Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 18-19 Storm Threat: Bob Chill made me do it

stormtracker

5 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

6z ICON looks decently moist.  Would be nice to get this precip in closer to 4-5 am to maximize the accumulations.  If it comes in closer to 7-9 am it’ll be lower impact. 

Does the timing with daylight really matter in mid-January?

I always thought it’s much more of a factor in late February and March.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Does the timing with daylight really matter in mid-January?

I always thought it’s much more of a factor in late February and March.

It does, depending on rates and temperature. But it's much, much more forgiving than late February and March. If it snows decently and it's in the 20's, it will stick without a problem.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Got out the shower looked at the board and see the last page dead.   Then i found out the event is back.  And Andy worried. Y’all suck. 

I’m just hoping to do better than Georgetown at this point

• Haha 10
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

It does, depending on rates and temperature. But it's much, much more forgiving than late February and March. If it snows decently and it's in the 20's, it will stick without a problem.

Yeah, combo of rates and temp and flake type as well. 3/9/99 was an entirely daytime event and accumulated 8 inches in DC proper b/c it was ripping fatties all day long. 3/5/15 to a lesser extent as well. But tiny flakes with light rates will even have issues in midday in January. At least this week the snowcover and cold should help going in. How this potentially juices up to be something beyond a light event I'll defer to the smart kids here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Woke up and see 1 page added to the thread and thought it was storm cancel. Everyone’s so chill about snow after getting 4-5” yesterday.

Same reaction- thought me must be hosed. Then, on reflection, realized if it was bad there would definitely be pages and pages complaining about it…

• Haha 1

I mean look. The focus right now has been a bit further north push.  I think we still get in on 1-2 maybe even 1-3 to freshen up things.  And there’s still change to change this bad boy.  I’ll be around after the GFS. I’ll be attending a meeting that 100% could have been an email from 10-11:30.  I literally put it in an email and it covers every single thing this “meeting” is supposed to be about.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

I mean look. The focus right now has been a bit further north push.  I think we still get in on 1-2 maybe even 1-3 to freshen up things.  And there’s still change to change this bad boy.  I’ll be around after the GFS. I’ll be attending a meeting that 100% could have been an email from 10-11:30.  I literally put it in an email and it covers every single thing this “meeting” is supposed to be about.  

rookie move to schedule calls/meeting during 12z model runs....do better

• Haha 10

44 minutes ago, ovechkin said:

Yeah, combo of rates and temp and flake type as well. 3/9/99 was an entirely daytime event and accumulated 8 inches in DC proper b/c it was ripping fatties all day long. 3/5/15 to a lesser extent as well. But tiny flakes with light rates will even have issues in midday in January. At least this week the snowcover and cold should help going in. How this potentially juices up to be something beyond a light event I'll defer to the smart kids here. 

I don't think I've ever seen a darker sky in winter than during that March 1999 event. One of the coolest mid-tier storms ever. It just ripped like hell for several hours. I don't remember it being that well forecast, but I'm not sure on that one. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic