Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Next weeks Storm Threat and DT's Jan 21-22 Facebook threat

Ji

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was gooing to call Lakes cutter, but the GFS has been saying it from the Getgo.

The SE Ridge isn't bad to start out with, but since there is a stong unblocked northern Jet and the western ridge is too far west and retrograding, the storm makes it's own SE Ridge.

Nina is Finally here.

both the gfs and the euro have the ridge just sliding east regardless of track... im not sure what to believe, tendency has been for coastals tho maybe we get some silly split again but warmer overall this time

So.. the euro shows a near prefect "southern low" trajectory... with one flaw. It also has a weaker low pass through the lakes during the same time. Net result.. 850's scorch everyone east of the mountains.. and get a glorified coastal with nothing but liquid to fall.

But it gets better! Following it .. we get a massive cold shot.. (coldest of the season...) compliments of a huge PNA ridge out west.... plunging us into a very cold set up.... a very COLD and dry set up. :arrowhead:

So.. the euro shows a near prefect "southern low" trajectory... with one flaw. It also has a weaker low pass through the lakes during the same time. Net result.. 850's scorch everyone east of the mountains.. and get a glorified coastal with nothing but liquid to fall.

But it gets better! Following it .. we get a massive cold shot.. (coldest of the season...) compliments of a huge PNA ridge out west.... plunging us into a very cold set up.... a very COLD and dry set up. :arrowhead:

Isn't that a kick in the pants. :angry:

Euro ensemble shows a low in the OV, lakes area as well but looking at the 850's maybe a chance for north and east of the cities? Has a weak high to the north but that scoots right out just before the storm. Keep that in place a little longer and maybe have it a little stronger then we might be talking some slop for the cities.

06 GFS ensemble shows rain as well. Long range continues with the ridge in the west and the trough in the east.

GFS and Euro Ensembles on their model runs lately have been advertising a weak to moderate +NAO for an extended period of time. :thumbsdown:

unless some blocking comes back, we're toast in a NINA

but if its not going to snow, let it get warm for all I care because cold and dry sux

I'm sure I don't need to say it.

the cold and dry will be transient so the torture will end. with the the NAO going positive... even with a PNA ridge, without the block the cold wont last. I dont know that its going to be a massive arctic shot here anyway, the models don't all agree on that. certainly for the northern plains it will be bitter cold. But beyond that we likely get a reprieve with milder weather for a week or two anyway. Maybe mid to late Feb will be the time for a bigger snowstorm.

unless some blocking comes back, we're toast in a NINA

but if its not going to snow, let it get warm for all I care because cold and dry sux

Know some of the Mets had mentioned that they thought the NAO would relax for a period of time and then come back. If history is any indicator there's a good chance that will the case. I have noticed though that some of the runs of the op for the GFS and Euro lately do show a -NAO. Guess we'll see.

the EURO 132 is a sight to be hold even if its rain.

The low is east of ORF....there is heavy precip to the east of DC..a big fat hole over DC and the burbs and then precip well west and north of DC.

I

Ji, at this point I would not be surprised or amazed. Its a new england winter. It was projected to be a new england winter. I think, in the end, the last storm may include us, but otherwise, I,m not expecting anything more. Maybe 1 or 2" per storm but not much more. Its the seasonal trend. The snow hole of the east coast. Somethings you can';t change. This is one of them. Its beyond frustrating. Its the writing on the wall.

the EURO 132 is a sight to be hold even if its rain.

The low is east of ORF....there is heavy precip to the east of DC..a big fat hole over DC and the burbs and then precip well west and north of DC.

I

So it isn't the SNOW hole... it's the PRECIP hole. I'd love to see THAT pic. You know ... just to make me laugh.popcorn.gif

both the gfs and the euro have the ridge just sliding east regardless of track... im not sure what to believe, tendency has been for coastals tho maybe we get some silly split again but warmer overall this time

Both the gfs and euro ensembles indicate the negative nao is gone for now which will make it tough to get snow for awhile and suggests that the surface high will slide off the coast giving us trajectories off the ocean enough that I doubt there is much potential for snow or freezing rain unless you get well west of dc. The set up reminds me of last year's MLK storm. Nice track but the cold air is gone.

Archived