• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 8th Eclipse- Last Easy One To See In My Lifetime

Interstate

lessons for 2045 (writing these for myself)

- cirrus clouds are fake - don’t worry about them.
- probably want to spend the day before and the day after there
- pre-eclipse traffic is fake. Post-eclipse traffic is more real
- can watch from anywhere. Doesn’t matter where… just go
- if you want to film a video to show others, try and avoid crying of awe in the background lol

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

A couple of downfalls of the trip

1.  Waze sucks.  I deleted the app... On the way home it took me through Youngstown

2. Why does PA have one lane closed from Breezewood to the MD line with no roadwork being done on I-70?

3.  Why would MD close two lanes going up South Mountain knowing that traffic would be heavy.

With that all being said, I would to it again tomorrow.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Interstate said:

1.  Waze sucks.  I deleted the app... On the way home it took me through Youngstown

2. Why does PA have one lane closed from Breezewood to the MD line with no roadwork being done on I-70?

3.  Why would MD close two lanes going up South Mountain knowing that traffic would be heavy.

First time driving through PA? ;) 

• Haha 1

Unsurprisingly I think we took the same route back. I also got detoured into Youngstown. I guess we’ll never know if that was Waze being smart or too smart for its own good. It did good getting me off 270 for the 4th lane closure of the day.

1 hour ago, Interstate said:

This is the same penndot that has ongoing construction on pretty much all major routes into state college each fall during PSU football season despite knowing that game day Saturdays result in the town being inundated with traffic and becomes the 3rd largest city in the state behind Philly and Pittsburgh. Penndot does what they want to.

9 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

- if you want to film a video to show others, try and avoid crying of awe in the background lol

2045 center path goes right over Disney World -- that place is gonna lost its mind over that

I wanted to see this one but it didn't happen so it's 2045 or bust!  (I'll be 78)

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, snowfan said:

This is the same penndot that has ongoing construction on pretty much all major routes into state college each fall during PSU football season despite knowing that game day Saturdays result in the town being inundated with traffic and becomes the 3rd largest city in the state behind Philly and Pittsburgh. Penndot does what they want to.

I worked on a PennDOT road crew every summer from the last two years of HS right on through all four years of college. The biggest running joke I repeatedly heard back then -- Q: What's yellow and sleeps six?  A: A PennDOT crew cab!  (Rimshot)  ;) 

1 hour ago, BlizzardNole said:

2045 center path goes right over Disney World -- that place is gonna lost its mind over that

I wanted to see this one but it didn't happen so it's 2045 or bust!  (I'll be 78)

Same age for me. Perhaps I'll work a codicil into our will, that our sons must wheel us into WDW to see the (hopefully?) final eclipse of our lifetime. They'll just love that...  :D 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Forget 2045, I’m hooked now. I need another one of these sooner.

*checks Alaska March climo for 2033*

That Alaska one is intriguing. Your ass could get eaten by a polar bear while watching the eclipse. lol.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Adding to this, while the extra length is nice, you don’t have to be center line to enjoy totality.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Spain 2026

36 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Iceland!

I’ve heard this one is likely to be cloudy though? Spain gets three eclipses in less than three years though, which shouldn’t be allowed.

35 minutes ago, snowfan said:

That Alaska one is intriguing. Your ass could get eaten by a polar bear while watching the eclipse. lol.

Tbh I couldn’t think of a better way to go out. LOL

On 4/8/2024 at 10:44 PM, NorthArlington101 said:

17 hours of driving in 36 hours later. Worth it - though I wouldn’t do it again if it was tomorrow haha

You are a hero for driving all those hours to see the total solar eclipse!

• Like 1

We got back last night from NH. It was an amazing experience and worth all the driving the last few days. It took us almost 4 hours to drive 90 minutes back to the rental from Colebrook on Monday. But it took family members from Manchester, NH over 12 hours to get from Colebrook to Manchester. 

Ironically enough while eating lunch in Colebrook on Monday (a very small, rural town), we were moving tables on the patio to make room for a family to be able to sit. We got chatting and they were visiting from Alexandria, VA too. Small world! 

• Like 5

Yikes, 12 hours through NH is nuts. We had a ~50 min backup to go about 6 miles as we were leaving Monday. Stopped in Johnson City, TX, for dinner to get out of it and the local businesses were actually mostly disappointed with the lack of customers. 

• Like 1

we drove back from Ohio yesterday and the traffic was heavy the entire time. there were multiple accidents and some construction, and at one point Waze routed us through Pittsburgh itself, where we saw a bunch of the city’s bridges. on the other hand, a different detour landed us in an Amish town, complete with horses and buggies.

the experience was worth every inconvenience. i still can’t believe what i saw fewer than 48 hours ago.

• Like 3

Question for those of you who saw totality in both 2017 and 2024. I notice that the width of totality with this eclipse was larger than it was for 2017. My question is: Did this eclipse's totality seem darker than 2017s?