Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/13 Significant/Major Winter Storm Discussion & Observations

Northof78

3 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Thats sad. Wish they took it more seriously.

Smh they do this every time. So they have about 6" for the season. Still a ratter winter lol. I have about 8.5-9" for the season here in Bayside. Bleh.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

One thing everyone should always remember is that the snow to liquid ratio is usually 10:1, in other words, the typical variability of a rainstorm is magnified 10x in a typical snowstorm.  So a difference between half an inch of rain and a full inch of rain becomes the difference between 5 inches of snow and 10 inches of snow.  Which is why when people hear or see a forecast for 5-10 inches of snow they shouldn't assume they'll get 10 inches.  It could just as easily be 5 inches.

Liberty - that is not a correct statement.   That figure is more commonly used as a point of reference to relate the amount of QPF progged to expected snow amounts.  In coastal areas (and inland too) the ratio can range from 5:1 in warmer storms with BL issues to 10:1 in slightly colder storms.  15:1 ratios can occur with colder storms accompanied by optimal conditions aloft.  

We don’t know that they do measure low.

It is a narrative on this site.

If it was really that bad at one of the Marquis weather sites in the country (because of location) it would be fixed.

The fact that it isnt tells me it isnt as bad or off as many on this site claim it to be. More of a folklore with a little grain of truth gone wild.

• Like 1

Just now, the_other_guy said:

We don’t know that they do measure low.

It is a narrative on this site.

If it was really that bad at one of the Marquis weather sites in the country (because of location) it would be fixed.

The fact that it isnt tells me it isnt as bad or off as many on this site claim it to be. More of a folklore with a little grain of truth gone wild.

Seems in line with LGA and JFK.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

Live your lives and stop fretting over the snow at the park. It is consistent with LGA and not far off from other official measurements. 

LaGuardia was 3.3" and Central Park was 3.2". They are essentially the same. I don't have an issue with the measurement for this storm.

• Like 2

Thread was good-worked out with all the model variability.

Eyeball idea of max snow axis attached. Very sharp northern cutoff N of I84. Click for clarity. 

Little doubt in mind that Postitive snow depth change is an excellent bottom amount of expectations-it's conservative and can temper enthusiasm, then you handle the upside range as you wish via 10 to1, Kuchera , HREF.

Screen Shot 2024-02-13 at 1.31.46 PM.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Thread was good-worked out with all the model variability.

Eyeball idea of max snow axis attached. Very sharp northern cutoff N of I84. Click for clarity. 

Little doubt in mind that Postitive snow depth change is an excellent bottom amount of expectations-it's conservative and can temper enthusiasm, then you handle the upside range as you wish via 10 to1, Kuchera , HREF.

Screen Shot 2024-02-13 at 1.31.46 PM.png

You and Don did an excellent job. Early Spring type snow event

• Like 1