joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2024

wdrag

1 minute ago, North and West said:

What’s ACE?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/outlooks/hurricane2003/August/background_information.html

Accumulated Cyclone Energy Index

by the way on a related topic, mets in the west pac have been talking about modifying the SS scale to add a Cat 6 for super typhoons of 192 mph or higher.

that reminds me of way back when in the original  tornado Fujita scale there was an F6 category for tornadoes from 320 mph to the speed of sound (640 mph).

it was dropped because no tornado ever reached F6, but for super typhoons in the west pac, there are a few that have reached 192 mph or higher (and in the east pac too.)

17 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

^^^

off the charts warm!

Should be an active hurricane season so the exact tracks will be important with so much SST rocket fuel heading into the season and a developing La Niña.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 about 7.5 inches of snow on 0.47 LE.  Dry out next 5 days till the next threat Thu - Sat later in the week and into next weekend.  warmup overall close of the month and into the first week of next month.

GOES16-NE-GEOCOLOR-600x600.gif

• Like 2

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 69 (2022)
NYC: 68 (2022)
LGA: 66 (1976)

Lows:

EWR: 0 (1979)
NYC: -5 (1896)
LGA: 1 (1979)

Historical:

1894: According to Grazulis, an estimated F2 tornado hits 5 miles south of Warren, Arkansas. An older woman was killed in one of the small homes that were destroyed. In addition, fruit trees were ripped out and carried a half-mile. Another tornado, estimated F3, killed two people in Claiborne County, Louisiana.

1926: A deadly avalanche, Utah's worst, demolishes 14 miner's cottages and a three-story boarding house in Bingham Canyon. Thirty-six were killed and 13 injured. 

1930 - Eureka, CA, reported an all-time record high of 85 degrees, a record which lasted until September of 1983. (The Weather Channel)

1936 - The temperature at McIntosh SD plunged to 58 degrees below zero to establish a state record. (David Ludlum)

1958 - The greatest snowstorm of the mid 20th century struck the northeastern U.S. The storm produced 30 inches of snow in interior New England, including more than 19 inches in 24 hours at the Boston Airport. The same storm produced up to three feet of snow in the Middle Atlantic Coast Region, with 14 inches at Washington D.C., and 15.5 inches at Baltimore MD. The storm resulted in 43 deaths and 500 million dollars damage over the Middle Atlantic Coast States. (David Ludlum)

1958: From the 14th through the 17th, one of the most significant snowstorms of the mid 20th century struck the northeastern U.S. The storm produced 30 inches of snow in the interior of New England, including more than 19 inches in 24 hours at the Boston Airport. The same storm produced up to three feet of snow in the Middle Atlantic Coast Region, with 14 inches in Washington D.C. and 15.5 inches in Baltimore, Maryland. The storm resulted in 43 deaths and 500 million dollars damage over the Middle Atlantic Coast States. 

1973: Snow showers moved across southeast Texas, with most locations only reporting snow flurries. However, the Houston Intercontinental Airport measured 1.4 inches of snow.

1987 - A couple of winter storms, one off the Atlantic coast and another over the south central U.S., produced snow and ice from the Mississippi Valley to the Mid Atlantic Coast Region. Freezing rain produced a coat of ice three inches thick in northern South Carolina, and 30,000 homes around Pee Dee were left without electricity. Parts of south central Kentucky were without electricity for three days following the storm, which was their worst in 35 years. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Santa Ana winds in southern California gusted to 63 mph at Ontario. Heavy snow blanketed parts of Colorado, with 11 inches reported at Strontia. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Low pressure off the Washington coast produced more than a foot of snow in the Cascade Mountains, and more than three inches of rain along the Northern Pacific Coast. Spokane WA was blanketed with 13 inches of snow. Cold arctic air in the Upper Midwest produced all-time record high barometric pressure readings of 31.10 inches at Duluth MN, 31.09 inches at Minneapolis MN, and 31.21 inches at Bismarck ND. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - The biggest winter storm of the season hit the Pacific Coast Region. In northern California, snow fell along the coast, and two day totals in the mountains ranged up to 67 inches at Echo Summit. Snowfall totals in the mountains of southern California ranged up to 48 inches at Green Valley, with 46 inches reported at Big Bear. Up to two feet of snow blanketed the southern Cascade Mountains of Oregon, and 20 to 35 inches were reported in the northern Cascades of Oregon. Up to ten inches of snow blanketed Seattle WA. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, psv88 said:

At 16” for the season this winter moves from an F to a C-, assuming that B is an average season and we are halfway to average. If we get another advisory level snowfall we can bump this up to a C+

This death band did save the season from being one of the worst but it was still a pitiful winter.

Well above normal temperatures (top 5 warmest) and a couple snow events won't change that. 

D+ right now 

Unless we get a KU storm I don't see it ranking better than a C-

• Like 4

Yeah NYC Is at a D so far. Only 1/3rd of seasonal snowfall as the best snow bands continue to miss us in all these events. F winter until today. Maybe we can make it up to C category ? (That would be 20”, similar to 2022 winter). B winter would be average (27-30” inches, won’t happen this season but that’s what a B would be) 

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

This death band did save the season from being one of the worst but it was still a pitiful winter.

Well above normal temperatures (top 5 warmest) and a couple snow events won't change that. 

D+ right now 

Still at a D. 

I do not track temps just snowfall.

Another 4.5 to get me to 20 would bring it up to a C.

Just now, Krs4Lfe said:

Yeah NYC Is at a D so far. Only 1/3rd of seasonal snowfall as the best snow bands continue to miss us in all these events. F winter until today. Maybe we can make it up to C category ? (That would be 20”, similar to 2022 winter). B winter would be average (27-30” inches, won’t happen this season but that’s what a B would be) 

Crazy how CPK stayed out of the heavy stuff on both storms.

2 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

FWIW the GEPS had a much less hostile pattern at the end than the GEFS/EPS did so we'll see if something could still happen in mid March perhaps....I would still expect even if we have a hostile pattern 2/27 to 3/10 it could flip again

Past strong/super El Niños did get less hostile after mid-March. Early-mid March strongly favors a hostile, warmer than normal pattern though, looking back at history. Problem is that post mid-March, minus some very anomalous event, you are really fighting spring climo, sun angle and length of day and it gets worse with each passing day at that point. The clock will really be ticking 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Where are you at with snowfall on the season dude? I just broke 10 inches, but could’ve easily had a bit more if not for poor luck. 

I think you’re in Rockland was it? You must’ve cleaned up in the Tuesday storm. 

I got around 8 inches

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

D+ right now 

For me snow is the most important thing, so even if it's a warm winter it's an ok winter as long as we get average snowfall. Almost up to 20 inches for the winter here, so we're actually about normal snowfall right now. That's enough for me to bump it up to a C, but the grade will go back down a little if we don't get any more snow the rest of the winter. 

Remember we did have that period in January where we had the 2 light snow events in a week and snow stayed on the ground all week because it was so cold. So we had a very good week in January and now a great week in February. Not bad. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

It’s also been very warm. Lowest temperature is like 12. Pretty bad. No Arctic outbreaks. Harbors never got any ice on them. No prolonged cold. 

This is the first time on record that ISP hasn’t dropped below 17° by February 17th.

Time Series Summary for ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Ending Date
Lowest Min Temperature Oct 1 to Feb 17
Missing Count
1 2024-02-17 17 1
2 2002-02-17 15 0
- 1998-02-17 15 0
3 2021-02-17 13 0
- 2020-02-17 13 0
4 2010-02-17 12 0
- 2006-02-17 12 0
5 2012-02-17 10 0