Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday, December 17 - Monday, December 18, 2023 Storm

weatherwiz

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I know everybody is imby but that’s not really meh for part of the state if that verifies. This time of year I tend to think anything over 55 is starting to ask for trouble. I can see that in parts of eastern coastal CT. 

i was thinking for my area and kevs seems typical  the coast could have issues

• Like 1

We again saw an uptick in this storm system`s lower-level
southeasterly wind field, which will contribute both to the
potential for strong SE/S gusts but also transport an anomalous
plume of deep moisture from the subtropics supporting the risk for
at times heavy rains. Those changes resulted in an increase in winds
and also rainfall with this update. We also noted that the peak
storm surge for the South Coast may take place just before the
Monday noontime high tide, although the timing is still uncertain
and will make or break the coastal

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

Good Sunday morning everyone, It is Dec 17.

This thread will also serve as observations for all the nasty weather ahead. 

My expectations below...probably no different than yours. Follow all NWS warnings-advisories-statements. 

Pockets of 5" across interior NJ/e NYS/w CT...least rain probably e LI.  That will probably cause quite a few small streams to rise into minor flood Monday. Rain quits Monday afternoon. Coastal tidal flooding will be a problem at high tide Monday morning-midday. Squall gusts 50+ MPH for LI/CT/maybe coastal NJ to near Boston Monday morning along with many power outages out there-be prepared for no power from near Atlantic City to near New York City and near Hartford out to the eastern tip of Long Island and Cape Cod. In some cases---power may be out for more than a day... that is still an unknown as power outage prediction is not always accurate-too many variables involved. High wind warnings are already in effect for coastal southern New England.

Tuesday morning I84 corridor northward: It turns much cooler with a 3-9 hour period of snow or mixed rain snow in the morning-early afternoon. Untreated pavements above 1000 feet should become slippery by sunrise Tuesday for only Poconos/ Sussex County NJ and Orange County NY. Valleys little or no pavement accumulation otherwise am expecting 1/2" to at most 3" of wet snow much of the I84 unpaved hilly terrain (grass). It is possible most of the high terrain accumulation in CT/MA occurs late Tuesday afternoon-evening. Many NJ/CT/LI coastal locations should see a short period of mixed snow rain but expect it will be too warm for pavement accums.

Am expecting delays and cancellations, especially near the coasts Monday morning. Follow all NWS warnings and statements.