• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid/Late February will be rocking. (This year we mean it!) February long range discussion.

JenkinsJinkies

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Iirc someone noted yesterday how we don't want the PD3 system  unless we are hoping for a 1 and done. Destroys the long term pattern or something. All eggs in one basket type thing.  Suppose if it's the 6z gfs solution tho, most would make that sacrifice.

meh there's no real way to know at all of it's one and done. blocking likely resurfaces from Scandinavia given the SPV weakening and the Aleutian low will retrograde. bird in the hand is worth two in the bush anyway

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

meh there's no real way to know at all of it's one and done. blocking likely resurfaces from Scandinavia given the SPV weakening and the Aleutian low will retrograde. bird in the hand is worth two in the bush anyway

There's putting a cart before the horse and then there's Ralph. Worrying about a storm destroying future storm chances in a disastrous winter does not compute anywhere in my head. Might need a crtl/alt/delete or something 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I see it....the NS phase the gfs is doing is good here. It was @psuhoffman that noted we wanted to see that and not the gfs way it had the PD3 systems prior 3 runs (amplifying the ns to our n and flattening the flow). 

This and and the euro can work and retain the pattern moving forward. 

Perfect!

Awesome to see the ops sensing the HL blocking now and reflecting at the surface.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

It’s part of the weenie handbook. Sacrifice storm X to get storm Y. 

Not worth entertaining another thought, though…

• Like 3

Analogs capturing the blocking aren't really showing much for us here in the big dept. Blizzard of 78 time period showing up but that was a dream crusher event here. But just bad breaks. Track was great it just didn't rip in time. Other than that, everything remains mixy/messy/pasty. Feb 05 and 07 storms have been showing at times.  No classics though. Been that way all year for most of the east nearly all the time. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

There's putting a cart before the horse and then there's Ralph. Worrying about a storm destroying future storm chances in a disastrous winter does not compute anywhere in my head. Might need a crtl/alt/delete or something 

If I could lock in the 6z gfs and call it a winter after PD3 I'm in.

A SECS then a high end MECS.  All within a weeks time. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

If I could lock in the 6z gfs and call it a winter after PD3 I'm in.

A SECS then a high end MECS.  All within a weeks time. 

This just my gut talking and it's too far away to think much about, but I keep thinking the first 10 days of March will be the ripest period for the MA. Maybe active instead of big dog stuff. We'll see how it goes. March wavelengths are volatile. We generally don't go into March with a mid winter storm pattern. Good blocking years have shot their load by March. I can't think of many (or any) Marches with a mean pattern that's showing on weekly/monthly guidance. I'm curious

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Iirc someone noted yesterday how we don't want the PD3 system  unless we are hoping for a 1 and done. Destroys the long term pattern or something. All eggs in one basket type thing.  Suppose if it's the 6z gfs solution tho, most would make that sacrifice.

Don't look a gift horse.

• Like 1

The 6GFS is picking up on a strong High near the Canadian border.....it appears that the CMC and Euro may have it too.....this will ultimately  drive the PD storm.....if that high is as strong as advertised this should be a nice event for most of Virginia

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I did but that was specific to how the gfs was getting to it yesterday with a weird unlikely progression that never developed a block at all. The one storm was unlikely to actually work and it would have meant nothing after either.

The latest gfs run is different. But it’s still handling the high latitudes somewhat differently than other more reliable guidance day 10-15. However the euro took a huge move towards phasing the NS and STJ for the pd threat also. Yes of that happens it could become another mega 50/50 and suppress that next wave but who cares then it would set up another threat around Feb 25 instead of Feb 21-23. We just want the wave train under the block to set up. Not worried about the specifics on individual waves yet. 

I want to see what other guidance has to say today. I don’t put much stock in the gfs when it’s alone. It’s been pretty awful lately. Frankly I give it about as much weight when it’s off on its own as I would the icon or some other obscure data point like the JMA. But the eps is honking like crazy now for one of these waves to hit us in the day 10-20 period (if you include the eps ext). But the wave specifics aren’t resolved yet. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

This just my gut talking and it's too far away to think much about, but I keep thinking the first 10 days of March will be the ripest period for the MA. Maybe active instead of big dog stuff. We'll see how it goes. March wavelengths are volatile. We generally don't go into March with a mid winter storm pattern. Good blocking years have shot their load by March. I can't think of many (or any) Marches with a mean pattern that's showing on weekly/monthly guidance. I'm curious

2018 had great Atlantic  locking but a mediocre pac due to the Nina. Shorter wavelengths mitigate the Nina central pac ridge in March which is why often if we get a snowstorm in a Nina it’s March but it’s still not ideal.  There haven’t been many ninos where the block set in this late. You have to go back to 1964 and 1958 to find a comp March Nino pattern. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Shad said:

Is it bad when you are excited to see what the GFS is showing at hour 240 on the 12z run.   What a stupid hobby

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  The waiting between runs is ridiculous.  We are a strange bunch.  I talk about this stuff at work and people look at me like I'm crazy.  They just want to know if we will have a snow day or not. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic