• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 2024 Discussion - Welcome to Severe Season!!!!

weatherwiz

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

ahh yes I have come across some info that the lake boundaries can act as an enhancer. I think there is a similar connection across western NY. I recall reading some studies which analyzed several tornadoes which eerily had nearly identical tracks. 

Also one big difference between MI and our area today is I believe they got into the warm sector whereas we won't. Also a bit early in the season here so the SE sfc flow (while aiding in the SRH) provides us with muck off the water. If we had this same setup in even another 3 weeks it probably would have been interesting. 

Agreed the wf seems stagnant. 

By the way, I've also developed an anecdotal local correlation between morning rain/elevated convection on days where SNE does well.   Like all ...it's not 1::1... 

Something I noticed over the seasons that followed the Derecho in 1987 that came roaring down the Mohawk Trail.  The Monson tornado in 2011 ..there are others. There was a morning garble that seemed to imply a drab cold rain miserable day. But then the sky brightened by noon or 1pm sending T bursting under blue skylights.  

Boom

mm  maybe CT does better.  There appears to be pretty significant clearing and cloud fractal change punching E out of central/SE NY.  It may arrive over western zones. 

Probably cooked much N of the Pike ...certainly Rt 2 up here, though.   I saw waveform llv striations on hi res vis loop just before the debris canopy from this morning's activity hid them, moving SW of PWM latitude. That's probably active BDoring.   It would probably come through here unnoticed ...maybe some additional breeze, but limited effect on temperatures.  No warm front is getting NE of that feature *if* it does in fact get this far S before the synoptic low ripples through. 

Interesting intersection of air mass types though.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mm  maybe CT does better.  There appears to be pretty significant clearing and cloud fractal change punching E out of central/SE NY.  It may arrive over western zones. 

Probably cooked much N of the Pike ...certainly Rt 2 up here, though.   I saw waveform llv striations on hi res vis loop just before the debris canopy from this morning's activity hid them, moving SW of PWM latitude. That's probably active BDoring.   It would probably come through here unnoticed ...maybe some additional breeze, but limited effect on temperatures.  No warm front is getting NE of that feature *if* it does in fact get this far S before the synoptic low ripples through. 

Interesting intersection of air mass types though.

It has certainly brightened over the past 10 minutes or so....impressive 0.92" of rain this morning 60/59 atm

54 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Agreed the wf seems stagnant. 

By the way, I've also developed an anecdotal local correlation between morning rain/elevated convection on days where SNE does well.   Like all ...it's not 1::1... 

Something I noticed over the seasons that followed the Derecho in 1987 that came roaring down the Mohawk Trail.  The Monson tornado in 2011 ..there are others. There was a morning garble that seemed to imply a drab cold rain miserable day. But then the sky brightened by noon or 1pm sending T bursting under blue skylights.  

Boom

That is definitely something I noticed as well. Happened on 5/31/98. Had multiple rounds of strong morning convection which I think cleared out by 9 or 10 AM and an hour or two later it was wall-to-wall Sun and temps pushing 90. 

Likely a product of an advecting EML in these setups. The stout inversion helps to eliminate the RH field, we get rapid clearing, and the inversion with the EML prevents CU from forming until we're able to bring in the forcing. Pretty awesome how it all works really.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Quite the difference in guidance with precip for tomorrow and especially tomorrow night. The 3km has a decent precip shield moving through overnight while its counterpart is like what precip lol. 

Huge temp differences between the 3k and 12k NAM for Friday. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

6 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Huge temp differences between the 3k and 12k NAM for Friday. 

Normally I would just toss NAM temperatures but this is probably a scenario the NAM will coop well. We aren't going to probably mix well and be stuck with a onshore flow. Despite it being quite chilly aloft, if we were able to mix and get some Sun it would still be several-plus degrees warmer (probably to about what the GFS has). 

Clearing punching through CT now.. nearing HFD.  Also western MA and VT starting to thin.

It'll be interesting to see what we're left with when the last of this mid u/a debris passes off - what will it expose underneath.  It may be the old SNE latex paint spill

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

First breaks of sun here

which means nothing if no one knows where 'here' is ?   lol -

I'm one to talk. But I do say my town.   Are you "can'tconnectadick" ?

It looks like warm sector intrusion by sat.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

which means nothing if no one knows where 'here' is ?   lol -

I'm one to talk. But I do say my town.   Are you "can'tconnectadick" ?

It looks like warm sector intrusion by sat.

I thought it was on the profile, :lol: but noted. 

East Hartford, CT

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Clearing punching through CT now.. nearing HFD.  Also western MA and VT starting to thin.

It'll be interesting to see what we're left with when the last of this mid u/a debris passes off - what will it expose underneath.  It may be the old SNE latex paint spill

75/70 here in SWCT some 80/70 obs showing up closer to NY border 

• Like 1

The HRRR is intriguing. It has been pretty consistent. Satellite trends and mesoanalysis show WF progression. I'm still a little concerned about the degree of dry air, but we're not looking at widespread storms here. Looking at the potential for a few, mainly a tiny cluster and if updrafts can become mature enough there's plenty to tap into.