• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Threat Thread: The Return of Hope??

stormtracker

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

This is also kinda incorrect. The Euro shows 4-5” totals up towards Mt.PSU, whereas a model like the ICON, GGEM, RGEM have a 2-4 distro…

I understand. I was looking at the 10:1 total for Augusta from 12z at only 1.8.  This is well under the GFS at 3.1  and GEM at 4.7.

4 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

Yeah...about that...

The Rapid Refresh Forecast System -- RRFS -- will ultimately replace the current CAMs, including the NAM, HRRR, ARW, ARW2, and HREF suite. Many aren't on board with that, at least right now, given (a) the poor verification of the RRFS at this point, and (2) while the RRFS is an ensemble, it's ensembles are of the same system. Whereas the HREF is comprised of an ensemble of multiple (different) systems. Not looking forward to that day...hopefully it'll be put off. 

Rapid Refresh Forecast System

GSL, NCEP/EMC, and other partners are working together on a project to design a single-model, convection-allowing, ensemble-based data assimilation, and forecasting system called the Rapid Refresh Forecast System (RRFS). This project aims to develop advanced high-resolution data-assimilation techniques and ensemble-forecasting methods while supporting the unification and simplification of the NCEP modeling suite around the FV3 model. (<-- But the FV3 has been pretty crappy verification-wise).

Within the NOAA model unification effort, the RRFS represents the evolution of the NAM, RAP, HRRR, and HREF systems to a new unified deterministic and ensemble storm-scale system. This new system is targeted for initial operational implementation in late 2024 as a planned replacement for the NAMnest, HRRR, HiResWindows, and HREF. While the standalone regional (SAR) FV3 model is being developed for convection-allowing forecasting of a limited area (CONUS), other possible components of the RRFS are being tested now in the experimental, WRF-based High-Resolution Rapid Refresh Ensemble (HRRRE). Experimental runs of the HRRRE at GSL are focused particularly on:

• Improving 0-12 h high-resolution forecasts through ensemble-based, multi-scale data assimilation
  • Producing spread in 0-36 h ensemble forecasts through initial-condition perturbations, boundary-condition perturbations, and stochastic physics.

GSL is the owner and responsible for all data in this AWS S3 Bucket.

Sounds like they’re having a hard time coming up with a quality system. Oh well. 

• Like 1

Just now, stormtracker said:

yeah, looks like it evens out.  Looks the same as 12z. no huge changes

I like seeing the ass hair more amped early and the axis of precip. 
need to beef up that back end now since the first batch is looking a fair bit wetter. Mesos will be our asset moving into tonight and the overnight 

12 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

18z GFS

snow begins at 9z Monday

Looks like maybe even earlier

Midnight to 6 am tonight : 0.5"-1"

Then Lull

Then resumes around 1 pm and snows periodically until 3 am - but with some lulls : 2-3"

End total 2-4"

That said, I doubt it has the timing and meso features correct, 

EDIT - I was looking at the RRFS at the end for totals lol..corrected above

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Deck Pic said:

Looks like maybe even earlier

Midnight to 6 am tonight : 0.5"-1"

Then Lull

Then resumes around 1 pm and snows periodically until 2 am - but with some lulls : 1-2"

End total 1-3"

So a bit drier than the others

That said, I doubt it has the timing and meso features correct, so I wouldnt sweat it too much

idk with Kuchera this matches the LWX forecast. We la la lock it up with cushion on all sides

1705438800-8S9inePOLcw.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LeesburgWx said:

We need purples. If I can see purples south of me, I need more trends NW

You talk like this and all I want is the 1” that might happen tonight. That’s my most snow in 2 years

• Like 4
  • Haha 1