• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024

16 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

We hit 108 on Long Island in 2011, one of our wettest years on record.

That 108° In Mineola was in 2010 which was drier before the epic deluge from August into September 2011. 

On 4/4/2024 at 10:24 PM, Dark Star said:

For NYC proper, they are close enough to the ocean for Seabreeze cooling effects.  When land heats up, it rises. The "missing" air at the surface has to be replaced.  If you are close enough to the ocean, cooler air along the surface will rush in.  Morristown NJ may be far enough west not to be affected by an afternoon sea breeze.

W to NW winds will stop that from happening

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

That 108° In Mineola was in 2010 which was drier before the epic deluge from August into September 2011. 

Yes, the key is for it not to be wet for a couple of weeks around the time of peak heat.  I think we could have hit 100 last year if the rains waited for August like in 2011.

April and May and June were pretty dry from what I remember.

On 4/4/2024 at 10:55 PM, psv88 said:

I want to say 2010 or so was when we had that blast of 100+ where Gilgo beach hit 108. Point remains, an offshore flow negates the impact of the ocean. 

You probably exceeded 100 in 2011 too, JFK hit 103 in July 2011 (2 days in a row of 100+) and 102 in July 2010 (3 days out of 4 of 100+)

17 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yes, the key is for it not to be wet for a couple of weeks around the time of peak heat.  I think we could have hit 100 last year if the rains waited for August like in 2011.

April and May and June were pretty dry from what I remember.

All it took was a dry July and August in 2022 for 4-6 days reaching 100° away from the sea breeze influence in NJ. NJ probably could have made it 10 days if they were able to get a real drought like back in 2002.

Data for July 1, 2022 through August 31, 2022
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Name
Station Type
Number of Days Max Temperature >= 100 
NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 6
Newark Area ThreadEx 6
FREEHOLD-MARLBORO COOP 5
SOMERSET AIRPORT WBAN 5
CANOE BROOK COOP 4
HARRISON COOP 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

But wasn't 2010 dry?

and you can still have well over 100 degrees in a wet pattern-- 2011 is proof of this

The epic deluge in August into September 2011 came after the record heat in June and July. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

All it took was a dry July and August in 2022 for 4-6 days reaching 100° away from the sea breeze influence in NJ. NJ probably could have made it 10 days if they were able to get a real drought like back in 2002.

Data for July 1, 2022 through August 31, 2022
Name
Station Type
NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 6
Newark Area ThreadEx 6
FREEHOLD-MARLBORO COOP 5
SOMERSET AIRPORT WBAN 5
CANOE BROOK COOP 4
HARRISON COOP 4

I think it's absolutely criminal that these places get to experience 100 degrees while we have not hit 100 since 2013-- the real drought is the lack of 100 degrees in the city and on Long Island.

Tomorrow will again feature readings in the 50s. Afterward, it will likely turn noticeably warmer.

Monday should see partly to mostly sunny skies, allowing for good viewing of the solar eclipse in the New York City area. The temperature should top out in the lower 60s. The highest probability of minimal cloud cover in the path of totality in the Northeast will likely be across northern New England, particularly Maine.

The warmest day of the week will likely be Tuesday when temperatures rise into perhaps the lower 70s in New York City and upper 70s to perhaps near 80° in Washington, DC. A moderate to significant rainfall is possible late in the week with much of the region picking up a general 1.00"-2.00" of rain.

New York City's Central Park remains on track to finish the 2023-2024 snow season with less than 10" of seasonal snowfall for a record second consecutive season. Records go back to 1869.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.4°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.0°C for the week centered around March 27. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.42°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.27°C. The ongoing basinwide El Niño event is fading. Neutral conditions could develop later in the spring.

The SOI was -18.32 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.182 today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I think it's absolutely criminal that these places get to experience 100 degrees while we have not hit 100 since 2013-- the real drought is the lack of 100 degrees in the city and on Long Island.

If you like 100° days that much you have to move north or west of the sea breeze front. The stronger high east of New England has keep the South Shore cooler since the 15-16 super El Niño. 

Data for January 1, 2015 through April 6, 2024
State
Name
Station Type
NJ HARRISON COOP 10
NJ NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 8
NJ CANOE BROOK COOP 6
NY LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 3
NJ CALDWELL ESSEX COUNTY AP WBAN 2
NY SETAUKET STRONG COOP 2
NJ CRANFORD COOP 1

Data for January 1, 2015 through April 6, 2024
State
Name
Station Type
NJ FREEHOLD-MARLBORO COOP 6
NJ SOMERSET AIRPORT WBAN 5
PA PHILADELPHIA FRANKLIN INSTITUTE COOP 5
NJ LONG BRANCH-OAKHURST COOP 4
NJ HIGHTSTOWN 2 W COOP 4
  • Like 1

Again GFS and GEFS mapping out the way to a cool wet summer and if weather systems are situated anything like this we won't be seeing any hurricanes near the east coast. It's early so things could change but idea of an upper low over the northeast and northwest Atlantic is awfully persistent. I gotta hope these maps are as bogus as all the heat the model advertised last August.

WX/PT

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_57.png

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

6 hours ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

Again GFS and GEFS mapping out the way to a cool wet summer and if weather systems are situated anything like this we won't be seeing any hurricanes near the east coast. It's early so things could change but idea of an upper low over the northeast and northwest Atlantic is awfully persistent. I gotta hope these maps are as bogus as all the heat the model advertised last August.

WX/PT

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_57.png

Given all the warm water in the NW Atlantic I'd be very surprised at a cool/wet summer....

• Like 2

14 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Tomorrow will again feature readings in the 50s. Afterward, it will likely turn noticeably warmer.

Monday should see partly to mostly sunny skies, allowing for good viewing of the solar eclipse in the New York City area. The temperature should top out in the lower 60s. The highest probability of minimal cloud cover in the path of totality in the Northeast will likely be across northern New England, particularly Maine.

The warmest day of the week will likely be Tuesday when temperatures rise into perhaps the lower 70s in New York City and upper 70s to perhaps near 80° in Washington, DC. A moderate to significant rainfall is possible late in the week with much of the region picking up a general 1.00"-2.00" of rain.

New York City's Central Park remains on track to finish the 2023-2024 snow season with less than 10" of seasonal snowfall for a record second consecutive season. Records go back to 1869.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.4°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.0°C for the week centered around March 27. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.42°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.27°C. The ongoing basinwide El Niño event is fading. Neutral conditions could develop later in the spring.

The SOI was -18.32 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.182 today.

Looks like we will start another nice dry stretch after Friday, with a sunny weekend and dry and sunny for the start of the following week too :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

How often does that happen though? JFK is in a south operation almost all summer

I think the way it happens is that the south wind gets delayed until after 3 or 4 pm.

From what I've noticed, the temperatures rise here quickly (4 degrees per hour) until the sea breeze kicks in.  As long as the sea breeze is delayed until after 3 pm it can get very hot here.

2010 was like this