Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Refresher snow & obs between ~midnight and Noon Sat Feb 17 2024

wdrag

Just now, USCG RS said:

I think LI is another good spot here. 

Been thinking the same thing but seems to be differing opinions on this. Maybe east end isn't as great but think at least western half should be ok. Some south shore places may see more in this one than Tuesday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

That’s fine. There seems to be a concerted effort here to make 38° sound like it’s a normal overnight temp in February and cold enough for snow. The snow is gonna have to start falling and the temperature is gonna have to cool down. And all that has to happen in an urban environment.

And that will affect total accumulations. That’s all I’m saying.

I agree with what you are saying regarding 38F in February being not great. That withstanding, this is a different situation. The Physics of the atmosphere changes everything. 38F in dry cold air with a system overrunning (SWFE) is a pretty good place to be in February. Now, if we were developing a coastal with initially Easterly winds prior to a backside, then I would 100% be agreeing that NYC was in trouble. Different system and physics here though. 

2 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

Been thinking the same thing but seems to be differing opinions on this. Maybe east end isn't as great but think at least western half should be ok. Some south shore places may see more in this one than Tuesday.

Yeah, I could definitely see that. SWFE can sometimes favor southern areas. That withstanding - given trends- I would say most of LI should be in for a good period of accumulating snow. I would not be surprised to see 4-7 in places. 

Light snow on the uws. Based on the radar trend on the heavy band looks like this area is going to just a little too far north for the best snow. At home on the south shore of the island we should be in the northern part of the best banding. I’m thinking a Monmouth county jack for our area, it’s been a while!

19 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Very light snow and 34

Dusting on colder surfaces now. If the latest HRRR is right, our area is heading towards about 3 inches. I'll watch for another half hour and then go to bed. The one bad thing about overnight snow is it's during sleep. I'm not gonna stay up too long for an event that's a few inches, but it'll be nice to see the snow on the ground in the morning. 

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Think the heaviest stays south of the island. Congrats NJ

Yeah it looks like that northern band really died off and most radar returns continue to be virga. Makes sense with a southern band taking up most of the energy and dumping the southern zones. Kind lf like what Tomer was saying. 

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

32/24 here.  Watching that awesome band look for all the world like it wants nothing to do with the north shore.

It also looks to be about a mile south of weatherpruf.

It’s not our storm. Can’t get em all. 

Light snow and 31, not even a dusting though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

It’s not our storm. Can’t get em all. 

Light snow and 31, not even a dusting though. 

The lighter stuff north of Harrisburg should pivot through here and give us a couple inches maybe. But that fronto band was how we had a chance at more than that. It'll be a nailbiter for the south shore or if it stays just off the beach.