Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2024 disco/obs

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, H2Otown_WX said:

It's actually a pretty cool city. I went there for a wedding a year and a half ago. I'd live there if I were rich.

Ya…I get it, everyone is different, but that area doesn’t attract me.  But it’s all good. 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Now what does equates to is a different story. A lot of it will be rain, but some of it can be in the form of snow ( or frozen ) And if we get it just right, who knows.....

Nobody knows yet…I think we’ve determined this a bunch of times at this time of the year.  

2 hours ago, ChangeofSeasonsWX said:

The irony is that as of lately it seems as though Seattle gets more weather extremes than our area. How about their June 2021 heat wave, with temperatures 5 to 10 degrees above previous all time records? Hot Saturday in 1975 didn't accomplish that feat around here. Maybe July 1911 did in some areas, but I'm not sure. Even with regards to snowfall, outside of the downtown area it seems like they have been running above average relative to their climo for the last few seasons, versus us running below average with ours.

It is less likely that we will ever experience a synoptic/synergistic heat burst the likes of which they experienced out there, because of where we are situated with respect to the rest of the continent and the adjacent Labrador current.

When we are not being fiddled with by the ladder cooling influence… our air mass is a result of having collected the bio ozone and or subtropical inflow off of the southwest Atlantic basin.  We are a more humid baseline summer atmosphere, which is not conducive to temperatures rising to between 110 and 114° By circumstance when our dewpoint are low in the summer, it is typically because of kinetically cooled air mass from Canada

There’s a reason why the ballast of our warming climate expression here in New England is in the nocturnal side of the diurnal.  Fromunda’ dewpoints keep the air back-a ballz sultry at night. People have to understand that climate change means holding more water vapor in the atmosphere…

Anyway, if it ever got to 104/76 that’s hot enough anyway because the heat index would be probably comparable to what they got out there and that would be the way that we would do it through the HI

• Like 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Turned into a miserable 30s and rain afternoon and evening up here.  Yikes, this is brutal.  It was like 32.5F rain on the mountain.  37F rain here in the valley.

It was like that many times all winter long down here – no sympathy. Lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It was like that many times all winter long down here – no sympathy. Lol

For sure, wasn't looking for sympathy as I know you guys have been porked all winter long while there's been at least some winter weather above.

To me it's the fact that climo now is turning and +8 could sustain some wintry weather up here in mid-winter, but as we flip to March those departures become inhospitable to snow.

Normal daily average right now is 22F... +8 to +10 is now at freezing when it wasn't in the previous months.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

People forget we had about 24 inches of rain in 50 days in December and early January much of which fell in the 30s.

actually check that… Just seems that way

Not far off, had about 18” here in that time frame

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mostly from about March 15 through May 1, what you get is what's going on out there right now.  Light rain/40s F 

I’ve been saying this for years. If I leave VT when I retire, it will be this time period, maybe through May 15th. Thinking that where my brother lives in SW GA or the FL Panhandle would be good for those two months. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Found ~12" (3" gray, 9" black) on Flying Pond, about 10 miles south of my place, but almost no action last Tuesday.  Maybe try again Monday.  In an average winter there would be 18-20" this time of year.

It’s actually pretty amazing.  Summers are dry and beautiful with long days and light until close to 9:30-10pm in high summer.  You’re within 90 minutes of epic snows in winter with the occasional snower into the city.

I've only been there (actually near Olympia) twice, both times for Thanksgiving week, and there was rain every day both times.  Only about 4 of the 14 days were stormy all day; the others had occasional showers - every cloud seemed to spill a little.  Some say that it only rains once in November, from the 1st thru the 30th.

No doubt winter is dark and wet but huge snows are not far away.  I went to paradise ranger station around June of 1990.  It is fairly low in elevation but has booked 1000 inches in a season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It is less likely that we will ever experience a synoptic/synergistic heat burst the likes of which they experienced out there, because of where we are situated with respect to the rest of the continent and the adjacent Labrador current.

When we are not being fiddled with by the ladder cooling influence… our air mass is a result of having collected the bio ozone and or subtropical inflow off of the southwest Atlantic basin.  We are a more humid baseline summer atmosphere, which is not conducive to temperatures rising to between 110 and 114° By circumstance when our dewpoint are low in the summer, it is typically because of kinetically cooled air mass from Canada

There’s a reason why the ballast of our warming climate expression here in New England is in the nocturnal side of the diurnal.  Fromunda’ dewpoints keep the air back-a ballz sultry at night. People have to understand that climate change means holding more water vapor in the atmosphere…

Anyway, if it ever got to 104/76 that’s hot enough anyway because the heat index would be probably comparable to what they got out there and that would be the way that we would do it through the HI

I think its interesting how our climate has a more humid summer baseline than Seattle, considering the cool Pacific flow in the Seattle area, I would've thought that a synergistic heat burst would be equally unlikely there, but apparently not. Even though we tend to get a more southwest versus westerly flow in the summer, which brings humid air from the GOM, you would think that the humidity would still moderate somewhat by the time it reaches this far north. Even with the cool Labrador Current to our east, how often do you see easterly flow in the summertime? Not too often, whereas the west coast sees it constantly. It sucks that climate change is going to make it even more humid in the summer than it already is, because I hate humidity. I would rather be breaking heat records with dry heat than breaking high dewpoint records with weeks of endless swampass.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ChangeofSeasonsWX said:

I think its interesting how our climate has a more humid summer baseline than Seattle, considering the cool Pacific flow in the Seattle area, I would've thought that a synergistic heat burst would be equally unlikely there, but apparently not. Even though we tend to get a more southwest versus westerly flow in the summer, which brings humid air from the GOM, you would think that the humidity would still moderate somewhat by the time it reaches this far north. Even with the cool Labrador Current to our east, how often do you see easterly flow in the summertime? Not too often, whereas the west coast sees it constantly. It sucks that climate change is going to make it even more humid in the summer than it already is, because I hate humidity. I would rather be breaking heat records with dry heat than breaking high dewpoint records with weeks of endless swampass.

Wind turned E … that was a katabatic compression of an already anomalously hot air mass. 

The emergent synoptic circumstance had never been seen - it was determined to be CC feedback upon attribution science.  Bringing that freak high kinetically charged, low DP air down slope was a death knell. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Wind turned E … that was a katabatic compression of an already anomalously hot air mass. 

The emergent synoptic circumstance had never been seen - it was determined to be CC feedback upon attribution science.  Bringing that freak high kinetically charged, low DP air down slope was a death knell. 

Yeah it was definitely an unprecedented atmospheric setup for that region. I also just realized from my last post that southwest flow in the summertime wouldn't bring the humid air all the way from the Gulf of Mexico this far north, it would be from the waters south of Long Island which makes much more sense. lol But it certainly is still possible for us to get a similarly anomalous setup in this area, albeit probably not as extreme. I'd be curious to see the synoptic setup for July 1911, which is probably the closest that this area has come to that.