• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday 1/28-midday Monday 29/2024 snowfall and OBS most of the NYC subforum including potential 1/2-2" NYC-LI-heavier toward I84.

wdrag

A short wave currently dropping sewd from the Pacific Northwest dives down into the Four Corners region Friday then lifts out into mid Atlantic states Sunday.  Five day in advance graphics are posted including the EPS which has been steadiest and slipping slightly south as we draw closer to the weekend.  Please read the labels.  Most are 24 hours that end Sunday night...the EPS the fastest. 

The three global models for chance of 1" or more are attached, the EPS for 4+ which has been the highest and most cohesive for the past couple of days and I added the EPS 850MB wind field to show nose of the jet potential enhancement of precipitation Sunday night.  

Mild air in advance of the system will probably mean rain or melting of the wet snow at the start early Sunday, but by Sunday night, it should be cold enough for even untreated pavement accumulations down to I78, of course dependent on snow occurring. A period of ice is possible in the anticipated interior transition to snow--especially hills. 

Cold air flowing southward Monday on gusty winds will probably mean freezing up of whatever slush and possible early Monday delays. 

Uncertainties prevail - including track-flattening-weaker-stronger etc, but think this is worthy of monitoring for a minor-low impact event NYC and a potential light-moderate snow event for the interior from eastern PA across NNJ se NYS CT.  

933 AM Saturday 1/27/24: Changed title to smooth out dates, add OBS,  and delay ending of seeing snow til at least midday Monday. Comments on these changes on the last page (p6) to this moment.

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 9.05.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 9.05.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 9.07.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 9.07.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 9.14.00 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gotta like the 12Z Euro.  Best look so far this season even if cold air might be marginal to start.  If that look or something close to it is real with the closing off upper low where it shows it then it might get interesting.  Especially for the interior.  I'm interested but need to see if these trends persist.   You gotta like the trends this morning / afternoon though.  12Z GEFS not shabby either.  Interested to see 12Z EPS shortly.

• Like 3

Agree.  Probably not good to buy in, instead disorganized lesser approach that I’d WOC D5 winter wx which has 30-49% chc 3+ only hills I 80 north.  I can’t post it as am remote.  I may not be back til tomorrow morning. It’s early to buy big.  Keep it minimal unless stats suggest otherwise

• Like 6

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

Closest comparison to this is probably March 15 99 as far as air mass and storm track, did not have the cards on the table for that til basically go time.  This is about as thread the needle as it gets.

Is it thread the needle ? We have the PNA going for us.

• Weenie 1

You know you are again chasing ghosts right? This has New England written all over it, not south Brooklyn 

For Christ sake cant you people leave us alone? It’s like people aren’t happy to see others with some kind of hope so they have to come in and wrap us with a wet blanket. Apparently everyone needs to be negative, no one should have hope and the world is on fire. This forum is so toxic.

Sorry I’m fresh out of surgery and the meds are kicking in.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 3

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

Don't be a weenie and troll with an icon snow map lol.  This setup is awful.  Just concentrate on that aspect of it and you'll get more respect. 

This setup isn't awful. Yes the first half of the storm is rain but if the transfer happens quick and it's strong then we will flip to snow.

I think some of you are not paying attention to the trend of the PNA ridge out west.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 4

• wdrag changed the title to Sunday 1/28-midday Monday 29/2024 snowfall and OBS most of the NYC subforum including potential 1/2-2" NYC-LI-heavier toward I84.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic