and sunny.

Then leave the board. Anything beyond 60 hours is potential. If you want boring weather go check your nws service.

What did you EXPECT?

Between 1989 and 1994, there was no snow at all. You average 6 or 7 inches a year and got more than that already. It's late January. There's a MONTH to go before you can whine about the winter.

Mother Nature would slap you for being so ungrateful!

It has nothing to do with what I expect. I WANT more snow storms. We have had two. Two days out of 90. I just would like to have more. If it's going to be cold, it might as well snow the way I look at it. Otherwise, it's just a waste and boring and miserable.

So its over? No more blocking? Oh well. At least we had a surprise and pretty good early winter.

At this point I can't decide if I want to move to Vermont or Hawaii. :arrowhead:

LOL! I feel the same way. I LOVE the snow but hate the cold. If there is snow to play in, I don't mind being outside. When it's just cold for the heck of it, it's all I can do to get outside to see to my chickens. We've gotten spoiled the past couple of years and now expect snow.

I am really gambling throwing that out there.

LOL! Matt, that takes some guts forecasting that far out :arrowhead:

I don't know what to tell you for those that don't think this has been a good winter thus far. Has everybody gotten as much snow as they would like? Probably not. But, unless I am mistaken, I believe every county in North Carolina has gotten accumulating snow at least twice....and we are sitting here on Jan 26. That's pretty incredible.

Brick....your statement about only having two snowstorms to show for December.....really? This is North Carolina, not Buffalo. Only two snowstorms in December? Two.....in December. A Christmas weekend snow storm, which by the way, dropped over 10" in a bunch of places in eastern NC.

I know this system has left a sour taste any many people's mouth. But how soon we forget what it was like during the long, seemingly ever-lasting periods of the Southeast ridge some winters last decade. This is a La Nina winter.....I have to think any one of us, if asked in November, would have taken the results thus far in a heartbeat.

I don't know what to tell you for those that don't think this has been a good winter thus far. Has everybody gotten as much snow as they would like? Probably not. But, unless I am mistaken, I believe every county in North Carolina has gotten accumulating snow at least twice....and we are sitting here on Jan 26. That's pretty incredible.

Brick....your statement about only having two snowstorms to show for December.....really? This is North Carolina, not Buffalo. Only two snowstorms in December? Two.....in December. A Christmas weekend snow storm, which by the way, dropped over 10" in a bunch of places in eastern NC.

I know this system has left a sour taste any many people's mouth. But how soon we forget what it was like during the long, seemingly ever-lasting periods of the Southeast ridge some winters last decade. This is a La Nina winter.....I have to think any one of us, if asked in November, would have taken the results thus far in a heartbeat.

I know, the Christmas snow was awesome. I am just saying overall we have had only two snows the whole winter, and I doubt we will see more. We just have not had much in February the last few years. And I could really care less what the rest of NC gets.

Huh? That had nothing to do with the board. I just wish the potential actually worked out more than 1% of the time.

We live in Raleigh, N.C., not Boston, Ma. Our avg is a little over 7 inches a year, which we have surpassed. Would I of liked more snowfall so far? Sure, but I have reasonable expectations. Anything over avg you have to consider a good year.

LOL! I feel the same way. I LOVE the snow but hate the cold. If there is snow to play in, I don't mind being outside. When it's just cold for the heck of it, it's all I can do to get outside to see to my chickens. We've gotten spoiled the past couple of years and now expect snow.

Yep. I think most folks here like the snow, but generally dislike wet and cold but non frozen. A good bit of what I like is tracking the storms and observing the technical aspects of dynamic weather systems. When I was younger the snow was even more of a blast. Now I can see where living in the tropics might be rather nice.:lol:

We live in Raleigh, N.C., not Boston, Ma. Our avg is a little over 7 inches a year, which we have surpassed. Would I of liked more snowfall so far? Sure, but I have reasonable expectations. Anything over avg you have to consider a good year.

I guess I am looking at it as that was one great storm for Christmas, but overall this winter has been a disappointment as far as snow goes.

It has nothing to do with what I expect. I WANT more snow storms. We have had two. Two days out of 90. I just would like to have more. If it's going to be cold, it might as well snow the way I look at it. Otherwise, it's just a waste and boring and miserable.

Just move to a place that gets 300 inches a year

I guess I am looking at it as that was one great storm for Christmas, but overall this winter has been a disappointment as far as snow goes.

I guess I don't understand because the way I look at is, we are sitting here on January 26th and already passed our average snowfall for the year. Oh well, to each it's own.

EDIT: I will admit I was a little disappointed at the end of last year and we reached our average. I think a lot of that had to do w/ the expectations going into winter (El Nino) and all the close calls we had to big storms.

I know, the Christmas snow was awesome. I am just saying overall we have had only two snows the whole winter, and I doubt we will see more. We just have not had much in February the last few years. And I could really care less what the rest of NC gets.

Ok, first of all, the phrase "I could care less" doesn't imply what you are trying to convey. And while we're on the topic of things that make no sense, you know going into the winter that every potential system is not going to drop snow in you back yard. You know that. You live in Raleigh. You know your winter days are not going to be filled with snow, one after the other. You know that. You know that it is silly to be at the end of january and say february is going to deliver no snow. You know that. The only way you could possibly believe otherwise is to believe the long range models that show warm weather and no snow to be accurate -- something which you have already stated to be folly (accurate modeling). If you believe the models to be worthless, as you claim, then declaring winter over at this point is illogical, much like living in Raleigh and expecting either snow or warm weather when you know there are a lot of other kinds of weather that you are likely to get, including cold and dry.

Your rhetoric doesn't match your actions, and your behavior is illogical. Since you choose to stay in Raleigh year after year, the only conclusion one can draw is that you are incapable of establishing a threshold for a successful winter in this area and that the only measurement of success is the failure of each storm to deliver snow, providing you with the opportunity to do what ultimately brings you more satisfaction than anything else -- complain.

The biggest factor this winter to me is the almost constant below average temperatures this winter in my area. I can't remember a day above 60 since Thanksgiving, unless it was for a brief period just before a front passed through. It is very uncommon not to have a day or two of relative warmth between the cold spells. This winter has not really had that.

That, along with the above average snow, has satisfied me this winter. I'm ready for severe and then cane season now. My snow thirst has been quenched.

Brick, as Czar just said winter is far from over. We should have a few more chances at some frozen glory before it all said and done.

Excellent Post Matthew!!! And while I'm at it, thanks for the time you spend contributing to this board!

Ok, first of all, the phrase "I could care less" doesn't imply what you are trying to convey. And while we're on the topic of things that make no sense, you know going into the winter that every potential system is not going to drop snow in you back yard. You know that. You live in Raleigh. You know your winter days are not going to be filled with snow, one after the other. You know that. You know that it is silly to be at the end of january and say february is going to deliver no snow. You know that. The only way you could possibly believe otherwise is to believe the long range models that show warm weather and no snow to be accurate -- something which you have already stated to be folly (accurate modeling). If you believe the models to be worthless, as you claim, then declaring winter over at this point is illogical, much like living in Raleigh and expecting either snow or warm weather when you know there are a lot of other kinds of weather that you are likely to get, including cold and dry.

Your rhetoric doesn't match your actions, and your behavior is illogical. Since you choose to stay in Raleigh year after year, the only conclusion one can draw is that you are incapable of establishing a threshold for a successful winter in this area and that the only measurement of success is the failure of each storm to deliver snow, providing you with the opportunity to do what ultimately brings you more satisfaction than anything else -- complain.

Well said Cold Rain! I think you articulated the thoughts of many on the board with this post! Could we start the Brick bucking for weenie of the year thread? Limit his complaining to that thread alone. Let the tread run all year and his whining, wimpering posts are there for the entire forum to see come time to vote. Always good to have an informed electorate!

Archived