Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 13-17 (and beyond?) Cold Wave

Geoboy645

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Only made it to -9 this afternoon, even colder than expected.  Daily high will by -8 though which occurred just after midnight.  

Back down to -13 already.  -20 or colder looks like a lock for tonight.

Its crazy to me that the same place that has triple digit hear and 80 degree dewpoints in July and August is this cold in the winter.  

53 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Its crazy to me that the same place that has triple digit hear and 80 degree dewpoints in July and August is this cold in the winter.  

My coworkers in Germany and UK are simply unable to comprehend the extremes of weather we get in the US.

2 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

So far, coldest overnight low I can find in U.S. (at a weather station) was -43 F at Jordan, montana. There have been several near -50 C (-58 F) in western Canada past two days. Just noted -50.6 C at Keg River Alberta early today (-59 F).

This has been pretty historic in the sense that you don't see a lot of -40F to -50F in North America, outside of Alaska. Also some large snowfall values from Oregon (also freezing rain there) to Idaho, Utah, and Colorado (in addition to what we've been discussing here)

extreme temp anomaly 18z GFS.png

nohrsc_72hsnow.conusnew5.png

t-9.gif

havre montana.jpg

Been getting rather frequent frost/ice quakes here in Kenosha next to the lake where we got quite a bit of rain with the last system and only a few inches on the ground. Something I’ve never experienced before. Have had them the past two nights. So that’s kinda cool. Sometimes as many as a half dozen or more per hour in the early morning hours. Silver lining to this nastiness.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheNiño said:

Been getting rather frequent frost/ice quakes here in Kenosha next to the lake where we got quite a bit of rain with the last system and only a few inches on the ground. Something I’ve never experienced before. Have had them the past two nights. So that’s kinda cool. Sometimes as many as a half dozen or more per hour in the early morning hours. Silver lining to this nastiness.

Same thing happening here at my house.  Didn’t know what it was at first.  A few have been very loud.  

• Like 1

Aside from them getting the date wrong, about the most exciting thing to happen this winter here.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL
0215 AM CST MON JAN 16 2024

...RECORD COLD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT SPRINGFIELD IL...

A RECORD COLD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF -3 WAS SET AT SPRINGFIELD IL 
YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 5 SET IN 1888.

17 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

So far, coldest overnight low I can find in U.S. (at a weather station) was -43 F at Jordan, montana. There have been several near -50 C (-58 F) in western Canada past two days. Just noted -50.6 C at Keg River Alberta early today (-59 F).

Rough stuff.

1 hour ago, WeatherMonger said:

Aside from them getting the date wrong, about the most exciting thing to happen this winter here.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL
0215 AM CST MON JAN 16 2024

...RECORD COLD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT SPRINGFIELD IL...

A RECORD COLD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF -3 WAS SET AT SPRINGFIELD IL 
YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 5 SET IN 1888.

Impressive for that far south.

-Teens this am with -sd's for highs away from the lakeshore, although -10 to -11 this morning along the shore with low sd's for highs. Mixing keeping temps from tanking with W winds 5-10 early this am. Gusty day winds from the W 10-20 here in town right now. Wind chills running -20 to -30. Heavy sea smoke across the Lake with LES for the Bayfield area across the big pond from me. She's a chilly one, but normal winter fare my way. After this, lets get back to snow action. :) 

7 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

only sickos enjoy this shit

I have dealt with it my whole life up here, and, yeah, you have to have a couple screws loose to enjoy this stuff. It's rough, and hurts if your in it too long. Wind in this stuff is brutal. Rather have it fairly calm. But when it goes calm, it gets colder. And at that point, just walking in it, and having the air brush your face creates its own wind chill, albeit small.

17 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Went from 12 to 1 with a strong south wind.  Not often that a S wind brings cold air around here.  Cold air wrapping around the lake does weird things at times.

The temperature in GRR has been a bit below what forecast grids have been indicating for the past 24 hours.  It was below zero for quite some time last night and earlier this morning. There’s been a pretty sharp gradient through here.

17 hours ago, DaveNay said:

My coworkers in Germany and UK are simply unable to comprehend the extremes of weather we get in the US.

Most other places in the world that experience extreme seasonal variation are more arid.  The upper Mississippi Valley is kind of unique in how tropical it can get in the summer while still having very harsh winters.  I think the only other place similar is the northeastern part of China.  I think China is a bit more mountainous though and mountains will shelter some areas.  There is no real mountain range anywhere separating the arctic and Siberia from the Midwest US.  Same for humidity from the Gulf / Caribbean.

13 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Most other places in the world that experience extreme seasonal variation are more arid.  The upper Mississippi Valley is kind of unique in how tropical it can get in the summer while still having very harsh winters.  I think the only other place similar is the northeastern part of China.  I think China is a bit more mountainous though and mountains will shelter some areas.  There is no real mountain range anywhere separating the arctic and Siberia from the Midwest US.  Same for humidity from the Gulf / Caribbean.

I beg to differ. Parts of interior BC got up to 120F during the 2021 heatwave, shattering all time records. And BC is practically all mountains except the immediate coastline. However, I believe mountains can definitely play a larger role when it comes to precipitation. That's evident in BC where Burnaby (near Vancouver) averages 79" per year whereas Kamloops, 4 hours inland, averages only 11". 

• Like 1

I will gladly admit to being a sicko then!! :lol: I don't mind below zero weather (likely because I do winter sports).  Having the right clothing is everything.  Was outside for several hours yesterday.  Walked the dog 5 miles this morning.  Not about to move Fairbanks as I love our humid summers here.  But if had to choose between Las Vegas, Phoenix or Fairbanks; easy choice Fairbanks hands down!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I will gladly admit to being a sicko then!! :lol: I don't mind below zero weather (likely because I do winter sports).  Having the right clothing is everything.  Was outside for several hours yesterday.  Walked the dog 5 miles this morning.  Not about to move Fairbanks as I love our humid summers here.  But if had to choose between Las Vegas, Phoenix or Fairbanks; easy choice Fairbanks hands down!!

Time you move to Yellowknife. Here's their forecast for the next 7 days. Every single night for the last 7 days has been below -40F.

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/nt-24_metric_e.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

I beg to differ. Parts of interior BC got up to 120F during the 2021 heatwave, shattering all time records. And BC is practically all mountains except the immediate coastline. However, I believe mountains can definitely play a larger role when it comes to precipitation. That's evident in BC where Burnaby (near Vancouver) averages 79" per year whereas Kamloops, 4 hours inland, averages only 11". 

I don’t think interior BC gets 80 degree dewpoints though.  I have experienced some PNW heatwaves, and they can be very hot and also humid enough to be uncomfortable, but you never get that steamy tropical feel.  It also seems like the most extreme temperatures happen in localized downslope areas.  I noticed Olympia Washington hit 110 while Seattle only got to 101.  It has something to do with the terrain.  There are plenty of extreme places on earth, especially when you consider micro-climates, but the combo of tropical summers and brutal cold winters seems kinda unique to the Midwest US IMO.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I don’t think interior BC gets 80 degree dewpoints though.  I have experienced some PNW heatwaves, and they can be very hot and also humid enough to be uncomfortable, but you never get that steamy tropical feel.  It also seems like the most extreme temperatures happen in localized downslope areas.  I noticed Olympia Washington hit 110 while Seattle only got to 101.  It has something to do with the terrain.  There are plenty of extreme places on earth, especially when you consider micro-climates, but the combo of tropical summers and brutal cold winters seems kinda unique to the Midwest US IMO.

Nope they didn't, you're right. Dewpoints were in the low 50's. Most of the heat they experience in the PNW is dry, desert like heat. Quite different than the heat we experience in the Midwest and GL's. The lakes, especially if they're ice-free or have very little ice, regulate a lot of the temperatures we experience in the winter. It's even more prevalent in areas adjacent to the lakes. Otherwise our climo would probably be similar to the Midwest imo. 

16 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Four of the top five are commonly referred to as "inhospitable". The fifth one is the great plains.

https://www.unmissabletrips.com/guides/12-places-on-earth-with-the-most-extreme-weather-conditions