• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
XMAS Miracle: Blizzard of 2010 Lead-in Dialogue

40/70 Benchmark

Yeah not sure what he thinks could have been done better. They can only issue watches within 48 hours of the event. Issuing overnight means a lead time of what 36-40 hours? I'd say that's pretty good lead time in a forecast as difficult as this one. I think the fact that we've been tracking this storm for over a week has led to time distortion for some. We're still more than a day away from the start of this thing and I'd say it's not a done deal or slam dunk by any means.

Agreed. There is some excellent lead time on this right now and people should have been aware over this potential. I know at least in CT local news outlets have been highlighting that we do have potential for a big hit and to stay tuned so the word was definitely out there.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't consider 18-30 inches historic in some places sure

I don't think that'll be widespread enough to be historic. If all of CT, MA, RI, and parts of central New England all clock in with 18+ yeah it'll be historic. I think the storm will be moving too fast to dump that kind of snow over a wide area.

This run is fine. Little disconcerting on the trend early though but it regroups. I hope we're not seeing some effects still from yest. Through 36 it obliterates a lot of the 6z QPF down the coast.

Very good continuity in terms of placement at 5h between it's earlier run though by 42-48.

Hate to see it blow up QPF forecasts like that to our sw.

12z NAM is looking BEAUTIFUL...might have to watch for potential dry slot in far eastern areas but it may not be that big of a deal. See this is EXACTLY why it's not good to look at just one or two panels and try to "guess" how good it will look down the road...let the run play out before making these types of statements :D

Really? Why the ramp-down from what everyone else is saying?

I'm concerned about the progressive nature of the system. The "truly" historic events related to residence in the area where the integrated impact was high for sticking around so long. I don't see this stalling.

It will be fierce out of door, but there are thousands of events that were fierce in that way but they didn't stick around long enough to tip any measuring up against kings in the database.

I suppose if even one location breaks "some kind of" at record, you can argue for a "historic" event, but in all fairness - eh.

This run is fine. Little disconcerting on the trend early though but it regroups. I hope we're not seeing some effects still from yest. Through 36 it obliterates a lot of the 6z QPF down the coast.

Very good continuity in terms of placement at 5h between it's earlier run though by 42-48.

Hate to see it blow up QPF forecasts like that to our sw.

I was scared at the early portion here--happy to see the recovery (needless to say).

Just looking at sfc wind progs on UCAR looks like there could be some serious wind issues out towards the Cape...looking like 30-40 knots with even some shades of 40-50 knots mixed in. What could make this storm a bit more in the way of historic is the fact that we could be dealing with some serious winds and that coupled with heavy accumulating snow could lead to lots of tree damage and power outages.

I'm concerned about the progressive nature of the system. The "truly" historic events related to residence in the area where the integrated impact was high for sticking around so long. I don't see this stalling.

It will be fierce out of door, but there are thousands of events that were fierce in that way but they didn't stick around long enough to tip any measuring up against kings in the database.

I suppose if even one location breaks "some kind of" at record, you can argue for a "historic" event, but in all fairness - eh.

Jan 2005 was a pretty progressive system and I think we'd agree it was historic, no?

Archived