• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

I think you'd need to be inside and sitting to really feel it...

I was standing up, 2nd floor of my office here in Long Valley and we most definitely felt it. Pretty much evacuated the building the moment it was over. 

Of course my friend in California is making fun of us. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

I was standing up, 2nd floor of my office here in Long Valley and we most definitely felt it. Pretty much evacuated the building the moment it was over. 

Of course my friend in California is making fun of us. 

haha--yeah you were closer to it so probably more evident there vs here....

Just now, Brian5671 said:

haha--yeah you were closer to it so probably more evident there vs here....

it had some folks shaken up here (no pun intended). 

I remember the 2011 one. I was working in New Providence at the time, was sitting at my desk and suddenly it felt like I was on a wave. I actually started to think I was being hit with some weird vertigo attack. 5 seconds later my middle daughter texts me from VA, visiting my in-laws, with "Earthquake!"

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, ag3 said:

Entire building was rumbling and vibrating for a good 15 seconds here in Bayside, Queens.

The other 2 earthquakes in my lifetime (NYC) were nothing like this one. Those were very weak.

Felt one in Greece as well, but didn't last long.

Definitely memorable and a bit scary.

Definitely  a lot scarier and longer lasting than the one in August 2011.  In what year was the first one you felt?

49 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Sheww.  that was close tho.  

I wonder if we can have tsunamis on lakes though? Or is there a different word for that?  A seish (spelling?)

In August 2011 I was actually getting ready to take a bath when that earthquake happened and my bathtub was full of water and I heard the water sloshing back and forth from the other room.

43 minutes ago, ag3 said:

Entire building was rumbling and vibrating for a good 15 seconds here in Bayside, Queens.

The other 2 earthquakes in my lifetime (NYC) were nothing like this one. Those were very weak.

Felt one in Greece as well, but didn't last long.

Definitely memorable and a bit scary.

Sometimes they go by so quickly and you don't realize it's an earthquake until after it's over.  This was not one of those.  It lasted long enough so that you knew it was an earthquake while it was happening, sort of like a slow motion train wreck, plus I noticed the shaking moving from one side of my house to the other and it was a violent kind of shaking, like some giant was holding my house in his hands and shaking it vigorously from the outside.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

it had some folks shaken up here (no pun intended). 

I remember the 2011 one. I was working in New Providence at the time, was sitting at my desk and suddenly it felt like I was on a wave. I actually started to think I was being hit with some weird vertigo attack. 5 seconds later my middle daughter texts me from VA, visiting my in-laws, with "Earthquake!"

That's a good analogy, 2011 did feel like vertigo where today just felt like a vibration and shaking. I'm in the same building that I was in 2011 but was on the third floor then, first floor now. I'm not sure how much of a factor that is but to me 2011 was worse so its interesting to read everyone's different take here.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I wonder if we can have tsunamis on lakes though? Or is there a different word for that?  A seish (spelling?)

In August 2011 I was actually getting ready to take a bath when that earthquake happened and my bathtub was full of water and I heard the water sloshing back and forth from the other room.

Yeah I know what you mean. Those can be nasty

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

That's a good analogy, 2011 did feel like vertigo where today just felt like a vibration and shaking. I'm in the same building that I was in 2011 but was on the third floor then, first floor now. I'm not sure how much of a factor that is but to me 2011 was worse so its interesting to read everyone's different take here.  

Wow, it was completely different down here, this one felt MUCH more violent and lasted MUCH longer, I was never scared in 2011, while with this one I felt like the walls were about to collapse and different parts of the house were shaking differently and it came in multiple waves.

• Like 2

Just now, IrishRob17 said:

I'm 10 miles NW of Lebanon, NJ, so obviously this was far worse than 2011. 

It felt like someone hit the building at first, but then the rattling and rumbling continued and about 1/2 way thru it everyone stood up in horror. I was just standing there, looking outside seeing if any trees were moving (not sure why, but it was the first thing I did) and then we thought maybe something happened on the first floor with the welding shop. Then we all went outside and froze our butts off for 15 mins. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

For those tracking historic earthquakes in the NYC area:

image.png.e2afbaec8c6ed7874027d9a40e468944.png

So far, there have been six minor aftershocks. Four were magnitude 2.0 or above. The strongest was magnitude 2.2.

where can i see the aftershock data? cause one site only shows 2.5 or greater.

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

animals always feel it sooner than we do, but in this case the dog was a little slow to react lol

I would not want to experience anything stronger than this. 

• Like 4