joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
XMAS Miracle: Blizzard of 2010 Lead-in Dialogue

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because they have handled the event poorly and it will surprise a great many people during one of the busiest travel times of the year. Discounting all of the runs yesterday was silly. Many of the mets here knew it, or that they should at least be paid attention to and not tossed in the garbage. If this verifies...ouch.

Who's handled this event poorly? It shouldn't be a surprise that nobody really knows about the WSW's just yet, they were issued overnight and it's only 9:10 in the morning on Christmas Day, people will find out themselves soon.

Who's handled this event poorly? It shouldn't be a surprise that nobody really knows about the WSW's just yet, they were issued overnight and it's only 9:10 in the morning on Christmas Day, people will find out themselves soon.

NCEP yesterday...and that's the point, it should have at least been more public instead of "Look, a solution with big snow, trash it"...great work here by everyone who looked past that and didn't try to find an error every run. This is a huge travel time and finding out about it when you're in the middle of it will stink.

not sure what the problem is... looks ok to me, but I am far from the level you guys are.

I'm not saying this is what's going on with the run but Scott and Will talked a ton about feedback on yesterdays 12z. IE, it disrupts and causes it to shift everything a bit east in a nutshell.

These is leagues different than the 6z GFS through the first 30 hours.

AND IT DOESNT SUCK

Dude, we deserve a BIG storm. It has been too long for many of us. This 6-12" stuff is fine, but...

Well I don't disagree that we do deserve it but it is what it is, many of us here have really yet to see any snow this winter and this will be very enjoyable if it works out. And that's the thing, I want to enjoy it, so if I go into this expecting 12''+ and get only 8'' that's setting myself up for disappointment and I won't be happy which means I won't enjoy it as much. Too each their own but I just like setting low standards so I give myself a better shot at being happy.

I'm not saying this is what's going on with the run but Scott and Will talked a ton about feedback on yesterdays 12z. IE, it disrupts and causes it to shift everything a bit east in a nutshell.

These is leagues different than the 6z GFS through the first 30 hours.

AND IT DOESNT SUCK

Sorry--I thought it was slower/east. I should just let you folks speak at these times. Carry on!!!!

Yeah not sure what he thinks could have been done better. They can only issue watches within 48 hours of the event. Issuing overnight means a lead time of what 36-40 hours? I'd say that's pretty good lead time in a forecast as difficult as this one. I think the fact that we've been tracking this storm for over a week has led to time distortion for some. We're still more than a day away from the start of this thing and I'd say it's not a done deal or slam dunk by any means.

NCEP yesterday...and that's the point, it should have at least been more public instead of "Look, a solution with big snow, trash it"...great work here by everyone who looked past that and didn't try to find an error every run. This is a huge travel time and finding out about it when you're in the middle of it will stink.

Well NCEP wasn't the only ones to have issues, sounded like BOX did as well as a few others according to a post Turtle made overnight. They had reason to believe there was something screwy within the NAM/GFS...now about last night with the 0z runs what they were doing was a little weird, yes but I don't think what NCEP really did hurt the knowledge getting out to the public at all, most of the public turns to local news outlets for weather information and NCEP doesn't really control what TV mets say or what NWS really decides to do. You saw last night, once the 0z suite came in all west many of the mets here really changed their tone.

Archived