Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday, December 17 - Monday, December 18, 2023 Storm

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Probably a little stronger. 

The big difference up here will be wind.  We never got into the warm sector and it stayed cold.  Winds were almost calm.  We will roar with this one.  My house on the hill with a SE to SW exposure to the horizen will rock.  Bought a Jackery for quiet green power as we are bound to lose electric.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Wonder how many school districts will have to close tomorrow ?

Just Tolland.  I do hope we get some insane rain totals and high winds and some interesting weather.. this month has been extremely boring, and we are about 10-14 days away from tracking our first winter threat.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

probably quite a few wil have to 

Kev.... Where do you come up with this S&$t??? Lol. Yes.. it will be an impactful storm. But schools closed..... Massive winds..... It's not a hurricane. And your comment about it being a warm Core system? You're like a kid who is waiting to see Santa and his reindeer come flying through the sky Christmas eve.

Let's be done with this rain and wind and bring the Snow in so we can stop the insanity.    ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Kev.... Where do you come up with this S&$t??? Lol. Yes.. it will be an impactful storm. But schools closed..... Massive winds..... It's not a hurricane. And your comment about it being a warm Core system? You're like a kid who is waiting to see Santa and his reindeer come flying through the sky Christmas eve.

Let's be done with this rain and wind and bring the Snow in so we can stop the insanity.    ;-)

A lot of it is just for entertainment purposes..likes to shake things up and create conversation.  Lol. Took me a while to understand this…now we friends.  

But if it goes to the higher end of the spectrum…it could cause issues for the morning, and schools could delay or close for sure. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Just want to pass this on: There is no doubt in my mind about moderate to major impact for virtually all our area Monday, with power outages and moderate to major flooding of some streams lingering into Wednesday.  90-100 knots of 850MB wind over NYC-LI se New England for 3-6 hours tomorrow morning has to cause a fair amount of power outages (80 knots at 850MB in WAA is my trigger). Additionally, if your sump needs electric, better think about safe options.

Safely: your gutters that might be leaf clogged,  might be good to clear the dgutters-downspout ingest area now... again you are your own best safety. Can't risk a falling off a ladder or roof.

The Passaic and Ct River are ensemble based (NAEFS and GEFS) qpf forecast to go into moderate or major flood stage Tue-Wed at couple of locations and many streams seem destined to go at least minor, providing the reality of 3" is realized. That is going to mean problems for those of you near these, detours etc.  Again: this only occurs if 3+" falls in the basin.  I continue to think spotty 5" in 18 hours by Noonish tomorrow.  Follow hydro briefings from the various NWS offices and post here if you wish.  My main concern is the SPC HREF has been lagging on this 3+" amount... I'd like to see this 12z run beef up to at least 3" basin.

Now is the time to getable preparations done, before nightfall and before rain-drizzle becomes widespread with the damage developing toward dawn Monday.  I'll be up monitoring wind reports early tomorrow and as best I can rainfall reports.  

Finally: the snow for Tuesday... in and out on the various models but don't count it out and early in the day.  12z/17 NAM and HRRR still have it.  The 00z EC did, but lost it at 06z.

Interim, especially 18z GFS cycle are not recently deemed as reliable compared to other cycles.  

38 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Prep it and have gas on safe standby to repower if you need it ,and of course, have it ventilated.  No promises on specific locations but this seems to be a useful generator storm

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

A lot of it is just for entertainment purposes..likes to shake things up and create conversation.  Lol. Took me a while to understand this…now we friends.  

But if it goes to the higher end of the spectrum…it could cause issues for the morning, and schools could delay or close for sure. 

Definitely an impactful storm. Dangerous at the bus stops at 6 7 8 am