• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

I'm pretty optimistic about at least 1 decent event this month. I don't like seeing so many runs with mix lines west of 95 tho. It's been a strong personality trait this winter. Sometimes those are hard to shake. We'll see 

This is one of the wettest winters I can remember. There has been no storm break yet. It feels like we are due :(

Long range looks just a bit conflicted on the GEFS. Don't care to pore over the members. The upshot on the LR mean is maybe a mediocre late month period at worst. NA looks ok. The Pacific looks serviceable or better. Verbatim average temps in the east. My wag is it ends up avg or colder than avg.

1706097600-CMK6Or6MhyM.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Long range looks just a bit conflicted on the GEFS. Don't care to pore over the members. The upshot on the LR mean is maybe a mediocre late month period at worst. NA looks ok. The Pacific looks serviceable or better. Verbatim average temps in the east. My wag is it ends up avg or colder than avg.

1706097600-CMK6Or6MhyM.png

yeah, you aren't very warm with the Pacific like that. would last for a week, at most

• Like 3

I like the long range.. ridge builds off the west coast, PNA goes positive.. this positive PNA evolution is fitting exactly the 15 analogs I came up with that had a -PNA Jan 5-13, during an El Nino or Neutral ENSO. I thought it was telling, because in roll forwards you usually see the same variable smoothed out, but it gave me a reversal to -100-120dm Aleutian low and 80dm -epo by Jan 25th. Now look at what's happening when all this positive change is happening on the model... The NAO is +. And it looks like a 2std positive event with -200dm on the D14-15 ensemble mean. I was telling PSUhoffman that, that is what we need right now to flip to a favorable pattern in the Pacific and probably on the west coast.. let's hope these probabilities hold as we go into the last week of January. 

• Like 8

18z control is kind of odd at end of run. Just posting cause it tends to follow OP pretty closely and im bored.

Trough is really positively tilted. It almost looks like it was gonna dig and close off at the back end of the trough, which would have maybe allowed the front to clear first. Almost anafrontal…

Here is 18z eps as well 618e5bfa94d6a1b6367fc584246b2679.jpg

59fe0b351860e4733047a6754dbad0ae.jpg

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic