• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

I'll take the hires Nam. If only the weather was easy aa picking your favorite model run lol. 

There have definitely been better runs for Minneapolis but I think the 18z hrrr shares the wealth the most from what I’ve seen. I’m happy to see Chicago get their blizzard as long as it doesn’t mean we get completely missed like last week lol

18z NAM is 0.0" for IKK surrounded on all sides by some accumulation. Perfect. 

Though honestly, best part is it and the 3k limit the heavy rain to like 0.50-0.75". Can't take much more rainfall around here. River is high. Yards still with standing water from the last deluge.

EDIT: Eh, NAM dumps close to an inch of rain in the end. :thumbsdown:

• Sad 1

Seems to me that some of this recent uptick in snowfall totals for those within the cold conveyor belt is an increase in coverage of the backside/deformation precipitation. One has to wonder if the general lack of convection further south may play a role in this. Ratios will no doubt be higher in this zone as temps crash behind the low.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Seems to me that some of this recent uptick in snowfall totals for those within the cold conveyor belt is an increase in coverage of the backside/deformation precipitation. One has to wonder if the general lack of convection further south may play a role in this. Ratios will no doubt be higher in this zone as temps crash behind the low.

That is a good point. Noticed spc has toned down severe threat due to poor thermodynamics and limited moisture return. So less convection. 

Small error in the LOT WSW text in regards to the counties.  

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Chicago IL
222 PM CST Thu Jan 11 2024

ILZ005-012-013-120430-
/O.UPG.KLOT.WS.A.0002.240112T1200Z-240113T1800Z/
/O.NEW.KLOT.WS.W.0002.240112T0900Z-240113T1800Z/
McHenry-Kane-DuPage-
Including the cities of Crystal Lake, Algonquin, McHenry,
Woodstock, Aurora, Elgin, Naperville, Wheaton, Downers Grove,
Lombard, and Carol Stream
222 PM CST Thu Jan 11 2024

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM FRIDAY TO NOON CST
SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow, strong westerly winds, and dangerous travel
  conditions expected. Total snow accumulations in excess of 8
  inches and wind gusts up to 45 mph expected.

* WHERE...Winnebago, Boone, Ogle, Lee and De Kalb Counties.

* WHEN...From 3 AM Friday to noon CST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Areas
  of blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. The
  hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening
  commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snow may mix with rain up to the Interstate
  88 corridor early Friday afternoon. Snow rates may exceed 1 inch
  per hour at times. Wind gusts up to 45 mph are expected
  primarily Friday evening and may lead to areas of blowing snow
  and very low visibility.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in
your vehicle in case of an emergency.

The latest road conditions for Illinois can be obtained on the
internet at www.gettingaroundillinois.com.

• Like 1

King euro gives better outcome because it concentrates energy in eastern center now developing over AR while some regional model guidance opts to keep energy balanced with western center now forming over w KS. GFS and Canadian appear to take a compromise position on balance of development, slowly increasing energy balance into eastern center.  This can be seen in concentric appearance on Euro and extended double centered appearance on NAM, as well as in differences in central pressure. Solutions with strong primary energy will deepen faster and all-snow regime will consolidate faster also.

Euro deepens so rapidly and intensely that it cranks snow out of all available moisture. I would go with something like an 80% Euro outcome as it could be a bit optimistic on balance issue, but the reduction only applies to areas in doubt, 100% Euro would be applicable on colder side of system

For the tricky se Michigan-nw Ohio-ne IN forecast I would go with rain and thunderstorms to about midnight Friday then a rain-snow mix, a windblown 1-3" ground cover by Sat 15z followed by intervals of blowing snow, final stages of powerful squalls dropping 6-12" further west as low moves away. 

Storm total forecasts: ORD 12, RFD 14, MCI 12, MKE 15, MDW 7, SBN 7, CMI 4, PIA 5, FWA 3, DTW 2, LAN 10, GRR 18, MSN 14, MSP 4, EAU 10, GRB 12, APN 15

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

King euro gives better outcome because it concentrates energy in eastern center now developing over AR while some regional model guidance opts to keep energy balanced with western center now forming over w KS. GFS and Canadian appear to take a compromise position on balance of development, slowly increasing energy balance into eastern center.  This can be seen in concentric appearance on Euro and extended double centered appearance on NAM, as well as in differences in central pressure. Solutions with strong primary energy will deepen faster and all-snow regime will consolidate faster also.

Euro deepens so rapidly and intensely that it cranks snow out of all available moisture. I would go with something like an 80% Euro outcome as it could be a bit optimistic on balance issue, but the reduction only applies to areas in doubt, 100% Euro would be applicable on colder side of system

For the tricky se Michigan-nw Ohio-ne IN forecast I would go with rain and thunderstorms to about midnight Friday then a rain-snow mix, a windblown 1-3" ground cover by Sat 15z followed by intervals of blowing snow, final stages of powerful squalls dropping 6-12" further west as low moves away. 

Storm total forecasts: ORD 12, RFD 14, MCI 12, MKE 15, MDW 7, SBN 7, CMI 4, PIA 5, FWA 3, DTW 2, LAN 10, GRR 18, MSN 14, MSP 4, EAU 10, GRB 12, APN 15

What are your thoughts on the GTA/Niagara?

Toss the RGEM. It was awful with the last storm. Suffers from the same cold/snow bias in marginal systems as other models. 

I knew it was gonna get cold after this storm, but looked at my p&c and it has 0 for a high on Tuesday. That's gonna suck with no snow on the ground. At least the standing water in the yards will be skate-able. :D 

• Sad 1