• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

2 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

A watch for downtown and near lake areas seems highly questionable at this point. At least for now...

Seems appropriate given the 'disclosure'

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The strongest winds with the potential for
  periods of blizzard conditions are expected Friday evening into
  early Saturday. Warmer temperatures near Lake Michigan will
  likely cut into snow accumulations during the day on Friday.

Just now, michaelmantis said:

(Not sure if this is too off topic)

Didn't the split Cook county into a North and South warning zone for Thunderstorms recently? And one would think there would be some split for areas near the Lake in situations like this. 

Cook Co is split into 3 zones for headlines. Will Co has a similar split as well.

1 minute ago, RyanDe680 said:

Seems appropriate given the 'disclosure'

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The strongest winds with the potential for
  periods of blizzard conditions are expected Friday evening into
  early Saturday. Warmer temperatures near Lake Michigan will
  likely cut into snow accumulations during the day on Friday.

I just got back from my parents in Arlington Heights / Des Plains area and the difference in snow in just 15 miles (as the crow flies) where I'm at was clear.

Now how far will the lake impact things is one of the big questions (low placement obviously too!) 

7 minutes ago, madwx said:

8bxf8y.jpg

We've been close to or in the sweet spot with this one for a while...and surprisingly that hasn't really changed.

Should be interesting when I'm trying to leave work around midday Friday.

@madwx I just realized how similar our avatars are ever since I changed mine to a frame from my Keota tornado video; horizon and debris cloud are at about the same level, only difference is my foreground is drab brown since it was taken in March.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CheeselandSkies said:

We've been in close to or in the sweet spot with this one for a while...and surprisingly that hasn't really changed.

Should be interesting when I'm trying to leave work around midday Friday.

Winter Storm watches already getting issued for us up here in the valley. 

29 minutes ago, andyhb said:

18z NAM is a titanic bust for many lol. Have to think that the super warm December up north/lack of snow cover is contributing to all of these marginal temperature events. Basically a hangover from that.

You essentially need a lobe of the PV to come down and bring the real cold like after this storm, but because the PV lobe is lagging behind this system, it doesn't contribute.

Timing of both is just not coming together perfectly.  PV needs to speed up or system slow down.. but then impact works be a miss.  Hard to get it all together

The last system gave me PTSD here in SE Wisconsin near the lake. At least this shouldn’t be a total rainer but it’s still really going to cut into the totals on the lakeshore again and keeping me anxious.

If it pleases the crown, may I please have a few inches before the deep freeze?

• Haha 2

The conversation and model spread (even within ensembles) is similar to what I recall last week before New England's snowstorm on the weekend. The outcome was approximately halfway from worst case scenario rain intrusions to best case all-snow, for eastern MA and coastal CT-RI. BOS ended up 3.8", model (and  also forum member) forecasts were between zero and 10", snow gradient west and north of BOS quite dramatic, 15" at Worcester and 20" near MA-Nh border. It's difficult to remember which models were saying warm and which were going cold but NAM was definitely not consistent run to run. RGEM was consistent but turned out a bit warmer than outcome. I suspect 18z NAM is outside actual guardrails for this event. 

If I had to forecast it now, would say 10 inch line Kenosha s.s.w. to ORD and then w.s.w. towards quad cities, max snow 15-20 around MKE and northern lower MI n.e to APN. Dynamic storm with a wicked lake-effect tail for n IN and sw MI. Temps into 47-53F range into nw Ohio could clip DTW briefly, followed by strong winds in occlusion stage, snow into sw ON will cut off near 401 or as far north as hwy 7, but storm could change phase if it creates a coastal in time. 

Severe storm potential from s.w Ohio to Gulf coast.

• Like 1

Just now, WestMichigan said:

RGEM and ICON buth have less QPF and even with the RGEM east solution snow totals are much lower in MI.

I'm not saying we're gonna jackpot but the rgem actually has higher qpf over towards to dtw, albeit shitty ratios. I also think models may be overdoing the strenghth. Rgem has been pretty consistent. Alot can change in 48 hours.