Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Return to normalcy before all hell break's loose again

moneypitmike

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight is going to be absolutely brutal with lows into the single digits...maybe even below zero in some locations. Tomorrow morning is going to SUCK at work. I work at a school on the weekend, open the doors and set up some chairs for basketball games that go on all day and I sit in the hallway right in front of the door where people come in and out all day...it gets FREEZING in there. Usually I'll go into the locker room every so often to warm up but I suspect I'll be spending 99% of my time tomorrow in there.

Photo of a hungry falcon eating a pigeon in my back yard. He grabbed the pigeon out of the air so he would not mess up the snow, and then chose the shoveled path for a 'table'.

post-3140-0-26473300-1295012510.jpg

Would have been awesome to see that capture. Had my fill of pidgeons after 20 years in Center City Philly.

Off to my delayed but not denied birthday weekend in Manchester VT. I think they got like two feet in the storm and a few inches coming Saturday. Bringing the snowshoes and looking forward to a hike up the backside of the Greens. Should be awesome. Home Sunday night and ready to track again.

Would have been awesome to see that capture. Had my fill of pidgeons after 20 years in Center City Philly.

Off to my delayed but not denied birthday weekend in Manchester VT. I think they got like two feet in the storm and a few inches coming Saturday. Bringing the snowshoes and looking forward to a hike up the backside of the Greens. Should be awesome. Home Sunday night and ready to track again.

From Manchester I would be hitting Equinox. "Easy" access too with an unplowed road to the summit and kick*ss 360* views.

23/14, had a few weenie flurries earlier. It looks amazing outside right now- 1.5 feet of snow on the ground, some trees with snow, the sun peaking through the clouds, just a classic mid-winter picture.:snowman:

Looks lke we might be near 0F tonight...might not quite make it but should be the coldest night of the year...which was 7F back on 12/10.

Donnie Baseball

Very nice analysis, Jorge. I'm a little slower with the timing, but do expect new AO/NAO blocking to develop in February. If past cases during which there was extreme December blocking are relevant, February could see a period of substantial blocking. Right now, I'm not overly concerned with the GFS ensembles showing little or no blocking toward the end of January. I believe that situation is merely an intermission of sorts between strong blocking regimes.

Donnie Baseball

Very nice analysis, Jorge. I'm a little slower with the timing, but do expect new AO/NAO blocking to develop in February. If past cases during which there was extreme December blocking are relevant, February could see a period of substantial blocking. Right now, I'm not overly concerned with the GFS ensembles showing little or no blocking toward the end of January. I believe that situation is merely an intermission of sorts between strong blocking regimes.

And there she goes with the extreme -NAO:

Really a beautiful pattern with a closed ridge over Greenland and a monster high pressure north of Alaska turning Canada into an ice box. Fun times...

We avoid any torch days too, just a 12 hour minor thaw, record snow depths in our future?

We could build up quite a snowpack, even down here. The pattern looks amazing in the long-range with the NAO/AO trending severely negative and a brutal polar vortex sitting over Hudson Bay, a bit like 93-94 but with more blocking and snow threats further south. There also seems to be decent agreement among the models for a Manitoba Mauler system potentially turning into a Miller B around Day 7.

Dropped to -6F at KEEN this morning. Looks like possibly one of the coldest reading in the region. Radiational cooling in the valley FTW

I don't about anyone else, but I'm still struggling with the day of the week; my sleep schedule has been screwy this past week lol

Whoaaa! Yeah, we didn't get close, "just" 12 here.

In looking at some weather station obs...it seems the near zero temps were somewhat isolated. Other places near me like Essex, Chester and Killingworth didn't even drop below 10F. I almost thought maybe my thermometer crapped out. But I did find a couple weather stations in the opposite directions that supported it...a -2 in Madison and a +4 in Guilford. Meriden, albeit further north, was -2F as well. But for the most part...it wasn't widespread. I'm kind of curious why the near-zero temps were so isolated and confined to a relatively small area. I know we can radiate like mad just inland...a couple years ago we hit -11F when just a few miles away at the coast didn't even crack zero...but in that case the subzero temperatures were very widespread once you got a mile or two away from the sound. Last night it was oddly isolated...I just happened to be in the right spot I guess.

In looking at some weather station obs...it seems the near zero temps were somewhat isolated. Other places near me like Essex, Chester and Killingworth didn't even drop below 10F. I almost thought maybe my thermometer crapped out. But I did find a couple weather stations in the opposite directions that supported it...a -2 in Madison and a +4 in Guilford. Meriden, albeit further north, was -2F as well. But for the most part...it wasn't widespread. I'm kind of curious why the near-zero temps were so isolated and confined to a relatively small area. I know we can radiate like mad just inland...a couple years ago we hit -11F when just a few miles away at the coast didn't even crack zero...but in that case the subzero temperatures were very widespread once you got a mile or two away from the sound. Last night it was oddly isolated...I just happened to be in the right spot I guess.

I was hoping you'd answer that :lol:

I'm a few miles off the sound but nope, none of that. Funny how that happens.

Archived