Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

2 minutes ago, Bigbald said:

It's like that blob of yellows and orange on radar scope is just sitting on morristown.  Impressive!

It’s been snowing quite heavily for awhile! I know we’ve got to be getting close to 3.5-4in by now but I’m not sure but what that might be sleet bc of the brightbanding. I hope not. 

1 minute ago, fountainguy97 said:

Honestly this couldn't be worse timing. Needed this overnight and it's a different ballgame. 

Yeah, we had no mixing issues overnight just very light rates. As soon as 9-10am rolled around and the radar looked nice it flipped to sleet, then rain. What’s crazy is I’m about 10 miles from the line, at most. I’m assuming similar issues in sevier

It's like that blob of yellows and orange on radar scope is just sitting on morristown.  Impressive!

Actually that might not be good for them. That could be, likely bright banding. When snow is in the process of melting on the way down it expands, gets bigger. When it gets bigger it shows up on radar as extremely heavy precipitation. I’ve been under those before and it could be light rain switching back and forth to fat mush flakes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Actually that might not be good for them. That could be, likely bright banding. When snow is in the process of melting on the way down it expands, gets bigger. When it gets bigger it shows up on radar as extremely heavy precipitation. I’ve been under those before and it could be light rain switching back and forth to fat mush flakes.

Interesting, did not know that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

A possible example of this can be seen right now in Florence, Alabama. Radar is showing heavy snow returns over there but the webcam shows a mix of precip types.

https://florenceharbor.com/index.php/350-2/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

2” now. Roads aren’t covered here yet.

Any ground reports from Northern Mississippi? Radar looks intense there.

3.5 inches in Hernando total.  Got an inch from this band in about 1.5 hours. .. but back edge coming quick. Points 20-50 miles south of me, in the WSW-ENE band around Batesville, MS to Oxford and then Northeast to just below Corinth seeing at least 1  to 1.5 inch an hour rates with huge flakes. Maybe two inch an hour rates. Also, heavy sleet in some of that banding.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don’t know what to make of it. Hoping for the ground to remain white at this point. Appears all of the NC border counties are getting blanked right now
I've had steady moderate snow all day at my house (elev 4360) so far about 1500' into NC. 28 up there. Elevation is everything though, 3 miles away at 3100 it's been almost nothing but rain and 32.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Radar always looks more impressive for snow the closer you get to the radar site. You can see this with every event where snow is coming at decent rates over a large area.

Right now you can see the bands that look very intense in a circle around Morristown, especially south and south east where the terrain isn't as ridge/mountainous. Meanwhile there's a strip of the Western Plateau were it appears nothing is happening. But suddenly returns keep appearing as if areas upstream from there are getting snow but you can't see it.

• Like 5

I've joined the 4 inch club.  Maynardville Hwy is passable but the brine is losing the battle.  I'm actually fairly proud of north Knox as I did not see anyone doing donuts in the road or parking lots yet.  Although, for some reason quite a few people stop obeying traffic lights and stop signs in this mess.  Yeah buddy, your diesel truck is cool, but you still need to stop at the red light.  Anyway, very happy to get a pasting in this area.  Might be a 20 year storm before it's over.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic