Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

12 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

This wasn't exactly a great storm, but it was a nice storm to get after 2 years of nearly nothing.

Pretty much everyone got this storm wrong, even the people who thought the city would get a foot of snow or that north of the city would get barely anything lol.

All the models were wrong too, don't beat yourself up about it lol.

For nyc the models were fine once they reversed their northern trend on Sunday. In fact the eps and gfs were spot on 5 days ago at least with the axis of snow if not the amounts

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

I saw a 6.1 report from metuchen so right in line

Yeah, just saw that too; wasn't mine as I had 6.0" and didn't report it yet (I usually do post them on the NWS FB page - sometimes they get used, sometimes not).  Surprised that Metuchen seems to have gotten the most in Middlesex County, although I've seen reports not too far N of us in Union County (Westfield, Roselle, etc.) of 7-8", so maybe not a surprise.  Maybe that subsidence death band hurt folks south of us more than it hurt us and we did get a hellaciously good band, getting 1.75" in one hour through 8:30 am. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

6 is a pretty good storm for us, we were progged for 4-8, so there we are. Was hoping for a bit more but it's fine. Was a little tough driving down route 1 this morning to Edison, and worse coming home, but things are fine now. More like a March storm IMO.

Agreed, felt like March and I'll take a 6" storm anytime...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

For nyc the models were fine once they reversed their northern trend on Sunday. In fact the eps and gfs were spot on 5 days ago at least with the axis of snow if not the amounts

4-8 was a good range for NYC and Long Island.  The highest amounts I could find for either area was 8" in Woodlawn in The Bronx and 8" in a few different places on the northern part of Long Island in both Nassau and Suffolk County.

4-6 was what the rest of the NYC-LI area got outside of the northern parts of the city and the island.

I'm not sure about that 7 inch figure from Coney Island, it seems to be a little too high.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kaner587 said:

@uofmiamileft for work right as final band was coming through and I was around 7 or just over so imagine 7.5-8

8 inches does seem to be the high end for NYC-LI and there were widespread 8" amounts from The Bronx to the northern parts of LI.

4-6 for the southern and central parts of NYC-LI

4-8 was a really good overall prediction for our area.

• Like 1

Yup, final is 12". It ranged from 9" on a southern exposure that saw a fair bit of wind to 14" on car tops and garbage cans. Around the yard on the ground ran from 11 on the flat to 14 on the N side in a shady spot.

It looks great, I have 5 foot high snowbanks at the bottom of the driveway for the first time in a few years, the roads are dry already and I didn't run out of beer before I finished shoveling. Good storm! Puts me at 20" for the season :(

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

How was snowman19’s forecast for this one? :yikes:

I don't even remember what his forecast was lol.  You must have had one of the higher numbers though, did you measure this storm?

The highest number I could find from either the city or long island was 8.1" from Glen Cove. Lots of 8.0s from northern parts of the city and northern parts of long island though.

2 hours ago, snowman19 said:

I got this storm all wrong. Definitely one of the most challenging storms I’ve ever seen since I’ve been a weather hobbyist. Never seen the models this bad, this close in. But I’m more than happy to admit I was wrong.

744 days was a pretty good run.

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Yeah, just saw that too; wasn't mine as I had 6.0" and didn't report it yet (I usually do post them on the NWS FB page - sometimes they get used, sometimes not).  Surprised that Metuchen seems to have gotten the most in Middlesex County, although I've seen reports not too far N of us in Union County (Westfield, Roselle, etc.) of 7-8", so maybe not a surprise.  Maybe that subsidence death band hurt folks south of us more than it hurt us and we did get a hellaciously good band, getting 1.75" in one hour through 8:30 am. 

The snow hole held us down to 6" in Garwood, central Union County.  The skies started to brighten around 9Am, and I knew the heavy snow was over, even though I was assured "more" was headed my way as the storm began to wrap around...

• Like 1