Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Next weeks Storm Threat and DT's Jan 21-22 Facebook threat

Ji

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you MUST live in the Mid Atl - Living in Maryland is a must. Marylanders do well in snows that narrowly miss DCA and N VA. Just look at last night. MD got 3 to 7 inches easy, while we agonized over two super skinny snowbands that barely gave us our third half inch blizzard of the memorable 2010-2011 season.

IN the Mid Atlantic - Maryland is THE place to be for good snows. I've seen it happen time after time while I cried over a dusting to half an inch - and THIS winter is definitely one of those near miss winters in N VA. This winter, one inch of snow is snowmageddon in DCA.

The real kicker is: I am never gonna get out of here. I might as well be in prison. I am serving a life sentence in N VA.

I was living near Great Falls Park in Va back in the '70s. Can't tell you how many times I'd do the drive from DC to McLean/Great Falls and watch the snow rates go up as I came north up the drive paralleling the river. Eventually, I had to make a choice of NOVA/I-395 corridor or go back to Md., where my roots are. Decision was simple -- I couldn't bare the thought of doing the I-395 drive every day during rush hour. Gradually worked my way from Silver Spring back to Columbia -- a great location, IMO !

That wxmx dude seems to be pretty sure the cold is coming....hope so

If the NAO tanks again I'd assume cold will win. The verdict seems out in the 10d+ range. If it holds off much longer I don't see severe cold at least.

We'll know soon enough. If the Nao starts tanking then we know the cold is on its way. The models right now are on and off showing the -NAO so we have such diverse outcomes. I am leaning towards the blockiness coming back just because of past history of a strong, consistent -NAO in the early part of the winter.

In reply to Lee

'That wxmx dude seems to be pretty sure the cold is coming....hope so '

A family pet ferret chewed off an infant's fingers, leaving the child with just two thumbs and a pinky in a home in Missouri.

read this on the WUSA website....lack of snow not so bad

dave johnson went dark today on facebook. I bet his wife chewed him out lol

Snow Chase anyone......Knew it snows up there, can't recall ever seeing a WSW for snow there though.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI

331 AM HST WED JAN 12 2011

...DANGEROUS WINTER STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED FOR THE SUMMITS OF

MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA TODAY THROUGH THURSDAY...

.DEEP MOISTURE AND UNSTABLE AIR AHEAD OF A COLD FRONT WILL BRING

HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS TO THE SUMMITS ABOVE 11000 FEET THROUGH

THURSDAY. STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS WILL RESULT IN CONSIDERABLE

BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...CREATING WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.

HIZ028-130245-

/O.UPG.PHFO.WS.A.0001.110112T2200Z-110114T0400Z/

/O.NEW.PHFO.WS.W.0001.110112T1331Z-110114T0400Z/

BIG ISLAND SUMMITS-

INCLUDING...MAUNA LOA AND MAUNA KEA ABOVE 8000 FEET

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM HST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HONOLULU HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOWFALL AND STRONG GUSTY WINDS RESULTING

IN CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT

UNTIL 6 PM HST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN

EFFECT.

TOTAL NEW SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 10 TO 18 INCHES ARE EXPECTED BY

LATE THURSDAY OVER THE BIG ISLAND SUMMITS ABOVE 11000 FEET. STRONG

SOUTHWEST WINDS GUSTING TO 50 MPH WILL RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT

BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AT THE SUMMITS. HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS

COULD BE ACCOMPANIED BY WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AND CLOUD TO GROUND

LIGHTNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

HIKERS AND CAMPERS SHOULD STRONGLY CONSIDER POSTPONING ANY TRIPS

TO THE SUMMIT UNTIL AFTER THE INCLEMENT WEATHER PASSES.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...

SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO

POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

&&

$$

BRENCHLEY

Snow Chase anyone......Knew it snows up there, can't recall ever seeing a WSW for snow there though.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI

...DANGEROUS WINTER STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED FOR THE SUMMITS OF

MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA TODAY THROUGH THURSDAY...

.DEEP MOISTURE AND UNSTABLE AIR AHEAD OF A COLD FRONT WILL BRING

HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS TO THE SUMMITS ABOVE 11000 FEET THROUGH

THURSDAY. STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS WILL RESULT IN CONSIDERABLE

BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...CREATING WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.

I really wanna shred some pineapple pow one day.

QPF is no problem when the air is warm.

Soon as we get 40s or 50s with a storm - that storm will NOT swerve around us. qpf will be at least an inch, with local 1.5 inch lollis over Woodbridge VA and over DCA - and the rain will fall unabated for three days as the storm gets captured right off Va. Beach, VA and spins in place for a whole week. We'll end up like Brisbane lol

Are the same ensembles that do the best in the long-medium range?

if that is true, and I don't know if it is or you are questioning them, they ain't much better than a crap shoot

and considering they were spitting out twice the qpf than what verified for a very large area < 24 hours in advance of the event, we should just ask why even look at them

Soon as we get 40s or 50s with a storm - that storm will NOT swerve around us. qpf will be at least an inch, with local 1.5 inch lollis over Woodbridge VA and over DCA - and the rain will fall unabated for three days as the storm gets captured right off Va. Beach, VA and spins in place for a whole week. We'll end up like Brisbane lol

Well, yeah. It's not just coincidence. with 40's/50's there usually is no strong high, blocking or very dry air to contend with.

if that is true, and I don't know if it is or you are questioning them, they ain't much better than a crap shoot

and considering they were spitting out twice the qpf than what verified for a very large area < 24 hours in advance of the event, we should just ask why even look at them

The ensembles are good at sniffing out a storm, not predicting the storm itself. They had a nor'easter for a long time.

more for entertainment purposes, but I just love how the polar vortex just heads south into Canada on tonight's NAM run

seems so easy

http://www.nco.ncep....00_l_loop.shtml

It might be that easy...2 days ago there were temps of -30 to -50 widespread in eastern Siberia on GREarth...tonight that region has warmed to -5 to -30 and along the far eastern Siberian area temps are in the +30's. Meanwhile northern Canada/eastern Alaska has cooled off. Where did the cold air go...it is crossing the pole evidently.

Archived