Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday, January 9 Rain and Wind Storm

Weather Will

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I got 3 evaluations for repairs to my gutters over the holidays. Would have been nice if 2 of the 3 could actually send price estimates so I could have had the repairs done before our 5th heavy rain event in the last month…

And of course as soon as you get the repairs done the Nino firehose will shut off and we'll go bone dry. 

• Like 1

It has been pouring snow out here this morning. Crazy situation. The western half of Frederick county has picked up about 1.5-2” of snow while about 5 air miles away closer to Winchester has only rain. 50 and 522 are a mess. Areas to the sw near New Market are a mess as well. I81 north is completely shut at Mew Market. Here’s a cam from 522

D98153B0-2482-4543-AC1E-612449F4BF10.thumb.jpeg.1a989d2d60e7c35026674104e21038d3.jpeg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

I think Anne Arundel did the early dismissal first and I get it for them with the coastal flood issues. The other MD counties though are mostly follow the leader.

You underestimate the number of creeks and low lying roads in the other counties.

11 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

It has been pouring snow out here this morning. Crazy situation. The western half of Frederick county has picked up about 1.5-2” of snow while about 5 air miles away closer to Winchester has only rain. 50 and 522 are a mess. Areas to the sw near New Market are a mess as well. I81 north is completely shut at Mew Market. Here’s a cam from 522

D98153B0-2482-4543-AC1E-612449F4BF10.thumb.jpeg.1a989d2d60e7c35026674104e21038d3.jpeg

Can confirm the rain!

4 minutes ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

Why are schools closing for a rain/wind storm? 

I ask honestly. While 55MPH gusts are no joke, and can cause power outages, we usually have a few days per year with winds like that and it’s not normally a problem. 

Generally I’d think the majority of those days would be from summer storms when school isn’t in session. I think the more apt comparison here is closing due to hurricane/tropical storm remnants moving through. 

I'm plotting my storm chase for this evening. I'm going to start out at Bacon Ridge. It's AA county's mountain range. Then I'll head to downtown Annopoils. From there I'm thinking Chesapeake Beach. I'll take back roads home from there. I just hope I'm not running weed plants into my house in pitch black due to power outages. I'm thinking about evacuating my plants from my greenhouse before the big gust. 

School is closing because society is soft as f*ck. I remember trees falling on the kids at my bus stop. The ones that got missed dragged the kids that got hit onto the bus. 

• Haha 8

13 minutes ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

Why are schools closing for a rain/wind storm? 

I ask honestly. While 55MPH gusts are no joke, and can cause power outages, we usually have a few days per year with winds like that and its not normally a problem. 

The criteria for closing schools has changed drastically over the decades. My mom told me in the 1960's school would be open with a foot of fresh snow on the ground. When I was in school in the 1990's, it took about 6 inches to close school. Today a squirrel farts wrong and schools close.

As to the reason why, my guess is heightened liability issues. Its just easier to make it up at the end of the year than opening yourself up to lawsuits.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

The criteria for closing schools has changed drastically over the decades. My mom told me in the 1960's school would be open with a foot of fresh snow on the ground. When I was in school in the 1990's, it took about 6 inches to close school. Today a squirrel farts wrong and schools close.

As to the reason why, my guess is heightened liability issues. Its just easier to make it up at the end of the year than opening yourself up to lawsuits.

President day 1987 I got stuck at school all night. No one cried. We ate square pizza slices and drank kool aid until the local red necks rescued us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

FCPS MD just announced a 3 hr early dismissal. Just picked my youngest up, she only has one block at the HS this semester as she had dual enrollment. I am glad they did this though. The last time we had a system come through back in 2021 there were Elementary kids who took busses stranded at their schools due to flooding on the routes. Also don't think I would want my kid on a high profile cheese wagon in the projected winds. 

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

It’s dumping snow at Wisp right now:  https://www.wispresort.com/mountain-report-cams/

I'm really happy for them, but f*ck...I'm a little pissed that the mountain has basically been snow-covered since the morning we left, while it was decidedly not snow-covered while we were there. :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

I'm really happy for them, but f*ck...I'm a little pissed that the mountain has basically been snow-covered since the morning we left, while it was decidedly not snow-covered while we were there. :lol:

Remind me not to be there when you’re there. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic