• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

Got to love Accuweather. https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-weather/perilous-blizzard-to-thrash-midwest-followed-by-dangerous-flash-freeze/1611131

The storm is on track to deliver 8-12 inches of snow to downtown Chicago, with some neighborhoods possibly facing a scenario in which 12-18 inches may pile up. Blowing and drifting snow on top of that will result in snowdrifts several feet high that can cause vehicles to be stuck on highways.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Unreal runs on the GFS...

Almost 24 hours out and it's showing 0" essentially on the Euro & 4-6" on the GFS for Toledo. This is insane

image.thumb.png.44b7cb640f2d40f371ee2ea5164291ea.png

As much as I want it to happen. I don't recall the last time we were on the east side of a low this strong, and it remained snow for more than an hour or two. Could be ripping for an hour or two if dynamic cooling occurs and I guess we'll have to take it. Hopefully the arctic crap behind it doesnt last too long.

The 12z euro snowmap perfectly illustrates the history of how detroit is so close to big snows. Sure the city gets 10+ storms maybe every couple years but the amount that turns out like this one is far greater, maybe 4:1.

4 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

Got to love Accuweather. https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-weather/perilous-blizzard-to-thrash-midwest-followed-by-dangerous-flash-freeze/1611131

The storm is on track to deliver 8-12 inches of snow to downtown Chicago, with some neighborhoods possibly facing a scenario in which 12-18 inches may pile up. Blowing and drifting snow on top of that will result in snowdrifts several feet high that can cause vehicles to be stuck on highways.

Probably have AI writing for them at this point. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Low takes a slightly more northerly route but the WTOD stay a bit further SE. 

If I’m LOT, I’m hoisting WSW for the 88 corridor and north, and WWA for the area south. Then just have to see how the chips fall

How does the 12Z Euro look especially for Chicago ?  Is it similar to the 12z gfs? 

There's a good consensus on the morning stuff really ripping across NE IL at ~12Z
Very strong lift nearly maxing out in the shallow DGZ and then some. Steep lapse rates above 700mb with a hint of some frontogenetic banding. Truly cannot rule out some TSSN in this weenie band. Gonna be snow globing right in time for morning commute. 
Edit: Also, just looked at bufkit, some near 0 EPV in a large portion of this column for a couple hours.

No description available.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Paulie21 said:

There's a good consensus on the morning stuff really ripping across NE IL at ~12Z
Very strong lift nearly maxing out in the shallow DGZ and then some. Steep lapse rates above 700mb with a hint of some frontogenetic banding. Truly cannot rule out some TSSN in this weenie band. Gonna be snow globing right in time for morning commute. 
Edit: Also, just looked at bufkit, some near 0 EPV in a large portion of this column for a couple hours.

What's your take on how far north the warmth pushes thereafter, if you don't mind?

Just now, SchaumburgStormer said:

My wife just asked how much snow to expect. I told her I was calling 8” as my best guess right now for a number. She replied “is that in man inches or real inches” and I have never felt so attacked. 

Ouch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

I think, Ohio, SE Michigan and Southern Ontario (especially Lake Erie shoreline) are hoping the GFS wins out. It's been consistent with a band of 2-4" an hour rates for a while now. 

Most of that 2-4"+ will fall within 3 hours with a robust leading frontal band. If it holds up and temperatures are cold enough, it'll be an intense 2-4" per hour rates for 2 hours before it switches to light snow and drizzle lol. 

Might also be some thunder. 

3 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

This run is going to be a thing of beauty for NE IL. Still absolutely ripping at hr 26 

Probably still some south/east adjustments to be made with it, too. But I think we'd all take this one, please

• Like 1