• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

A nice aspect of todays ensemble runs (both GEFS and EPS) is we’re seeing the GOA low retrograding back west at the end of the run. 

This is something @brooklynwx99 and I were pondering the last couple days. He had mentioned that it should theoretically retreat given the PAC jet weakening. It’s good to see guidance trying to pick up on that. 

A window longer than 7-10 days would substantially increase the chances of hitting on a major storm threat. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

A nice aspect of todays ensemble runs (both GEFS and EPS) is we’re seeing the GOA low retrograding back west at the end of the run. 

This is something @brooklynwx99 and I were pondering the last couple days. He had mentioned that it should theoretically retreat given the PAC jet weakening. It’s good to see guidance trying to pick up on that. 

A window longer than 7-10 days would substantially increase the chances of hitting on a major storm threat. 

can pretty easily see the Pacific trough retrograde, heights out west rise, and heights along the EC fall. all of this happens as the block finishes retrograding and weakens... this is the window for that major storm. models would never pick up on a brief PNA spike at range, either

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1707220800-1708300800-1708516800-100-1.thumb.gif.890c5139db711d5f0a4aa5b0435ede5c.gif

• Like 4

the SPV and TPV getting torn to shreds and coupling increases the chance for blocking to reload, likely sometime in the first week of March. you'll get two, maybe three cracks at a big dog. we've spun the KU wheel three times so far in the last two years... you'd think your odds are better than 16% given three more chances in that kind of pattern

3 hours ago, ariof said:

Oh man tell me about it.

In the early days of the Internet, there was a lot of virtuosity about information sharing. Wikipedia is built on this: what if, instead of a book of encyclopedias or a CD-ROM we had a bunch of people go out and crowd-source knowledge about everything. People get their fiefdoms, there is pretty decent moderation (which somehow hasn't broken like most of the rest of the Internet, at least so far) and a wealth of information has been put at people's fingertips.

Another more personal example is cross country ski trail reports (which are weather-dependent, bringing it back towards this forum). Unlike downhill, there are a lot of community trails which don't have much of a web presence, but with a good forum you can pretty easily crowd-source conditions reports, if a relatively small pool of people participate. There's such a site in the Midwest and not only does it work pretty well, but it has been working well with basically the exact same format for about 25 years. It doesn't have bloat, it doesn't have many features, it's basically a guy running a pretty simple SQL database (and frankly, he should add some features, but if it ain't broke, etc). It hasn't been blown up and updated fifteen times with new features that make it much less useful.

Is there one of these for the Northeast? No. There is an app someone started to try to mobilize and real-time this data (and which has gotten a bit of traction in the Midwest, and has East Coast trails, but not a lot of action), but I'm a member of a Facebook group (well, Facebook just started showing me posts at some point) which is a poor replica. There's no map feature, no search feature, it's just people posting photos of them and sometimes with relevant information (where was it, was it good, etc). It's not very useful, but it's very performative. That's what people seem to want now, not to share useful information, but to show what they did to everyone else whether it's useful or not. Why? Because that's where the money is, and we've been trained by Facebook and IG and Twitter to do this, rather than to share information. As an older millennial digital native 1990s Internet person, it's hard to fathom how much we have, but also how much we could have if the whole thing was not based on how rich some tech bros can get. 

This forum, thank goodness, hasn't fallen completely by the wayside. Imagine if this forum were just people posting photos of snow during storms and that was basically all it was, but without where or how much. And model discussions? People who are actually experts explaining things? That's the power of the Internet. It just doesn't much exist anymore.

An aside, the Midwest winter is really awful this year. Minneapolis has pulled 7" of snow so far, with the highest month, 2.7", in October. Their long-term snowfall climo is similar to Boston but less variable, mean of 47 range from 14 to 98. December was a +12 climo, warmest on record (basically BOS normals), January was only +6 thanks to a weeklong cold snap but had 16 days +10 or more and February is off to a +19 start. It's kind of wild, and not in a good way.

Yeah...and this has sort of gone unnoticed.  I had two snowmobiling trips planned in northern WI this season, and both were cancelled since they haven't been able to open the trails.  The most shocking stat of all is that essentially the entire state of WI has bare ground...on February 6th!  There are no words to describe how ridiculous this is. North of 45N, they typically have 10-25+" on the ground now.  The entire Midwest had a 7-day period of winter this season - that's it.

• Like 1

I love the consistency regarding the blocking; both in terms of evolution and placement. I'd be hard pressed to believe there will not be multiple threats over the course of a few weeks. I know there has been a debate as how long this look holds, but I can see it hanging on the longer side. I don't mind the weakening block look b/c as long as the hemispheric configuration remains undisturbed, I could see the block regaining some strength and this would offer another period of potential...maybe even greater potential (for a larger event).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I love the consistency regarding the blocking; both in terms of evolution and placement. I'd be hard pressed to believe there will not be multiple threats over the course of a few weeks. I know there has been a debate as how long this look holds, but I can see it hanging on the longer side. I don't mind the weakening block look b/c as long as the hemispheric configuration remains undisturbed, I could see the block regaining some strength and this would offer another period of potential...maybe even greater potential (for a larger event).

larger storms almost invariably occur when the block finishes retrograding and rots... here is a loop of the preloading pattern for NYC's largest storms. some of these likely apply to SNE as well, so it's applicable

notice how that Pacific trough remains almost the entire time. the PNA is pretty ephemeral and it develops as the block decays

1788766781_ezgif-5-4f03c63769(2).gif.08f1d2c587e3deb8a59b95c67c9e0a6b.gif

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Maybe some 40 OZs and Hanna Montanna skibbies in your future.

• Haha 1

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

larger storms almost invariably occur when the block finishes retrograding and rots... here is a loop of the preloading pattern for NYC's largest storms. some of these likely apply to SNE as well, so it's applicable

notice how that Pacific trough remains almost the entire time. the PNA is pretty ephemeral and it develops as the block decays

1788766781_ezgif-5-4f03c63769(2).gif.08f1d2c587e3deb8a59b95c67c9e0a6b.gif

Gotcha...thanks! I had that reversed. 

And you can see the potential that lies with the upcoming look. Obviously whether or not we can get all the moving pieces to time together is another story, but this is why you focus on pattern first then divulge into details once you get within range.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Gotcha...thanks! I had that reversed. 

And you can see the potential that lies with the upcoming look. Obviously whether or not we can get all the moving pieces to time together is another story, but this is why you focus on pattern first then divulge into details once you get within range.  

this helps. after our initial major blocking spell, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we ran it back. the ECMWF has moved strongly towards another SSW that would quickly couple looking at NAM

ezgif-2-f95166c579.gif.996bc9bb6c5a82f55544e1b3f72b262f.gifgfs_nh-namindex_20240206.png.11b0284650e1b25d8ed3aec207832108.png

• Like 1

Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

this helps. after our initial major blocking spell, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we ran it back. the ECMWF has moved strongly towards another SSW that would quickly couple looking at NAM

ezgif-2-f95166c579.gif.996bc9bb6c5a82f55544e1b3f72b262f.gifgfs_nh-namindex_20240206.png.11b0284650e1b25d8ed3aec207832108.png

Even if it never snows, I have enough in the 'ole @brooklynwx99meteorological spank-tank reservoir to last me all summer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Have to wonder if we're going to get 90% of our seasonal snowstorm in one storm.  

I bet @Heisyis already looking at his calendar wondering when he can come to SNE. 

When does @George001 revert back to last years version.  Strongly suspect we're about to enter into a period where models show exotic solutions. 

49 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Yeah...and this has sort of gone unnoticed.  I had two snowmobiling trips planned in northern WI this season, and both were cancelled since they haven't been able to open the trails.  The most shocking stat of all is that essentially the entire state of WI has bare ground...on February 6th!  There are no words to describe how ridiculous this is. North of 45N, they typically have 10-25+" on the ground now.  The entire Midwest had a 7-day period of winter this season - that's it.

This reminds me of 18 years ago.  In mid-February 2006 a fellow from Corpus Christi called the manager of Aroostook State Park, a few miles west from PQI, asking about snowmobiling.  The manager said it was awful in his area but was decent up in the St. John Valley.  (Seven weeks earlier PQI had a 25" dump, with 33" at CAR, their greatest on record.)  Imagine what the guy from south TX thought when told that northern Maine had crummy snow conditions in Feb.

Conditions here in the Maine foothills are fair to poor - snow is there but all the Dec/Jan rain still makes issues at unbridged crossings.  Better in the mountains.

• Like 1

GYX' current AFD understates the mildness a bit.  Yesterday here was +7, today will be +10 or 11, tomorrow should be about the same and the weekend may approach +20.

.SYNOPSIS...
High pressure gradually builds eastward into our region through
the end of the week with dry weather and seasonable to above
normal temperature
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Weeklies are weenish

They retrograde the GOA/Aleutian low nicely and go strong -AO/-NAO in pulses which is nice too see. 

@Typhoon Tip likes to see it oscillate a bit on magnitude since that is where storminess is most likely. 

• Like 4