• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It was a Flop... February 2024 Disco. Thread

15 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s a huge storm for them …God get over yourselves already. Shit happens. Doesn’t always have to be a CC reason. Total nonsense. 

Why do you get so bent out of shape about climate change talk, it’s kind of weird. It’s likely going to help your winters in terms of larger snowfalls, at least in the short term.

Throwing a tantrum anytime someone mentions it doesn’t change the facts. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I agree with Wolf that there is some overattribution, but I don't feel like this is an example of that...its a pretty egregious case.

No doubt overattribution along with some junk science (the stuff from Jennifer Francis has been pretty widely debunked, for example). But there's some stuff that seems pretty clear.... it's not much of a mystery as to what's happening.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Why do you get so bent out of shape about climate change talk, it’s kind of weird. It’s likely going to help your winters in terms of larger snowfalls, at least in the short term.

Throwing a tantrum anytime someone mentions it doesn’t change the facts. 

Back to back ratters along with CC talk…and our resident pet turns on the community. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

As much as we lament GW, storms like that are going to become more of a possibility...gonna see some insane events, even as climo overall gets a bit more hostile. These past several years are worth that IMO...I'll trade some 6" deals to see that, as those are what I live for.

Funny, I participate on this board b/c although weather fascinates me, I'm here b/c I love the outdoors. One of my takeaways of GW around here is greater variability - feast/famine sort of - lack of consistent snowpack or ice on ponds so the local nordic center can stay open or I can skate outdoors on a regular basis is ruining my winter enjoyment.

• Like 1

Just now, Snowcrazed71 said:

So taking next Tuesday out of the equation, how is it looking for their out as far as future storms for the end of next week into the following week? Do we still see a pattern that's set up to give us snow? Or are we pretty much done?

Looks cool and dry after the needle threader. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Back to back ratters along with CC talk…and our resident pet turns on the community. 

Not turning on anybody…I apologize if that’s how it came across.  And I’m not angry…I just don’t have any time or worry for any of that stuff. It’s happened before, and before we were all around. And It’ll happen again.  There is nothing to fear imo. Not saying things haven’t warmed some, but imo it’ll cycle back again as well. It’s all cyclical. 

And I’m waiting for my CC Blizzards Brett…they can start anytime now…I think we’d all welcome that. 

So I won’t carry any of this on any longer, there’s a thread for it, and it can stay there. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Not turning on anybody…I apologize if that’s how it came across.  And I’m not angry…I just don’t have any time or worry for any of that stuff. It’s happened before, and before we were all around. And It’ll happen again.  There is nothing to fear imo. Not saying things haven’t warmed some, but imo it’ll cycle back again as well. It’s all cyclical. 

And I’m waiting for my CC Blizzards Brett…they can start anytime now…I think we’d all welcome that. 

So I won’t carry any of this on any longer, there’s a thread for it, and it can stay there. 

Not all....some of it is anthropogenic. That isn't debatable, either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I agree with Wolf that there is some overattribution, but I don't feel like this is an example of that...its a pretty egregious case.

It would have been a monster storm without CC. I think that is where people get tied up in knots. I mean, there was 50”+ in the 1888 blizzard down at our latitudes (just not in eastern areas) too. So yeah…CC enhanced it, but it’s not like that would’ve been a run-of-the-mill 25” blizzard without it. 

Atmospheric Water vapor increases about 7% with every degree Celsius rise…so you can do some quick math to see how much extra water we’re working with compared to several decades ago. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

It would have been a monster storm without CC. I think that is where people get tied up in knots. I mean, there was 50”+ in the 1888 blizzard down at our latitudes (just not in eastern areas) too. So yeah…CC enhanced it, but it’s not like that would’ve been a run-of-the-mill 25” blizzard without it. 

Atmospheric Water vapor increases about 7% with every degree Celsius rise…so you can do some quick math to see how much extra water we’re working with compared to several decades ago. 

Exactly. All I am saying...you know I am not one of those CC zealots.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

GFqaf8UWUAE19Kh.png

I’m in Quincy today and could see the line of clouds just to the west when I left home but then everything got thicker and thicker overcast as I went east. Pretty cool to see. 

• Weenie 1

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The media, both general and social create so much tension because they sensationalize everything....and not just with respect to CC, either...race, everything. Not to get political...I'll zip it.

I think the problem is money.  

Humanity ( ... by this we mean 'developed world' that has 'bought' into the economics as a social fabric ) has found enough stability within the Industrial Revolution/bubble, that it is able to assign economic value to everything.  Literally... not just figuratively, just about every breath that is taken is somehow being incentivized around profit. 

We create this thing that should be a natural wonder ( really! ) called the internet - when has that happened in Earth's history. A means for 8 billion nodes of [ paradoxically dimming ...] intellect to plug into what's is almost analogical to a "planetary brain"  It may not be the trillions of dendritic connections (yet), when comparing to a biological brain, but wait that out.  We'll see what happens when the "genius" of AI - eh hm -  comes to some future nexus with Quantum Computing ...  digress.

The Internet's usefulness has been reducing.  At this point along it's tech evolution, you cannot even formulate simple inquiries because if "time is money" in a system that is entirely incentivizing surrounding the goal of acquiring it ... you have to wade through minutes in countless sponsored agenda ...sending you down a consuming rabbit hole - and their clever about it all, too. They make you think you're getting your question answered, ...until you end up in a "concept cul-de-sac," the only way out of ... you almost have to re-install the fucking OS of your access terminal.  It's like a bate and switch system lock.. Oh, you can directly access the answer to your question with money, buuut the membership requires you give them all this contact info so that you can become mercilessly harangued until you buy more information... and on and on...  Ask a simple question. 

It's gross and it's a detriment to progress... and all that possible feed back that can be so advantaged at a species' evolutionary level is tragically redirected someplace else for the acquisition of wealth instead.

The internet tainting by economics is just one example.   News media et al, regardless of medium of delivery ... incentivizes surrounding profit motifs.   Reality itself seems to be unavailable without paying for it.  This is why no one trusts anything - and it all started with the stability of the "Industrial Bubble" ..inside of which economics can flourish without any other goal needed

There's an extinction event going on, alright.. it's in virtuosity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’m in Quincy today and could see the line of clouds just to the west when I left home but then everything got thicker and thicker overcast as I went east. Pretty cool to see. 

I just take it as this winter kicking this area in the teeth one more time. 

I do see breaks here however so maybe moving out soon?

ICON wants to play ball but more for 2/14 rather than 2/12-13. It lags the southern stream behind and let’s northern stream outrun it and then amplifies the southern stream into the main event. That’s a pretty good look because it creates a better antecedent airmass out ahead of the storm. 

We’ll see what the real models say in a bit. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I have a nice view out of our office looking west on the 9th floor in Cambridge. Started out the day OVC, but could see the edge of the ceiling about 10 miles west. It has slowly pushed east and is now BKN but looking west is SCT or even FEW.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ICON wants to play ball but more for 2/14 rather than 2/12-13. It lags the southern stream behind and let’s northern stream outrun it and then amplifies the southern stream into the main event. That’s a pretty good look because it creates a better antecedent airmass out ahead of the storm. 

We’ll see what the real models say in a bit. 

I suspect that is a trend.

• Like 2