wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Jan 8 snow obs/discussion

TUweathermanDD

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started snowing here about 7:50, heavy snow for about and hour, still going good here. would say about .75 inches so far. Roads white, everything covered. Nice surprise! Thought this would do the Mt. Vernon split like lines of summer t-storms do, but this thing held, and actually seemed to get a round 2. Just cranked to SN+ again, probably approaching backedge.

Started snowing here about 7:50, heavy snow for about and hour, still going good here. would say about .75 inches so far. Roads white, everything covered. Nice surprise! Thought this would do the Mt. Vernon split like lines of summer t-storms do, but this thing held, and actually seemed to get a round 2. Just cranked to SN+ again, probably approaching backedge.

well, at least that confirms the back building on the composite radar, which is a good sign if this thing is going to get saved for Balt

well, at least that confirms the back building on the composite radar, which is a good sign if this thing is going to get saved for Balt

Not really back building, more like another cell that moved from the SW to the NE after the main line passed. Very summer t-storm like. Things are about done now, very fine flakes, just measured, good inch. Brings my seasonal total up to a whopping 3 inches!

Just saw on NBC 4, pretty big accident 95 south near the rest stops.

starting with the end of FEB, 2009, he's done well, though he was shortchanged on the 3 big events last year with changeoevers

The Richmond area has been horribly shafted from PDII all the way until March 2009. I hope they keep getting snow, but I'm getting sick of our own area being in the screwzone.

Decided to sleep in this morning for the first time in years. Wake up to the brightest sunshine I can ever remember. Look out the window and over an inch of snow on the ground. Didnt check the forum last night and I paid for it by missing the 30 minute blizzard. After measuring I got 1.1 inches. I am sure it has compacted somewhat by now though.

Decided to sleep in this morning for the first time in years. Wake up to the brightest sunshine I can ever remember. Look out the window and over an inch of snow on the ground. Didnt check the forum last night and I paid for it by missing the 30 minute blizzard. After measuring I got 1.1 inches. I am sure it has compacted somewhat by now though.

Easily the heaviest snow rates of the winter so far and I slept thru it too. It looks like it came through a little after 7 based on some of the radar images posted previously. I did see a little light snow around 3am today but missed the main event.

I guess an overperformer here in Westminster 1.75".

Nice. 1.1" from both batches here in Clarksburg. Winds are just now starting to pick up. 10mph average from the west with a gust to 21mph from the WSW in the last 15 minutes. Knocked the snow off all the trees. 25.1°F at 11:20am.

Nice. 1.1" from both batches here in Clarksburg. Winds are just now starting to pick up. 10mph average from the west with a gust to 21mph from the WSW in the last 15 minutes. Knocked the snow off all the trees. 25.1°F at 11:20am.

This is off-topic of this thread, but I've been meaning to ask you for some of your data from last winter-- what was your seasonal total up in Clarksburg, and what was your storm total for 2/5-6?

Thanks!

This is off-topic of this thread, but I've been meaning to ask you for some of your data from last winter-- what was your seasonal total up in Clarksburg, and what was your storm total for 2/5-6?

Thanks!

87" was the total. Fantastic year as we were all snow for all three storms and we were just far enough NE on the 2nd Feb storm to get 15". I think the 2/5-6 total was 28" but i may be mixing it up with 12/19. I'll have to check on my work computer on Monday. What was your total?

"I couldn't have picked a better weekend to go to Deep Creek. We've picked up about 14". 5" fell before we got here so we've had another 9" since 8pm yesterday. Some of the squalls today had 1/4 mile vis then the sun pops out before the next squall. Just beautiful today. Calling for another 3-6" overnight. If there we're good jobs out here I would move the whole family.

So were those WWA a bust this morning for Maryland? I knew DC proper had a light dusting that melted or blew away within an hour after it stopped but wasn't sure what happened farther north. On 11 p.m. news, they said Dulles and Reagan both ended up with a trace and BWI got 3/4 an inch. Hardly seemed to warrant the advisory, although it looks like a few of you all got an inch or two. On the news, they also mentioned a 55 car pile up on Interstate 95 in Prince William County Virginia due to a snow covered Interstate, so I guess conditions were bad in isolated locations.

Archived